PDA

View Full Version : Loosing power under full throttle ..?

lively
09-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Well I have replaced the intake gaskets due to oil leak on rear valley and it has been running fine ..
At full throttle it sits at 4k rpm , but now it tends to act like it is not getting enough fuel or more of a dog out of
The hole ... All I have been doing is driving it so I'm just wondering if anyone has had that happen before .. Carb
Hasn't had a rebuild , but it still running good .. Timing is 9 ATDC so maybe retard ? ...
Thanks ,
Lively

chrisk
09-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Have the same issue going on in the thread "Poor Performing 351." Haven't had any responses recently so I'll be following your thread closely. I'm beginning to think carb rebuild but I'm far from an expert.

kreckley
09-05-2012, 10:18 AM
dog out of hole can be accel pump Think toooo much fuel also Rebuild on the carb on older boats with new seats (in carb) clean any buildup off floats goes a long way Wouldn't mess with time

SquamInboards
09-05-2012, 04:43 PM
I agree that a carb rebuild would be a great way to eliminate a whole mess of potential fuel/air mixture related issues. If you've recently replaced intake manifold gaskets, it's possible you introduced a tiny air leak somewhere, that's only causing a problem at high RPM. Double check that everything is torqued down correctly, just for kicks. Not likely, but again that's why if you can say for sure the carb is perfect, then you can start looking elsewhere.

I also agree with kreckley that if it was running fine and you didn't mess with timing, you shouldn't have to touch it, however, you shouldn't be 9 degrees ATC - more like 6 or 10 BTC with this motor. Are you sure it was ATC? If so, what RPM did you check it at?

crystal waters
09-07-2012, 12:12 PM
check your mixture adjustment on your carb---could be that simple.

lively
09-10-2012, 09:06 PM
just a few updates . i set the timing per ford factory settings to get full advance and reatard .... i think im going to rebuild the carb coming up soon , only cause thats the only thing i havent touched on this boat lol.. but thought came to my mind a day or so ago ... i believe the gas is exiting the bowls faster than it can enter , i did a fuel flow test in a sprite bottle and seems fine... and i know from working on others that fuel lines can weaken and cause that same issue ... but its weird its like ill back it off the trailer haul ass from the bouy to the cove and it will stay pegged at 4k and not move .. but when i go to wake or tube it seem to start hesitating from 3928 -3000 rpm and i know the intake is not seeping air . i did a leak down test on the whole block ( cly,coolant,heads,intake) .. i really just need to read up on the external float adjustments and go that route first i guess.. any thoughts?