PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help on Starter Relay Wiring

gtbrault
09-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Hey guys - I have an 89 TS6M, 240 hp PCM 351. Recently replaced the batter and starter relay. Last time I tried to start it the starter was locked engaged. In fear of doing that again (nothing like scrambling to disconnect the battery) I did not yet connect the startevr motor thinking I would check voltage to see if somehow my igniton switch was wired funny.
Anyway, hooked up battery and voltmeter to cable that was wired to the starter and turned the ingition to start. Fried the ground wire off the starter relay - I'm just wondering now if I had the darn thing wired right to begin with. Here's what I have currently : four post starter relay two of the posts have letters. There are two large posts - the one labeled 'A' goes to the starter, the other one is hooked to the battery positive cable. The one labeled 'S' has the white wire from the neutral safety switch. The final post is a brass post, smaller that the others - this is where I had my ground wire...that is now in need of replacement....
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gtbrault
09-02-2012, 10:38 AM
So I've had time to think on this some...and forgot to mention that I installed an electronic conversion - maybe got the wires crossed there? I'll be checking and re-checking today.

michael hunter
09-02-2012, 10:14 PM
The terminal you had a ground wire on is the I terminal it goes to the pos terminal of the ignition coil . The relay grounds through the bracket no additional grounds are needed.

gtbrault
09-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks Michael - I'll take a look at it tonight. I was able to look yesterday morning and the ground wire does have an "I" on it.

lively
09-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Looking at the solenoid : right lug goes to starter / left lug goes to + batt / bottom small lug to Ign (I)..

gtbrault
09-04-2012, 11:14 PM

So do I have my starter and battery backwards??? The black wire that is hooked up to the ignition post is the one that was grounded. So I need a wire from my resistor to the starter relay, right?

michael hunter
09-05-2012, 06:33 PM

So do I have my starter and battery backwards??? The black wire that is hooked up to the ignition post is the one that was grounded. So I need a wire from my resistor to the starter relay, right?
Not necessarily I dont know if the electronic ignition you have requires it . Give me a call and Ill talk you through it. 219-712-5060

gtbrault
09-07-2012, 11:30 AM
I got a message from Vince at skidim.com - he told me to wire the black to a wire on my resistor - I'll give that a shot and see if it works, if not I may be calling you Sunday afternoon. I appreciate the offer though.