PDA

View Full Version : how many hours is too many?

blazerman
09-21-2012, 01:42 PM
93 comp with over 1000 hours. Run or consider?
Boat looks to be in terrific shape and it is all glass but man, lots of hours....
What does this do to the value? What issues start popping up?

going to try to buy one before everyone puts them away and prices are low, input appreciated

kvand347
09-21-2012, 01:50 PM
I've heard of them running well past 2000 hours, but that is what most will say is their limit given it was well taken care of. Your best bet is to try to figure out how many hours you will put on in a year and see how many years before you hit the 2000 mark. It might be a lot longer than you think!

BTW--I'm almost at 1,000 in my sunsport and she pulls hard! Granted, the PO said it was rebuilt at ~600hrs. No paperwork on that so it can't be trusted!

Jetlink
09-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Depends on overall health of the engine. Compression on the cylinders and such. As Kevin said above, if well taken care of, these engines can run for a long time. I have no idea what the actual hours are on my boat as I bought it with an inop hour meter that read almost 400 hours and since then I have added 80 hours of my own. I bet you can run these engines to 1600 hours before an overhaul if you take good care of the engine and do preventive maintenance more than repairs.

cadunkle
09-21-2012, 02:42 PM
The hull doesn't wear out. Wood rots but that more a factor of how it's cared for and stored rather than hours run. In a 93 you should be all composite anyhow so no worries about that. Mechanical stuff is cheap, fast, and easy to fix. If it runs well and seems taken care of expect at least a few seasons before needing a rebuild. You can use the higher hours as a negotiating tool though to get price down. A Comp should not be too expensive as they're not in as high demand, though being composite will drive that price up. If you like it, don't sweat the hours... An engine rebuild is nothing compared to a stringer job.

crystal waters
09-21-2012, 05:27 PM
If it has been well serviced on a regular basis then 2000 to 2500 hours is possible.
The condition of the boat overall can give you a warm feeling for the way it was maintained in terms of service.
If at all concerned highly recommend you do a compression test on each cylinder.
If all good and you feel price is fair in the end go for it!
The rest in terms of repairs is easy and doable.'
good luck!

DAFF
09-22-2012, 01:04 PM
There is a directly proportiional relationship between hours and maintenance... Many of the low hour boats might have low hours but the rest of the boat shows a different story. If the teak is clean and properly cared for my opinion is the rest of the boat will folow suit. Buying a well serviced boat with high hours would not scare me one bit.

Hagman
09-23-2012, 06:43 PM
I agree with all above. You shouldn’t use Engine time as the judgment of boat. For the most part a look over will tell you if the boat has lived it’s life with a loving owner. In my book that’s the boat to look for first. I had my comp engine rebuilt @ about 1200 hrs. It ended up not needing it. Every thing in side was perfect. 26 years & almost 1800hrs, she’s still almost like new.

haugy
09-24-2012, 08:42 AM
As long as it was maintained, that number means nothing.

My 89 Comp has close to 800 hours on it when the hull was damaged in 98.

I pulled the motor and put it into my CJ7 in 2003. It has been running for 9 years with THOUSANDS of miles and still will burn tires in 3 gears. And I wail on it on the trails.

These motors are as stout as lions, but just make sure they are serviced.

matt k
09-28-2012, 03:37 PM
I look at it like this: 700-800 hours is like 100,000 miles on a car. I car at 100k miles that hasn't been taken care of could easily be a complete hunk of shit and ready for the scrap yard. But a well taken care of car can give you 2-300k miles, with just standard maintenance for the most part. So I guess the point is, when you look at a boat over 700-800 hours, you need to look very carefully, because it could be a diamond in the rough, or it could just be crap.

FWIW, my 87 comp has just shy of 800 hours, and runs great. It has a tiny puff of white smoke when you go to WOT. Some day I'll rebuild it, but it doesn't need it yet. I did rebuild the carb last year.