PDA

View Full Version : Engine/Gas Treatment

chautauquasun
10-02-2012, 12:52 PM
The summer came to an end very quickly. I am already looking at servicing my boat for the winter. Normally I just treat the gas with dry gas. But I have been reading a lot about the horror stories about what happens to blended gas while in use and over the winter. I am looking at running a product through the engine before I winterize it. What would you guys recommend. I have heard of running a product manufactured by Seafoam. What do you guys use?

jasun
10-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Im old fashioned and just use Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer

chautauquasun
10-02-2012, 01:05 PM
do you run it through the engine or do you just treat the tank?

wotan2525
10-02-2012, 01:16 PM
I always dump a can of sea foam into my tank, run it to warm up the engine to change the oil and suck RV antifreeze into the block.

jasun
10-02-2012, 02:06 PM
I usually fill the tank so I know how much is in there and add the right amount of Sta-bil and then run the engine for 10 min or so and kill it. Gives the treated Gas time to enter the Carb where it will sit all winter.
Then I pull the plugs and spray fogging oil.
Then I winterize it.

jzelt
10-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Just did our's Sat.
Same process as jasun.
Added marine stabile and Marvel Mystery Oil and ran to change the oil. Changed the oil/filter, then ran to suck up antifreeze, pulled plugs and sprayed with fogging oil.

wotan2525
10-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Just did our's Sat.
Same process as jasun.
Added marine stabile and Marvel Mystery Oil and ran to change the oil. Changed the oil/filter, then ran to suck up antifreeze, pulled plugs and sprayed with fogging oil.

Unless you're replacing your plugs, just spray fogging oil down the carb until the engine dies and you'll accomplish the same thing. I suck up 5 gallons of anti-freeze, then fog the engine out while it sucks gallon #6 and call her good.

lively
10-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Sea foam is good , stabil also .. Both are fine .. Remember to pull the plugs from the exhaust manifolds ... The old ones i took off mine were cracked .. And if any standing water /antifreeze are in them i would try my best to dry 'em out a bit

Jetlink
10-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Starting this year...no anti-freeze ever again in the boat!!! Yay!!Come on, I say you do it one last time, you know, for old time's sake.

jasun
10-03-2012, 07:26 AM
I have a PCM 454 and on both sides my block plugs are a square headed plugs. There is also a square headed plug right above the oil filter on the port side of the engine... is this a water drain plug also?

Sorry for the Hijack.

jasun
10-03-2012, 09:12 AM
yeah... apparently "Water Sports" means more then wakeboarding... lol

OUI
10-03-2012, 02:19 PM
If your gas has ethanol make sure you use a product that treats ethanol. Standard Sea Foam and Sta-Bil don't.

chautauquasun
10-04-2012, 08:25 PM
what product do you use to treat/clean up the issues with Ethanol blended gas if Seafoam doesn't help that situation. I am mostly concerned about the Ethanol issue. Allegheny County in PA, puts ethanol in all gas starting in June and keeps it way until september. So I know this is an issue. thanks!!!

chautauquasun
10-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks NAGVDBA! that is what I was looking for. I will be using Seafoam. I havent been on here in a while....how is the Supra Rider? Mine continues to get better with age. Still love the look of these old boats.

OUI
10-06-2012, 11:59 AM
I love SeaFoam. I use it in all my motors. SeaFoam works with ethanol, but I read an article that rated all the products that are available to keep the ethanol from separating during longer storage. CRC, Sta-Bil for ethanol, and Valvtec were rated higher than SeaFoam.

Wylietunes
10-06-2012, 06:10 PM
The summer came to an end very quickly. I am already looking at servicing my boat for the winter. Normally I just treat the gas with dry gas. But I have been reading a lot about the horror stories about what happens to blended gas while in use and over the winter. I am looking at running a product through the engine before I winterize it. What would you guys recommend. I have heard of running a product manufactured by Seafoam. What do you guys use?

Sta-Bil brand fuel treatment has a formula thats effective for use with ethanol fuels. It prevents phase-separation of the storage period, as well as slows the spoiling of the fuel. Its the green formula.

Wylietunes
10-06-2012, 06:16 PM
I add Seafoam at every gas fill-up regardless of spring, summer or fall and use premium gas to help fight breakdown of gaskets due to Ethanol. Use it in all my vehicles too. Great stuff!

Starting this year...no anti-freeze ever again in the boat!!! Yay!!

Unless your engine manufacturer recommends a higher octane fuel, save your money. Octane level and the effects of ethanol have nothing to do with each other. 92 oct with 10% ethanol is the same as 87 oct with 10% ethanol. If your "premium" is all you can get thats ethanol free, then I would recommend to keep using it in your 1983. Newer boat fuel systems are designed with ethanol tolerant parts, but other boats are susceptible.

Wylietunes
10-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Whether the engine is carb'd or EFI, its best to add the stabilizer/fuel treatment to the tank, then run the engine for 5-10 minutes. This gets the treatment into all parts of the fuel system, including the fuel/water filter, injectors/fuel rail or carburetor.. This slows the spoiling of the fuel, which can lead to crystallization over long-term storage.