PDA

View Full Version : Rough running and misfire above 3000 RPM or heavy load-- 1988 Supra Mariah

tryathlete
09-26-2012, 07:57 PM
I thought I would pass along a solution to misfiring that caused me a lot of hassle, which with the help of the internet and Vince of Skidim, we fixed it. I had my boat into a local mechanic whose record with fixing things on my boat being stellar, I could not figure out WHY the dang boat would misfire. New plugs, cap, rotor, coil, fuel filter, carb check including secondary actuation, and lots of time thinking I had a tank of bad GAS.

It turns out, my marine mechanic forgot to screw the distributor cap down on my Pertronix electronic ignition distributor and the rotor basically self-destructed but managed to somehow still deliver a faint enough spark to keep the boat running MOST of the time. Rough idle, misfire at mid-to-higher RPM-- just nuts! I replaced the cap and rotor-- but now the boat seemed to run on 7 of 8 cylinders. Most perplexing. I pulled the rotor again, and a small rubber bushing that fits into the rotor from underneath seemed to be soft 9from the extreme heat of all that happened with the loose cap) and when I removed it I discovered it had a loose metal part around its circumference-- a metal magnet-- one of eight-- one for each cylinder as a magnetic switch to fire for each cylinder. I put the piece back in to ONE of the positions, not sure which one-- and it did NOT work right. Trying to figure out which magnet was in backwards was not going to happen on my watch, so I called Vince to see if I could buy this one piece. Nope-- BUT Vince gave me the name of Pertronix in California who sent me a new part with all 8 magnets in the correct position. I put it in a Whallah!!!

Hope this helps SOMEONE out there from going through my learning curve.

Cheers!