PDA

View Full Version : Supra Sunsport Windshield coming apart due to screw missing in corner

81Zoomie
09-10-2012, 01:48 PM
I went to shut my walk-through window last night before pulling my 87 Supra SunSport Skier home and it did not close due to the frame pulling away from the glass. Frame, rubber glass seating all looks fine, just need to put it back together and put a new screw in. My question, any thoughts on how to do this? Do I need to take the left side of the windshield completely apart? Can I use like a spray soapy mixture to make it slip back in easily? any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

wotan2525
09-10-2012, 02:14 PM
I've never worked on my windshield, but I have worked on enough classic cars to provide some tips. I'm also not sure that you need a screw (though one might work.) My windshield is all riveted together. You should be able to get a cheap rivet gun and some stainless rivets in the right side and easily tackle this.

As far as getting the glass set back into the channel, I'd use a dish-soap and water mixture, and a rubber mallet and/or a long pipe clamp. Just be gentle!

81Zoomie
09-10-2012, 02:20 PM
I like the idea of rivets but mine definitely has screws holding it together...Thanks for the soapy water trick idea!!

CornRickey
09-10-2012, 04:39 PM
I lost a screw in my Supra and the port front glass came out. I had to take out the remaining screws associated with that section, remove the glass, but the rubber stripping back on the glass then put it all back into the frame.

81Zoomie
09-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Great..thanks for everyone's help..I will hopefully get it put back together this week...

81Zoomie
09-13-2012, 09:11 AM
Finished reassembling the port side front windshield last night. Had to remove the top channel and the right channel. Using soapy water as suggested, put the rubber gasket on the glass first, then the metal channel next....worked like a charm. Most difficult part was attempting to put the screw that is located on the
bottom of the right vertical channel since the clearance is only about half and inch. So using needle nose pliers as my screwdriver...it all back to together now.
:):)