PDA

View Full Version : Starter spins but not engaging.

jerry_t409
09-26-2012, 02:37 PM
So recently I forgot to unplug my plug underneath the engine compartment and it rained the other day. After the rain i turned pump on to remove water and unplug drain plug. Now my starter needs a couple of taps for the solenoid to engage. All it's doing is spinning but i have to tap on it for it to engage into flywheel. Any idea on fixing this without replacing starter?

suprasam
09-26-2012, 02:41 PM
It sounds like your bendix is sticking.....always can try a little WD on it. But you might be looking at a rebuild if it got soaked.

Jetlink
09-26-2012, 04:07 PM
It sounds like your Bendix is sticking.....always can try a little WD on it. But you might be looking at a rebuild if it got soaked. It does indeed sound like the bendix gear is not engaging, Suprasam hit the nail on the head with possible remedies.

michael hunter
09-26-2012, 05:53 PM
If it were mine I would remove it and take it apart . If you are not comfortable with rebuilding yourself take it to a re builder and have it done.

lively
09-26-2012, 06:05 PM
in the elevator trade we use TRIFLOW and man! if it sticking ... that stuff will unstick it for good !!!... grainger carries it ...
or just use a bigger hammer :)

Jetlink
09-26-2012, 11:57 PM
in the elevator trade we use TRIFLOW and man! if it sticking ... that stuff will unstick it for good !!!... grainger carries it ...
or just use a bigger hammer :) And if it breaks because of the hammer, it was meant to be broken and replaced right Lively?

CornRickey
09-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Pull it and clean the bendix with a mild solvent then lube and be done.

lively
10-01-2012, 11:58 PM
And if it breaks because of the hammer, it was meant to be broken and replaced right Lively?that is right my friend ! thats
my means of a good testing !! lol