PDA

View Full Version : Damn, first time on lake and problems already.

Gettin'It
09-24-2012, 02:44 PM
02 Supra Launch 21V
OK, one of the problems I knew about when I bought the boat was the RPM gauge doesnt work. Figured I can fix it later. Hard for me to determine top speed though. My malibu I found the red line at about 4800rpm, so I would cruise at 4300 and max accelerate at 4500. WOuld never pay attention to the speedometer. Without this I have no idea where I'm at. What is the top speed on my boat supposed to be?
SO yesterday my boy was driving my malibu and walking away from me when we were racing basically. I'd figure the indamar in my supra would smoke my malibu's Mercruiser 5.7L Blue Sea, but that was not the case. Is it power to weight ratio or something holding my motor back?

During this, the motor started "popping" possibly "backfiring" when giving it a lot of gas. If I backed off and dropped down to about 30-35 it wouldnt do it anymore. Also a have a heavy belt squeal during wakeboarding and some full throttle operation. I'm guessing thats just one of those 2 belts on the back of the motor, I'm gonna go ahead and just order new ones and replace them.

My temp gauge went out yesterday, which was concerning because I like to keep an eye on that all the time!

Ballast issue as well, the front ballast bag filled all the way up, but the right back bag got half full but took forever and the left bag barely filled up. Almost seemed like it was just trickling water into it. Is that a problem with the water manifold?

Is my center(ski locker) supposed to have water in it all the time??

docdrs
09-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Speed depends on the prop. check the numbers on the prop to determine what you have, it may have a wakeboard prop on it and be over reving and limiter coming on. the older moombas and supras may have issues with water finding its way under the ski locker and coming up into it but take some pics or surf the moomba site to check out. do you have the drain on the locker open?

supraaddict
09-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Hate to hear that you had trouble the first time out. I don't know what your engine issue are. As far as your front ski locker goes, mine gets water in it if it rains no matter if I have the boat cover on when it rains. It should not have water in it all the time though. I had a small pinhole in the front ski locker liner and any time that area got wet, water would come up through the hole in the liner even three or four days after I removed my bags and blew out my lines (just something you can check). I always check mine by removing the ballast bag and pushing down on the ski locker liner. You might hear a water sloshing sound when you push down on it, if so, it might be the culprit. Are you shutting off your front fill switch after it is full and still having an issue filling the back sacs? Sometimes in my boat I will fill the back bags first and then the front one because the rear sacs will fill way slower if my front bag is filling first. It's usually a priming the lines issue causing them to fill slowly. Also, check your sprinkler valves. There is a little lever on them that can frustrate a person to no end on our boats. The "Sprinkler Valves" are black valves under your rear seat access panel (Should be 3 of them). Check them with all three pumps on and while filling, see if the lines to the rear sacs are jumping, if so, then they are most likely not priming correctly.

Hope this helps!

CornRickey
09-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Take a air or water hose and force water/air through the locker drain. They get clogged with stuff. Backfire with a loss usually means a lean condition. Might want to check the fuel pressure during the condition.

Gettin'It
09-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Where is the drain in the ski locker? I see the fill hose and the drain pump for the ballast bag. I also see 2 barb fittings in the upper back corners of the locker. Other than that there is just a black rubber pad under the sac. There is ALWAYS water in the locker. I would like to turn my battery switch off but then my bilge pump won't work anymore, I currently have to keep her in the water because my lift is adjusted to my Malibu which is on it and is for sale.

CornRickey
09-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Mines a white fitting right behind the empty pump for the bag. You shoulnt be getting any water in it other than rain. The bulge is slipped enough to where the normal amount of water in it won't flow forward into the ski locker.

Gettin'It
09-25-2012, 09:11 PM
So what's that mean? My packing on my prop shaft is gone? That's about the only place it could be coming in, right? Unless there is a hole, but the hull looks great!