PDA

View Full Version : Weather changed drastically, Hate to put it away already.

gogger
09-21-2012, 08:32 PM
The weather here in Ohio has gotten cool quick. Went from 90 degree weather to the 60's overnight it seems. I figured it would warm back up for a few days but it hasn't. What do you guys do in the cool weather? Just enjoy boating or do you still board and ski with wetsuits? I have never really had a desire to jump in cold water, but I miss having fun in the water already. What type of wetsuit should I look for if that is what you guys do in the cool water? Just trying to extend the season as long as possible. Then she heads to Tennessee for new stringers....

cadunkle
09-21-2012, 08:53 PM
60s, still good boating weather. I keep riding until temps get below freezing regularly at night, then time to winterize since the boat has to stay outside. I wear an Oneil Psycho 4/3 suit and will wear it next time out. Trunked it last weekend in 66* water temps and was chilly with a heater top. I hat hate cold more than anything, so gotta stay warm while I can. typically water temps when I have to winterize are around 45*-48* for my last run of the season in late Oct/early Nov. Not bad in the 4/3, but my hands and feet are freezing towards the end.

So basically I ride as long as possible without having to drain the block and heater after each run. If I had heated storage I'd probably push a few more weeks at the end of the season. In the winter... Well I gain a few lbs and don't relaly do much. Mostly automotive projects and such, nothing really active, just waiting for warm weather.

Jetlink
09-21-2012, 10:54 PM
I haven't really pushed it too late but in my college years, we would start riding about 3-4 weeks after the ice broke and yeah, we were dumb and rode with no wet suits. Dock starts and hope you ended back by it. If I had a wet suit and wasn't worried about getting caught with a cold snap I'd probably ride longer. The other side of that is the chain that I'm on is low as it is this year and they always do a winter draw down.

DAFF
09-22-2012, 12:58 PM
The winter season and weather will be here early this year. Perhaps even some measurable snow in the lower great lakes by the Americian thanksgiving holiday.

Was out on lake St Claire last weekend and the weather was beautiful. In the middle of the lake we came across a section of peanut butter glass. I infact had to stop the boat and just float there for a few minutes just to take it all in. Kids and myself were frozen after the 40minute drive, tubing all the way back. During this treak I thought to myself that this could be the last of the boat for a while. Weather is drastically changing, perhaps a last outing during the Indian summer for a leaf colour run.

86 century
09-22-2012, 01:10 PM
The way the weather so quick this year I didn't get a chance to take that one last trip to run stabilizer through the fuel system.

I would love to get the wet suits out to go for a ride but no one will go to drive the boat.

wotan2525
09-22-2012, 04:38 PM
VERY cool here today with a frost warning for this evening. I'm going camping. Water temps are still about 65F. I trunk it until 57-58 and then call it a year. I might have another week - 10 days before that happens.

crystal waters
09-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Pulled the boat on Sunday , fully winterized it and washed it all down.
Tonite will vacuum and wash the carpet, do the vinyl and oil the teak.
Tomorrow will wax and detail and then put her into indoor storage for next year.
Sad to take her out of the water but we are fully committed the next three weeks and beyond that our boating season is virtually gone as it gets too cool!