PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Drive Shaft

jasun
09-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Just bought the boat and got it on the water today and beyond the other issue I am having with it not starting, i also had a drip from the drive shaft....

I put a red arrow...

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/shaftleak.jpg

Is this hard to fix or do I take the thing back because it will require a complete tear down?

Thanks!!

mr.jrc
09-05-2012, 10:34 PM
normal, expect at least 1 drip per minute on this type of packing.
the big question is do you have any soft spots in the floor... that is the big $$$ question.

jasun
09-06-2012, 07:24 AM
That is about what I was getting, 1 drip per min. Do you have your auto bildge hooked up?

The floor and stringers seem solid. the front mounts turned maybe a 1/4 turn and stopped and the rear mounts didn't turn at all.

If this is goign to be sitting in the water and not on a lift, is it something worth looking at repacking?

Blackntan90
09-06-2012, 03:44 PM
1 or 2 drops a minute when the shaft is in motion will keep it cool and lubricated to reduce the chance of scoring the shaft. At rest there should be no leak- this can be a tricky thing to acheive. If the boat will be in the water all the time make sure the bilge pump works good, and the battery is good, or you may have some problems.

svahle
09-07-2012, 10:06 AM
I'll just make one suggestion. If the bilge pump isn't new, I'd replace it. I recently had a bilge pump that pumped just fine. The problem was that it would not shut off! As a result, it drained my battery. If your boat is in the water all the time, a mishap like mine could spell disaster.

Dirty Driller
09-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Alright guys. I don't know how much that should drip but I bet it's more than 1 to 2 drops per min. If the purpose of the drip is to lube. and cool it needs more than that? If I am wrong let me know cause I need to fix mine it leaks more than that.

86 Saltere

jasun
09-14-2012, 08:22 AM
Does yours leak just sitting there or only when it is moving?