PDA

View Full Version : Mariah Classic

sjpitts
09-27-2005, 10:10 AM
I have been looking for cheap wakeboard boat for a while, and I may have just found one. The boat is a 21 foot direct drive, open bow boat. It says “Mariah Classic” and “Kelvar Supertrac” on the sides. It has a 351 PCM engine, is 21 feet long, and holds 8 people. It is a 1989 and has 715 hours on it.

The boat itself looks pretty clean. The engine and interior are pretty nice, but it does have a big ding on one of the rub rails. The trailer, OTOH, has a big dent in the frame, so big that the trailer doesn’t look straight.

At first I thought “Mariah” was the brand of boat, but I searched and now think it may be a Supra.

Is this a decent family wakeboard boat? I don’t need an “intense” boat---no one in my family is that good a wakeboarder. Just a decent boat.

Are old supra’s good boats? I know they are now, but I don’t know how they were in 1989?

How good do these boats work in rougher water? I am in Arizona, where the lakes are far and few between, and crowded. In the summer time, the water at Saguaro lake gets pretty choppy. The boat seemed to have pretty low sides, and a pretty low bow. How does it handle rough water? Worse than other older boats? (like older Sunsetters or Sport Nautiques)

Any areas of concern on this boat? I know it has wood, so I should check it carefully for rot. Anything else?

Finally—one more question—what do these things usually sell for. This boat seems pretty cheap—it is really the first open-bow-direct-drive boat I have seen for under 10k

Thanks

Jared

sjpitts
09-27-2005, 05:03 PM
It looks like I put this in the wrong forum-- it should probably be in general chat. Can it be moved?

Thanks

Jared

1988comp
10-10-2005, 05:13 PM
we water ski only, never wakeboard, don't even have one.

IMHO, these boats are not family-friendly enough, and they are the EXACT OPPOSITE of what is desired in wakeboarding. With my wake plate corners slight down, I can make a near flat wake with 1988 comp. Even with a load of people, the wake is still nothing near what a big ol' sea ray will produce.

If you are serious about wakeboarding, buy an older sea-ray and put a tower on it, then you will be able to lots of space in the boat, and make big wakes.

The so-called wakeboard boats now are terrible for skiing, and most of them guzzle fuel.
Those gigantic Supras, MAtrercrafts, and Malbu's are for show-offs, not athletic people.