PDA

View Full Version : 87 Supra Saltra

jasun
08-30-2012, 09:21 AM
Hello all. New to the forums but am looking to buy an older Supra for mainly a wakeboard boar. I have found one local with a 454 v8 wit 950 hours. The guy is asking 4700 for it. I have not looked at it.

Any major things I should check? I have read a lot on I want to make sure I check the stringers and make sure they are in good shape.

Any good way to do this on a boat I do not own?
Also, I am sure the big block is terrible on gas, but I am on a smaller lake so we do not cruise much. Any thoughts on how efficent it would be?

My big question (as of right now) is how is the draft on this deep v? I am on a fish lake and have to go through a channel to get to the speed lake. I currently have a 16' glastron outboard that I have to trim up to pass. the bottom is murky and not sandy so sometimes i will see the "chocolate Milk" behind the boat. Also, my slip is in about ~3' of water but again the bottom is very murky.

Does this boat sit to low?

and finally, how is the wake this thing throws? Does it do good for wakeboarding without any ballast? Does the wake plate do a good job?

Any help is appreciated!!!

One more question, why is the Sultare Nda value less then the Mariah? Is it just demand or a better built boat? I saw an 89 Mariah listed for 9600.

Thanks again!!!!

cadunkle
08-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Try to tighten motor/trans mount bolts. If they spin, the stringers are shot. Also tap along the stringers all the way backa nd forward and around motor mount area with your wrench or screwdriver handle. It should sound solid and sharp, dull or hollow means rot or delamination.

My Saltare burns around 6-7 GPH, that's a mix of riding a little idling through no wake zones and idling between riders.

Draft is around 2', maybe a bit more. Docking in 3' of water you should be pretty safe, but if it's rough or you get a lot of boat wakes I'd be worried about hitting bottom while it rocks in rougher water. I've crossed I've had mine in as little as 2.3' of water on the gauge (there's a shallow lip at edge of marina I use) and it'll churn up some mud. If you have to go through less than 3' of water to get to where you can ride I'd rethink any inboard as it'll be close and you may nd up going through a few props. With so little water you'd be better in a 19' closed bow that weighs nothing as it'll get you a couple extra inches... but of course the wake will be disappointing unless you slalom.

jasun
08-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Try to tighten motor/trans mount bolts. If they spin, the stringers are shot. Also tap along the stringers all the way backa nd forward and around motor mount area with your wrench or screwdriver handle. It should sound solid and sharp, dull or hollow means rot or delamination....

...If you have to go through less than 3' of water to get to where you can ride I'd rethink any inboard as it'll be close....

Thanks for the advice. I am going to look at it this weekend and take your advice and check the stringers. Your one comment above leads me to belive that the draft on this boat is not that much greater then other inboards. Is that what you are getting at? The lake I am on has penty of Direct and V drive boats and there is only going to be inches in difference to how deep this sits compared to say a Moomba or Nautique, then I am not going to worry then.

Thanks

cadunkle
08-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Your draft will be within inches of any similar size/weight inboard. If you have 3' of water you'll have around a foot under the running gear. Close, but doable. I would recommend getting an in hull depth finder, epoxy under the trans (where it's flat, directly in line with running gear). You can set your offset for 1', as your running gear hangs about 1' under the hull at that point. This is how I have mine set.

jasun
08-30-2012, 09:54 AM
If i end up getting this boat, then I will do that... The lake chain I am on is the Indian Lakes chain in NE Indiana. They get deep quick. Because my slip is on a fish lake, it doesnt get choppy at all... plus, when I get in, I sink up above my shin so no real worry about it hitting anything solid.

Do you use yours for skiiing or wakeboarding?

wotan2525
08-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Good wakeboard wake w/ minimal ballast (though I wouldn't run it with none.) Superb surf wake with LOTS of ballast. Plan on upgrading to a perfect pass style system if you really want to get serious about wakeboarding.

Wake-plate does help but the setting for surfing and the setting for wakeboarding are different.... I can only do one or the other without (manually) adjusting it.

I'd put $5 on that boat having stringer issues. Seems like they all do. He must suspect something is up. $4700 is "mechanic special" sort of pricing.

I don't think that the BBC is any less efficient than the small blocks are. I also get 6-7gph while surfing or wakeboarding. Doesn't seem too far off what newer boats use. In fact, my friend with the x-star uses a lot more fuel (and also pushes a lot more weight with a lot more power.)

sybrmike
08-31-2012, 09:44 AM
Congrats on the new old boat. The manual lists the draft at rest for the Salt at 25-1/2", so similar to most older inboards of similar size. It's a versatile hull (although the big hull will never throw a comp slalom wake) & the wakeplate setting can really make a difference in performance, handling, & wake. I switched to split electric actuated tabs & can really see the difference while adjusting on the fly. Maybe it's the slightly tweaked engine or 541 prop, but I seem to run a little less gas than the others @ ~5 gph with a combo of ski/board/surf. My fill ups have been ~ 25-30 gallons after a day (but maybe we're just lazy & slow while out on the water).

devovino
08-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Agreed to all the above, I got a smoking deal on my SALTARE but in the expectation that it would need some work, obvious in the interior being pretty well worn, so that was my first project, came out great! I found some soft spots on the floor ( around the drivers seat, and under the rear seat) but again was expected. However, the boat has been fantastic with routine maintenance the motor runs like a top, and as far as gas consumption probably the same as Sybermike 5gph, but less if we are adrift hanging out, but more if I have 2200 lbs and 4-5 people surfing behind it. I would go into it expecting to do some work ( in fact this winter I suspect ( God willing and the creek dont rise)I will have it in the garage doing some projects and odds and end ) and you will not be surprised, after all it is a boat and does spend 8 months out of the year dry docked, depending on where you live. So thats my 5 cents, hopefully this helps.

jasun
08-31-2012, 06:43 PM
well i went and looked at it. It looks like a 25 year old boat... she's a big bastard too... nothing major. the inerior was done this past year so it is prestine, but it need a new cover, the lights did not work, the speedos do not work.

I tested mounting bolts and they turned, but it felt more like they were tightening and not just spinning... Any thoughts on that???

Also, what would it take to fix the speedo's? from what I could tell there were no "soft spots" in the floor, but behind the passenger seat it felt more loose the soft. does that make sense? The motor has 903 hours on it with 9 put on it this year. He said he replaced the starter, alternator and had the carbs rebuilt last year. It has a Holly 4 Barrel on it.

I asked what kind of prop and he said he did not know, but thought it was more pull then top end. Said he pulled up 5 skiers with it before and 3 were on salalom....

http://images.craigslist.org/5Nc5Le5F73Kf3J93H3c8jd9e6495d2a331f7d.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/5La5Ka5M43K73J23H6c8j705a3b575daf1a56.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/5L95Hc5Jd3G63I13Mec8j1b1a531d37e61554.jpg

Guys is asking 4750 for it for I figure that is about 1500 under Nada, which gives me some money to do any fixing...

Any thoughts?!? I need to make a decision soon!!!

gogger
08-31-2012, 10:29 PM
It is going to need stringers. I have an estimate of $5000 on mine. Planning on having it done this winter. I do love my boat though, so I think she is worth it.

jasun
08-31-2012, 10:36 PM
It is going to need stringers. I have an estimate of $5000 on mine. Planning on having it done this winter. I do love my boat though, so I think she is worth it.

Is that complete tear out? engine removal replacing stringers and floor, engine replacment, and the whole 9 yards?

gogger
08-31-2012, 10:41 PM
Yes that is for the complete deal. If the stringers have never been done, they will eventually need it. I can't advise you on doing it yourself as I haven't and wouldn't attempt it myself. But there are lots of posts of people that have.

I put longer lag bolts in mine and filled the holes with rid rot. It is an epoxy that hardens quite well. So far I have made it through the summer. You might be able to get a while longer out of them. But it may not be worth the risk.

I also spent 3000 to have my interior redone. So you would be ahead there. If you are interested in the boat I would offer him a lot less. Probably $2500. But he probably has at least that in the redone interior.

jasun
08-31-2012, 10:45 PM
how loose where the mounting bolts on yours? i tried the 4 on the transmission and 2 did not turn at all and 2 turned slightly and then stopped...

I'm not against doing this myself, but I would like to get a summer or 2 out of it the way it is...

gogger
08-31-2012, 10:48 PM
One side would not turn at all, the other wouldn't snug. They did with the slightly longer bolts.

jasun
09-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Anyone know where I could find a manual?

gogger
09-02-2012, 08:51 PM
I found one online and was able to print it out.

gogger
09-02-2012, 08:54 PM
http://supraboats.com/owners_manual.html

gogger
09-02-2012, 09:01 PM
try this one
http://www.supraboats.com/library/downloads/90_20-23-Supra_Owner_Manual.pdf

jasun
09-02-2012, 09:20 PM
what grade of fuel do you use?

Blackntan90
09-03-2012, 09:33 AM
In the manual for my small block ford, 89 is -recomended. I have used 87 octane without any problems, but I alse use an octane booster as we usually do not use an entire tank of fuel each month. I wish we could use the boat more, but life sometimes gets in the way of that!