PDA

View Full Version : Steam from heater vent & under dash?

2004LTS
09-12-2012, 04:29 PM
2004 launch LTS has steam coming from heater vent and from under dash.....anyone know what this would be?

supraaddict
09-12-2012, 05:44 PM
I had an issue with steam and found that my heater core had a hole in it and it was pumping water into my heater hoses that pull out of the console. Check the black pull out hoses and make sure they aren't full of water.

SquamInboards
09-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Definitely sounds like cracked heater core. You can get just the core replacement from skidim http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1020

Suprapots99
09-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Out of the two hoses that run to my heater, the front one is cut and capped. Can I assume my heater froze ?
I checked the wiring and the fan still works. Would there be any other reason to cut and cap it?

Also , the back hose is still hooked up with front connection on the heater open to air....is the back hose the return?

supraaddict
09-13-2012, 10:54 AM
If it is capped, it was probably due to the heater core being bad and leaking in the boat. The hose that is capped is your in line and the other a return line. The way I checked my heater core was completely remove the heater from the boat, take the core out (Just undo all screws from the outside housing and core will slide out. put a water hose on one of the inlets, and put your thumb in the outlet, turn hose on and with the outlet plugged water should leak out if the core is bad.

supraaddict
09-13-2012, 10:56 AM
If the core is not too bad, some radiator repair shops might be able to fix your old core, mine was obviously not winterized correctly and had about 6 holes in it, had to be replaced.

docdrs
09-13-2012, 10:44 PM
I think i will put shut off's on my heater hoses for when the core fails. A failure could result in an extremely wet boat.

supraaddict
09-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Probably wouldn't hurt, I just keep extra fittings in the boat so I can hook the fill hose and the return hose together and make a loop if needed.

CornRickey
09-14-2012, 01:06 AM
A local radiator repair shop said they can't fix them from boats and Rv's. There too thin and cheap.