PDA

View Full Version : Another Rudder question.

gogger
08-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Took the rudder out to replace the prop. It isn't like the other rudders I have seen posts on. There is no grease fitting. Nothing in there. Just the rudder shaft coming up through what looks like a couple of big nuts. Is this the rope packing type? No packing in mine? Couldn't find a post on the other type.

Anyone have any ideas what I should do at this point. The boat takes on some water. I think the rudder must be where it is coming from. But we don't leave it in the water so it isn't too bad of a problem. But I would like to fix it correctly.

1989 Pirata.

Didn't get any pics today will try in the morning.

cadunkle
08-30-2012, 10:31 PM
You need to put packing in the big nut that goes on top of the rudder. Probably 2-3 rings. Not sure what size. Adjust like a drivesahft packing, a couple drops or even just to no drips is fine since it doesn't spin like a driveshaft. Note you do not have to remove the rudder to remove the prop or driveshaft. It should be set far enough back to remove prop and offset to port so driveshaft can just squeeze past it. Mine is na '89 Saltare so I'd assume set up the same as your '89 Pirata.

gogger
08-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Is the packing o-rings?

gogger
08-31-2012, 04:52 AM
Well I see the packing on Skidim. Not sure what I can use tomorrow to take the boat out. I will figure something out to use for time being. Insomnia....

Kma4444
08-31-2012, 08:51 AM
Take some coarse material and cut it into strips to wrap around the shaft and fill the area so you can tighten it up and mostly seal it. Smear them liberally with grease, pack them in there and you will be fine for a while.

cadunkle
08-31-2012, 09:41 AM
Well I see the packing on Skidim. Not sure what I can use tomorrow to take the boat out. I will figure something out to use for time being. Insomnia....

No marine shops locally? Any marina or marine parts store would have packing. If you absolutely must use the boat tomorrow (holiday weekend? You're nuts, mine will likely stay dry)... Use some rope of whatever size fits (normal rope, not plastic rope) and slather it with grease. Put your rings in however many will fit, and tighten/adjust packing nut.

gogger
08-31-2012, 11:04 PM
Took the big nut out and there was two pieces of rope in there. They were so old that they hardly hit the rudder shaft. I took them out and mashed them around and put them back in. They worked for today. I will order some new rope and repack in a week or two.