PDA

View Full Version : FYI on GETTING GEL COAT SHINY-NEW

1988comp
10-05-2005, 11:02 PM
I was getting frustrated because my boat was not that oxidized, but still would not shine like new. I solved this by sanding the whole boat with a block and 2000grit snadpaper, using plenty of warm-soapy water to rinse the sanding block. You can tell if it is smooth enough by how easy the sandpaper glides over the gelcoat. After the sandpaper, use red rubbing compound, then white polishing compound (red and green labeled white plastic tubs at ANY parts store).

Then just polish with a nice car wax of your choice. Now you will be able to wax your boat periodically and it will shine like new. I can answer specific questions if you need.

SkiLew
10-24-2005, 09:25 PM
Did you use a buffer or did you polish by hand?

DKJBama92Mariah
11-14-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by 1988comp

. Now you will be able to wax your boat periodically and it will shine like new.

88Comp,

Its not that you are able to. You MUST wax very often to maintain the shine. I've been down this road before. It looked great, but if you aren't religious about keeping wax on it, it will quickly oxidize again. Especially if you store the boat outdoors. Once it re-oxidizes, you're back to at least buffing with compound if not wet sanding again. I ended up giving up and i jurt got the boat painted and it looks great. You can see my post detailing this in the Pride & Joy section; it is a couple years back though.

Cheers,
DKJ

Salty87
11-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by DKJBama92Mariah

You MUST wax very often to maintain the shine. I've been down this road before. It looked great, but if you aren't religious about keeping wax on it, it will quickly oxidize again. Especially if you store the boat outdoors.

yup, i prefer buffing as it isn't as aggressive. i'm not religious about waxing either.

1988comp
09-04-2006, 10:13 PM
You can't damage gel-coat like you can paint on a car. Feel free to rub the crap out of it with a machine, only worrying about seams, rub rails, etc, similar to avoiding geeting wax on textured black plastic.

Once you sand gel-coat, the oxidation never ends. It will never really be smooth like when it is new unless you rub it with metal-polishing abrasives (like liquid ebony, or even that 3m boat restrorer.

If you want it to look good between "major restorations", do the 2000 sandpapaer thing, then the red and white compound (red and green labeled white plastic container, DuPont)
then use a product from Meguires called "back to black", made for black chrome.

I have a policy of ONLY compounding and NEVER waxing, and my 88 Comp looks pretty slick, still far from new gelcoat.