PDA

View Full Version : Removing the Back Seat and Ski Locking....

jasun
09-27-2012, 08:31 PM
How do I get this stupid thing out??

I took out all the screws I could find! are the back the back seats attached to the locker?

Does the thing my daughter is pointing at connected to the locker? It looks like it is made of wood...

Help!

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/Johnson-20120927-00086.jpg

TitanTn
09-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Hmm. I have an 86 Saltare and mine ski locker looks slightly different. And I've never seen an 86 without teak rails. Is this for sure an 86? Mine has some screws that go through the inside of the locker and into the back of the seats. Sounds like you might be missing some screws in that area. They can hide in the carpet, so get a light and search well.

Jetlink
09-27-2012, 11:13 PM
I redid my interior last year and if my ski locker/trunk is anything like yours, what your daughter is pointing to should be wood that is straddling a piece of fiberglass, at least mine was. Beyond that, I can't help with the back seat at all as mine is free floating all the way around. In fact, I have to pull mine in a few weeks when I winterize as I have to replace a blower motor that is back under there as well as check the running gear back there. While I'm at it, Cadunkle has me wanting to pull my tank and inspect the screen and other stuff as I have no clue how old any of that is back there.

jasun
09-28-2012, 07:16 AM
Hmm. I have an 86 Saltare and mine ski locker looks slightly different. And I've never seen an 86 without teak rails. Is this for sure an 86? Mine has some screws that go through the inside of the locker and into the back of the seats. Sounds like you might be missing some screws in that area. They can hide in the carpet, so get a light and search well.

The title says a '86. The guy originally thought it was an 87 but then said it was an 86. It has a fiberglass swim deck....
There is little to no teak on it. Just trim. I looked and looked and looked and did not see any more screws. I can lift the back of it up and the sides, but it seems like it is stuck on that piece Reggie is pointing at.

Here is not a great pic, but one of the inside

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/Johnson-20120927-00087.jpg

I will keep looking and see if I can get it out.

TitanTn
09-28-2012, 07:43 AM
I've never seen an 86 without teak rails and a teak swim platform. It was 87 or 88 when they started including the fiberglass platform and stainless rails. Look at the hull identification number on the back of the boat. I think it's the last two numbers that represent the year model.

I'm willing to bet there are some screws going from inside the locker into the wood back of the seats. If they don't have washers on these screws (and it sounds like they don't) they can be almost impossible to find in the carpet. Since you can rock it back and forth, try to determine approximately where it's still attached to the seats. Narrow down your search, and then use your fingers to search the carpet. You'll likely never see the screw just with the naked eye.

wspeedin
09-28-2012, 08:21 AM
When I was removing my carpeted pieces I used a magnet to find the screws. It is nearly impossible to see the screws with your eyes.

jasun
09-28-2012, 08:31 AM
I will check it again.

I will also check the boat numbers and see, but I know that the Holly Carb has a date stamp of 1776 (177th day ~June 26th) of 86.

crystal waters
09-28-2012, 02:08 PM
last two numbers are the year of the boat!
ie 125466387
the 87 tells you it is a 1987 model

jasun
09-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Found that one extra screw and got it out.

Also looked at the serial number and it does in fact end in 86....

TitanTn
09-29-2012, 08:58 AM
I figured it was just a hard to locate screw. That carpet really can hide them.

That's interesting about the year model. I've never seen an 86 with the stainless rails and fiberglass platform. I wonder if someone upgraded it after the fact.