PDA

View Full Version : Dog House Vent

murnmill
09-08-2012, 03:35 PM
I'm thinking about adding a vent on the back of my dog house to help with heat soak. Does anyone know if they are sold somewhere?

Why were these added to some make/model/years and not others?

Supra-in-steamboat
09-08-2012, 07:33 PM
I added a blower on the top rear of the dog house. It works excellent. I made a snap on cover for it so if you choose to hang out more than drive, you can cover your vent. It basically pulls from the inside of the house and dumps into the rear compartment on the house. The gas fumes are noticable if you are in the rear of the boat while the vent is open, even with the blower off. Just some thoughts. Good luck.

csuggs
11-08-2012, 01:25 PM
English please?

supraaddict
11-08-2012, 01:26 PM
I think they are confused. Other two posts on two other threads do not make sense either???

Post was removed

haugy
11-08-2012, 06:17 PM
I added a blower on the top rear of the dog house. It works excellent. I made a snap on cover for it so if you choose to hang out more than drive, you can cover your vent. It basically pulls from the inside of the house and dumps into the rear compartment on the house. The gas fumes are noticable if you are in the rear of the boat while the vent is open, even with the blower off. Just some thoughts. Good luck.

Wanna get high, ride in his boat. :D

To the OP, why are you concerned about heat issues? These motors and components should be fine. If your engine is overheating you have other problems and they need to be fixed correctly. Why do you want to vent for heat?

csuggs
11-09-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm thinking about adding a vent on the back of my dog house to help with heat soak. Does anyone know if they are sold somewhere?

Why were these added to some make/model/years and not others?

I thought about doing this at one time as well, and there's a thread on here somewhere about it. But the good folks on this forum talked me out of it and I'm glad they did. You don't want the fumes in your passenger areas. Like Haugy said . . . if everything is functioning as it should, then you won't have heat issues. It's not like this is a new design . . . I mean our boats have run literally for decades like this. I had a small problem last year so I installed a phenolic carb spacer in place of the original cast iron spacer, and I also put a high-temp sleeve over my fuel line between the pump and carb. No more problems. But whenever the boat is idle for very long after running it on a hot day, I prop the engine cover up a few inches to let the trapped heat escape.
Clint

TitanTn
11-11-2012, 07:05 PM
I also put a high-temp sleeve over my fuel line between the pump and carb.

I think this is the secret. I plan on making this mod over the winter. I agree that venting might solve one problem while it creates at least one more.

csuggs
11-12-2012, 09:50 AM
I read some articles on the effects of Ethanol on the vaporization of gas. One article stated that a 10% Ethanol blend will effectively raise the RVP (Reid Vapor Pressure) of fuel by 1psi. The higher the RVP, the more likely the fuel is to vaporize at high temperatures. The same article also pointed out that even though federal regulations require ethanol blends to be no more than 10%, there is no agency to check it. Given this information, it could be that the reason some of us are having fuel related problems with the heat is because of the ethanol content. That's why I took steps to reduce the temp of the fuel, and it seems to have been pretty effective.

Here's a few pics of the mods I did this year for dealing with the temps - first I added a 1" phenolic carb spacer to REPLACE the OEM cast iron spacer. Phenolic spacers are available from Mr. Gasket. However, if you have an OEM carburetor (Holley 4160) like mine that doesn't have a vacuum port for the PCV valve, you will have to drill and tap the phenolic spacer to install a vacuum port. I also had to use a die grinder to cut channels in the bottom of the spacer so that I was pulling vacuum from the primaries on the carb. Sounds complex, but it was an easy modification that didn't take long - just look at the underside of the OEM spacer and make the phenolic spacer look the same.
Also I added a high-temp sleeve that I got from a local speed shop - ran it from the pump to the carb inlet.

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/938cbe29.jpg

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/fed0e910.jpg

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/21a6f304.jpg

Blackntan90
11-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Csuggs, can you plate the carb to match the valvecovers? That motor looks good, I should have done the blue plug wires on mine...next time! I personally thought the idea behind the closed engine compartment was to starve the fire(hopefully). Although at cruising speed, there is plenty of air flowing in and out of the factory vents. At least there should be.

jet
11-14-2012, 09:34 PM
You dont want or need to vent the dog house. #1 It will raise the noise level for the people in the sitting in the area. #2 it will allow smelly fumes to enter the seating area. The engine gets plenty of air from up front and your bilge blower will exit it out the rear. I do open mine for the wipe down after my sessions to get the heat and moisture out so it wont rust my engine surface though.

Supra-in-steamboat
11-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Haugy,CSUGGS, I never had any overheat issues, just a curiosity as to what if the air inside the dog house was 90 degrees and not 130. The blower, mounted to the top of the dog house, is now tied into the boats vents and it works like factory...apologies as I did not upgrade the post, or that I posted incorrectly on another thread. Some of us spend more time playing than thinking and posting. I keep a pretty positive,open mind about all ideas (adding Malibu concepts/parts to Supras) and will continue to do so. Suggesting I am getting people "high" from this vent I added is a bit personal, I don't care how many smileycons you use. Living at 7000 feet already puts Thirsty at a disadvantage, I am simply searching for ways to make my 351 last longer and be happier. So thanks for all the feedback. Hopefully my "english" is clear enough for you to read now. Sorry we can't all be perfect.

csuggs
11-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Oh. Sorry, I thought since you were asking there must be a problem. If you're not having issues that's great!