PDA

View Full Version : Amp or Head Unit? Amps won't come on.

Launchman2000
09-07-2012, 02:21 AM
OK so I finally get time to wire up half my stereo system, I just wanted to get some tunes playing. I have a pyle head unit (nothing fancy, PLCD3MR) wired through a terminal strip and grounded to the auxiallary battery and did the same with the pyle amp (PLMRA620 2000W 6 channel) it's also grounded back to the same battery. I connected the remote/power attena wire to the amp. Turn everything on, radio comes on but the amp does not, no power lights. Checked the voltage on the power wire, 12.7V. With the radio on the voltage at the remote wire is about 4.6V.

So I decided to try my other amp in the same position, Krypt 4 channel 125.4, and got similar results. This amp would not come on either, but i did hear its internal fan kick on when I turned on the head unit. I tried Pyle's tech support line but just got put on hold. Surely both amps can't be bad at the same time. This is my first stereo install so I am probably missing something.

thanks for any help.

wotan2525
09-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Remote turn on should be 12v. Something is up with your head unit.

Launchman2000
09-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks Wotan, gives me a good reason to get a better unit.

I was looking at the Clarion M502.

Wylietunes
09-15-2012, 11:52 AM
I think your 4.6V on the antenna wire is too low. Does the head-unit not have a blue/wht wire specifically designated as "remote"?

Here is a trick you can do for testing purposes. Jump a short wire directly from the amp's B+ terminal to the amp's remote turn-on terminal. If the amps power up, then you know its the turn-on feed from the head-unit.

Let us know what you find and we can continue as needed.

Here are some marine head-units that all offer some form of Ipod or MP3 interface:
Alpine
Clarion
Sony
Kenwood
Poly Planar