PDA

View Full Version : New to me '87 Saltare

jasun
09-02-2012, 10:33 AM
Well All be willing, I should be picking up an 87 Saltare this week. It is in decent shape and I am excited to get it. Im currently running a 71 16' Glastron with an 80hp Merc. it is going to be quite the change from that. I am excited about all the room this boat has. It will be great to take the family on thelake for the day.

The interor was redone this spring. Stringers and floor seem solid and the engine looked clean and sounded great.

The issues I saw with it where the following:
Speedos do not work
some scratches in the hull (minor ones really)
Small drip near the exhaust headers (looked like a fitting or something was loose where the water came in to cool the engine)
the black rubber bumper around the outside of the boat had some gouges in it (where can I find something like that to replace it?)
the radio did not work
the lights did not work (I can figure out the wireing)
It is red and is faded around the top so I would like to wet sand that an polish it
It alse needs a new cover

I am hoping to get it by Wed or thursday of next week. When I do, I will post up some pictures.

My long term plan is to put a tower on it and make it a nice wakeboard boat.

Any help in figuring out the speedo issue? Is everyting pretty accessable to trace the tubes from the back to the front?

Glad I found this place as I did a lot of research before deciding to buy.

Thanks!

Blackntan90
09-03-2012, 09:42 AM
On the speedo issue, I keep a short piece of guitar string on the boat to un-plug debris that gets stuck in the pick-ups. You can test the speedo's usingby disconnesting the hose at the pick-ups and using compressed air regulated to 5-10 PSI MAX. It will take 2 people to see if the speedo's are reading as you apply the air to the tubes, be very careful that you regulate the air to 5-10 PSI. If too much pressure is applied you will damage an otherwise good (and hard to find) part. On the lights, check the breakers first, then the bulbs. Keep it simple in your trouble-shooting, these are pretty simple machines. Good luck!