PDA

View Full Version : And the woes keep a comin'

wiatowski
10-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Wow I haven't been on here in a while. Truck is together, and running fine. I've only been on the water once since the fire. Just been busy and sick now for 3 weeks. Anyways went down to the boat the other day after we had tons of heavy rain to discover that my tarp had ripped and the batteries were dead (due to lack of use).
Opened the dog house and it was full of water almost up to the floor. So I pulled her out and drained the water out. Was wanting some advice on how to proceed from here. Should I drain all the fluids? transmission and tranny? I haven't checked to see if any water got in yet, as I pulled the boat out on Saturday, had to go to work on Sunday, got home yesterday, went to to doctor who's put me on bed rest for a few days. Going to winterize it next week anyways, but was thinking I should take it for a spin on the lake before I do.

Thoughts?

Jetlink
10-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Well, I realize that I am probably preaching to the choir since you are well versed on the mechanical front, warm fluids are easier to change so I like to winterize after I get all the fluids warmed up, tranny included. I would be inclined to change both fluids just to be on the safe side, take it for a spin and then winterize.

wotan2525
10-03-2012, 03:38 PM
I'd be sure I checked for water in the crankcase before I tried to start it. Water that high could have gotten in somewhere. In that case, I'd probably pickle it for the winter and attack it in the spring.

wiatowski
10-03-2012, 08:39 PM
ya that's what I was thinking... the Tranny was under water so for the experts out there anyway for water to get in it?

Gregmacdog
10-03-2012, 10:53 PM
I always think, better safe than sorry.
I would change all fluids and then go run it.
Was the starter under water also?
Good Luck and feel better.

csuggs
10-04-2012, 02:38 PM
ya that's what I was thinking... the Tranny was under water so for the experts out there anyway for water to get in it?

Isn't there a vent on top of the tranny?
At some point in time mine also had water up to the floor because there was a waterline stain on the oil pan and block that was perfectly parallel to the floor. Internally the motor is great, but I did notice that the flywheel had rusted. I don't think you should have any water in the motor as long as the water didn't get above the floor. But the tranny should probably get flushed out before operating. Hope you feel better . . . .

wiatowski
10-04-2012, 04:44 PM
I always think, better safe than sorry.
I would change all fluids and then go run it.
Was the starter under water also?
Good Luck and feel better.

I think so.... not to worried about it though, as there was no battery power, had there been some I wouldn't be in this mess as the the auto bilge pump would have prevented it.
Thanks for the support Clint, I'm hoping to get something done next week providing I get better. Not to mention I'd love to go out for a ride before it gets too cold. Been a lousy last half of the summer, but we'll recover. Here's what my new set up looks like now... trust me You can't miss it. :)1132411325

DAFF
10-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Been thinking of you and wondering where you have been. As for the engine check the oil level. If it is higher than normal then I would suspect water has entered the block. Also do the same for the trans. There is a small rattle on the top of the trans for venting. I would drain and replace everything before putting her to bed. Make sure to take it for a spin too to insure no contaminates have been left in the trans cooling system.

I hope the water didn't get under the floor area... :( Take care and get well soon.

wiatowski
10-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Been thinking of you and wondering where you have been. As for the engine check the oil level. If it is higher than normal then I would suspect water has entered the block. Also do the same for the trans. There is a small rattle on the top of the trans for venting. I would drain and replace everything before putting her to bed. Make sure to take it for a spin too to insure no contaminates have been left in the trans cooling system.

I hope the water didn't get under the floor area... :( Take care and get well soon.

Thanks... have you been working in Windsor.... Boy it changes every week, almost don't recongnize the place. :)

wiatowski
10-14-2012, 08:34 AM
so finally got to take the boat out yesterday. Good news!!! no water in trans, or engine. Engine ran fine but I noticed at the end that it started only running on 7 cylinders, I figure it was probably moisture build up as it stopped at the dock, however if I'd hit the throttle she'd bog down and back fire and suggestions as to why, or could the carb need to be cleaned after sitting for a month and a half in damp conditions? There was like a green slimy mold around the flame arrestor. Was figuring on cleaning the carb and putting new plugs in in the spring. But any thoughts or suggestions would be nice.

DAFF
10-14-2012, 05:14 PM
I bet there is some moisture in the cap. With the heat build up inside the engine the moisture was the culprite to the loss of a cylinder and mis fire. Time to build a inclosure for the old boat, she hates to be left outside....