PDA

View Full Version : Want new wheels. Need advice

TitanTn
09-28-2012, 10:10 PM
I've never really messed with swapping out wheels on anything before, so I'm not sure what I should do/stay away from. I currently have some 205/75/14 tires on 5 lug white, generic looking wheels. I'm wanting to buy some used, chrome wheels just to jazz things up a little. I'm not looking to spend much money on "trailer cosmetics," so I have some questions.

Can I upgrade to 15" wheels without any issues? They're so much more plentiful. I'm assuming I'd need lower profile tires, but I'm guessing it would work fine. So, any tips, suggestions, thoughts?

p.s. Or let's go another direction with the advice. Any thought's on painting the white wheels I have now? I have almost new tires, so that's a consideration as well. Here's a photo.

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/boat_taco_bell2.jpg

michael hunter
09-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Hey Rob.
I would start by painting the exsisting wheels maybe a metal flake silver. They sell wheel paint at Advanced auto parts I did the wifes Lexus wheels and they turned out great.

TitanTn
09-29-2012, 11:49 AM
Hey Rob.
I would start by painting the exsisting wheels maybe a metal flake silver. They sell wheel paint at Advanced auto parts I did the wifes Lexus wheels and they turned out great.

Hmm. Good thought. I never think about the flake paints. When I'm thinking paint I always tend to think about flat colors, but the flake would certainly make a difference. Thanks Michael.

Jetlink
09-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Could also jazz things up with an LED swap on the trailer lights. I did on mine and like it way better.

TitanTn
09-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Could also jazz things up with an LED swap on the trailer lights. I did on mine and like it way better.

Yeah, that's in my plans too. I'm going to do a complete trailer rehab project (sand blast, paint, etc), and part of that is new LED lights.

Jetlink
09-29-2012, 02:07 PM
I was so happy once I finally got all my lights swapped out to LEDs, and on top of it, the trailer lights are nice and bright and almost obnoxious at night. But who cares really, I would rather be visible. Curious to see what you end up doing with the trailer wheels. I should really think about cleaning and scrubbing mine and then polishing them...next spring after it comes out of storage. Headed there in 5 weeks already...:(

haugy
09-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Something that may be neat is to take the white wheels, and then paint the centers (spoke sections) the color of the trailer, and leaving the outer lip white, or vice versa. I know it sounds cheesy, but can look good if done right.

Otherwise, polished aluminum wheels would look great on your trailer.

TitanTn
09-30-2012, 12:22 AM
Well, Michael got me thinking about paint, and the rest of you have confirmed the idea that this might work. I picked up some polished aluminum paint today and will be trying it soon. Anything will be better than these white wheels.

csuggs
09-30-2012, 11:33 AM
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/ba3bfb93.jpg

New aluminum mods are cheaper than you might think.

Here's the link to the one's in the above picture.

http://www.trailer-wheels.com/14x55-Aluminum-Mod-Trailer-Wheel-no-Rivets-5x450-1900-lb-capacity_p_574.html#.UGhx7ZG9KSM

TitanTn
09-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Those are great looking wheels Clint, and it might be where I'm headed when all of this is said and done. But $400 for wheels, and then $50 to swap the tires over is more than I'm wanting to let go of right now. I'm about to take my boat up to Donnie and have him wet sand/buff the whole thing. That's where my boat money will be going this fall.

csuggs
09-30-2012, 08:34 PM
I'm sure it will look awesome! If I were closer I would do the same thing. No one here that I trust though - at least not that I've found. I would also like to have a new captains chair upholstered with my material. I don't need wet sanded, just buffed.

KG's Supra24
10-01-2012, 10:35 AM
I ended up sandblasting and powdercoating my factory 14's. This is my 2nd season with them and they have held up great.

wotan2525
10-01-2012, 11:47 AM
I bought some Chrysler 300 wheels w/ tires for $300 total on Craiglist. The tires were about 50%. When I need to replace them, I'll be able to find used radial tires for a lot less than trailer tires.

http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu79/rbosworth/20120518_182220.jpg

Plus.... I usually don't trailer very far or very fast. Did do a 500mile round trip this year without issue, though.

csuggs
10-02-2012, 08:50 AM
Wotan - just keep in mind that trailer tires have a sidewall that is made to withstand the side-load stress that comes with tandem axles while turning. Passenger car tires don't generally have that. I would highly recommend trailer tires for any tandem axle trailer - it's just a little extra cheap insurance for your boat. With single axle trailers it doesn't matter so much.

wotan2525
10-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Understood. I did a lot of looking/reading before I did it. WakeWorld has tons of information and even OEMs are putting radial passenger tires on their trailers now just because 17" or 18" trailer tires are almost unheard of.

csuggs
10-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Understood. I did a lot of looking/reading before I did it. WakeWorld has tons of information and even OEMs are putting radial passenger tires on their trailers now just because 17" or 18" trailer tires are almost unheard of.

Agreed. When they started using larger diameter wheels the low profile tires that usually go along with them have inherently stronger side walls. I'm still running 14's.

wotan2525
10-02-2012, 10:35 AM
The one thing that I didn't expect? My trailer actually rides and tows better with the shorter sidewalls. I haven't yet curbed any of the wheels.... and almost more impressively, neither has my girlfriend!

Blackntan90
10-03-2012, 07:39 PM
I have the original chrome modular wheels that came on my Sweetwater trailer. 20+years on them and the clear-coat is hazing, makes them look real bad. I thought about painting them like Haugy said, with the center a tan/cream and the rim black to match the boat...now I just have to get free time and motivation! I really do like the Chrysler 300 wheels, Wotan. If you are going for bling on a budget, that is hard to beat!

ckracing
10-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Traded in my 14s - moved up to 15s.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisknosp/8052229688/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisknosp/8052229688/

haugy
10-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Nice, I'm looking at some similar. I just can't free up $400 for something that I really don't need.

csuggs
10-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Nice, I'm looking at some similar. I just can't free up $400 for something that I really don't need.

But Haugy . . . me thinks you really DO NEED them! :p

TitanTn
10-05-2012, 07:38 AM

That's my position too.

csuggs
10-05-2012, 08:54 AM
I understand the money thing . . . I've got three boys, two of which are in college. My situation (need) was a little different though because I had made modifications to my trailer that lowered the boat more between the fenders. After I cut the fenders and made new inner-fender pads, my tires were rubbing (ever so slightly) against the inner fender. So I made more modifications, but they still rubbed in turns so that's when I decided to go with narrower wheels and tires. Went from 6" wide to 5.5" wide wheels and from radial to bias-ply tires with a narrower section width . . . problem solved. It's the first time I've ever been excited about skinnier wheels and tires!

TitanTn
10-05-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm hearing you Clint... I need to lower my boat more between the fenders first! Great idea!

haugy
10-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Clint, I hear ya, and yours do look awesome on your rig. But I'm hoping the big rusty patina fad will spread to trailer wheels. Then I'll be badass. :D

csuggs
10-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Clint, I hear ya, and yours do look awesome on your rig. But I'm hoping the big rusty patina fad will spread to trailer wheels. Then I'll be badass. :D

Yeah! Kinda like rat rod meets boat trailer!:p. BTW - I do want a rat rod . . Rust and all!

Jetlink
10-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Yeah! Kinda like rat rod meets boat trailer!:p. BTW - I do want a rat rod . . Rust and all!Saw a rat rod the other day, it had what appeared to be brushed on in white paint with a finger or this brush, "Real hot rods don't have paint."