PDA

View Full Version : Findings from the PO while Winterizing

jasun
09-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Well I spent most of the weekend working on the boat.

I rebuilt the Carb on Sat and got it installed and fired up today and it ran on the hose well.

While thinking of what all I wanted to do for PM'ing it before winterizing, I decided to look and see how bad the Fuel Filter was as the housing is in rough shape.

I took off the canister and well and behold, there was NO cartridge!!!! The PO said the carb was rebuilt this spring, but I was having all kinds of problems with it. Here is what I found in one of the seats:
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/Johnson-20120929-00094.jpg

it is no wonder the carb needed rebuilt if he ran it all summer with no fuel filter!!!

So I ordered a new Filter and will get it installed on Tuesday.

I went to pull the plugs on the backs of the manifolds to drain the water and noticed a shiney spot on the port side manifold. After further inspection I came to the conclusion that it is epoxy and Im guessing the manifold is cracked... There was alway a drip from the square plug and I just assumed it was not tight enough. I put a wrench to it to try to turn it over and it was on upside down and I ripped off the damn thing.
didnt realize they were plastic...

Some JB marine puddy and some jerry rigging, and I think I have a temporary fix on the plug...

Can the manifolds be welded if it is infact cracked?

The more I get into this the more surprises I am finding! Good thing I got it a decent price.

We will see what tomorrow brings!

jasun
09-30-2012, 08:29 PM
Also I wanted to thank Kip for sharing his method for winterizing!

cadunkle
10-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Manifolds are cast. Can't really weld cast, not easily anyhow. If they're cracked it's 99% they froze and it's possible there could be internal damage which would leak water into your cylinders. Just replace them. Yeah they're pricey, but they don't last forever. Heat + water + sometimes salt. Wear items. Could be a good time to do some headers if you don't mind spending some extra coin. $800-$900 for factory style replacements, which are fairly restrictive... At that Point I'd be tempted to spend the $1500-$2500 for a performance exhaust or jacketed header setup (http://www.cpperformance.com/c-9-exhaust-systems.aspx). Hard to justify the cost unless you gotta spend a small fortune on new exhaust anyway. Just check measurements if you go that route, particularly width and also riser output location so you have room for hose to get to your pipes without too tight of a bend.