PDA

View Full Version : Supra Boats Calendar: Forum Based

SupraLaunch21V
10-04-2012, 01:01 AM
Hey everyone. I'm still new to this site but I thought I would offer a suggestion to the group that has worked in other sites and groups rather well. With so many good looking boats on the site, has there been talk of a calendar being made of Supra Owner's boats? We did this on another board wtih Mercury Capri's and Mustangs ( hot rodding is another passion of mine ). Wasn't really a revenue generator as I recall but it was pretty cool to see other boats through out the year. It also created a great photo library as well for others to browse and get ideas from.

Just a thought. . if there is enough interest to make it happen I know it wouldn't be difficult.

JY

Jetlink
10-04-2012, 01:50 AM
Haugy must be appointed editor in chief then...nothing gets by his discriminate eyes.

KG's Supra24
10-04-2012, 01:04 PM
I like pictures.

csuggs
10-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Sure, why not. Let's do it.

crystal waters
10-04-2012, 03:27 PM
awesome idea! go for it!

Jetlink
10-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Sure, why not. Let's do it.Full page spread of your boat and bilge required...:D

SupraLaunch21V
10-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Cool, at least there is some interest. Couple of things, I'll check with the Site Admin / Moderators to see if there are any issues.
Step one would be to set up a library to upload the pictures ( and min / max picture criteria ),
have an easy voting option so we can pick the 12-13 best pics or Voter's Choice,
establish ground rules ( do we want boat only or can there be people in the pictures and under what criteria etc );
establish deadline for voting so we can get calendars out by the new year.
I can handle the rest as far as ordering the calendars and shipping.

I may need some help on the site admininstrative side but we can make it happen. I think it woudl be cool!

JY

SupraLaunch21V
03-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Senior Members and Moderators. I would like to ask for your help.

Given the above thread, I would like to ask what needs to be done in order for the above to be completed. Here is what I think we may need. I welcome your feedback and input for sure
* Build an isolated thread for memebers to upload a recent picture of their boat for consideration for Supra of the Month

* We will need voting buttons so members can vote on the images uploaded and a results summary to show progress and status. Voting will have a duration of one month and at the end of one month, a Supra of the Month will be picked by the members to load into the calendar.

* A delegate will need to manage the entries / voting and link the image to a radio buttong somehow.

* 12 images will be selected in total so we can have calendars printed.

* a library showing all entries would be nice to have. The site doesn't currently have this and it would nice to have an image gallery. This shoudl be a public folder.

* it would be nice for the owner's "Supra of the Month" image to possibly be put on Supra's front page, but not a requirement of course.

* we need to establish ground rules / guidelines for entries ( do we allow any ppl in them ) i.e. no action photos would then be allowed. If ppl can be in teh photo, what policies do we need to adhere to. Obviously, teh images need to be suitable for 'all ages' and appropriate for the site. I think that can be agreed to. Would any other legal / guidelines need to be posted or advised?

What do we need to do in order to faciliate the above? What other items do we need to solve for in addition to that. I would like to help out as much as I can, but understand if this needs to be managed by the senior group. I think it would be a neat idea to have an owner driven calendar done every year showcasing our brand of the Supra boat.

supraaddict
03-07-2013, 01:19 PM
I would be willing to set up a library on an external site and just link to it as well as help with any of the artwork. I could just give an email address to send all the entries to and create a gallery on my website and we could create a poll on the forum for voting. It would be easy we just have to have an entry date cutoff established. Just let me know. I also have permission to use the Supra Logo (in writing from the marketing director of SC) as long as I am not making profit off the artwork.

Thanks,
Brad

SupraLaunch21V
03-07-2013, 04:59 PM
I like that idea, would be fine with me. There was some interested with the members of the forum when I posted this originally Oct of last year. Hopefully this will generate some excitement. I download a ton of Supra pics ( both from this forum and outside ) and its just great to appreciate other boats of the brand.

JY

KG's Supra24
03-07-2013, 05:09 PM
I'd submit pics ... I'm always game for looking at boat pics.

haugy
03-07-2013, 05:49 PM
I think a neat idea would be to also do one of those collage calenders. The ones with one primary image, and then a few smaller ones for that month.

With so many great boats, and only 12 months, I don't think it would be fair to just pick 12. Maybe on our voting we could have the winner, and then 1st and 2nd runner up are the smaller pics.

This would allow more pictures per month, and more boats from the group get to be shown. That increases the likelihood that a picture of your boat gets in at some point, which gets everyone involved.

36 pictures of Supras for the year just seems more appealing than just 12. Just my opinion.

supraaddict
03-07-2013, 05:53 PM
I agree Haugy, That is what I was thinking too. Something that maybe everyone gets in, just group the boats together by year or model maybe?

TitanTn
03-07-2013, 09:07 PM
I built a few calendars for a Nissan Titan forum I used to visit often. We did one photo for each month for several reasons. 1) it's hard for everyone to take a good enough photo for high res printing, and 2) the visual appeal of the larger image really makes the calendar. I then took the smaller res, soft focus images and did collages on the inside cover, back cover, inside back cover, and depending on how the pagination came out, there was even another page of collages. It allowed 12 great images (plus the cover), but we got over 40 different trucks in the whole calendar.

Just another consideration.

SupraLaunch21V
03-07-2013, 10:15 PM
+1 on the idea of the annual poster. That's just a killer idea.

haugy
03-08-2013, 03:51 PM
it's hard for everyone to take a good enough photo for high res printing

Then you won't get many votes to even be in the calendar. :D

People need to understand, if they don't have a high-res version, it doesn't need to be submitted.

SupraLaunch21V
03-08-2013, 05:41 PM
I think we will have enough quality photos for print.

I mean the person using their daughter's flip phone ( sorry if you have a daughter, Mom or wife . .or a flip phone ) can't expect to have a pic of their boat as an image printworthy on a calendar larger than 8x10. The ones that will take the time to ensure that they have a great pic, will also ensure that they have a clean boat, suitable background, etc and those are the pics that we would expect to see when voting.

Even so it couldn't hurt to create a great library on our site if the calendar doesn't work out. And if we can at least get 6 good photos, we can create a collage poster. Either way its a win for those that elect and want to participate I think.

Just my two cents anyway.

TitanTn
03-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Then you won't get many votes to even be in the calendar. :D

People need to understand, if they don't have a high-res version, it doesn't need to be submitted.

It's clear if you take a 600k photo on a flip phone that it likely won't get chosen. But a photo can look great on screen that doesn't stand a chance of printing well. So voting from screen previews will not always result in picking the best shot for printing results. And many times people don't understand what high res is, or focus, or composition. It's just something you have to deal with when doing something like this.

DAFF
03-09-2013, 01:28 PM
I think the correct way of entery is a personal photo shoot with your boat and scenery of choice. Everyone should know someone with a photography interest or does it for a hobby. I love the idea and will be hoping to get my boat into the local blue lagoon for a shoot. Might be impossible to do, unless the water levels increase dramatically over the next few weeks. I have a feeling there might be some epic pics in our near future.

2500HD
03-09-2013, 02:26 PM
What would the timeline be for entry? My lake isn't even open untill may and I haven't even started my wet sanding project.

2500HD
03-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Nevermind, I just read the rules.:)

supraaddict
03-10-2013, 02:13 AM
For anyone wanting a quick link to the official calendar thread it can be found here:
https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?14453-Official-quot-Enter-Your-Supra-into-a-Forum-Calendar-quot-Thread-Rules-and-Instructions

I think with the type of group we have all pics will be great, I will do everything possible to assist everyone wanting to submit a photo to ensure that we get the best quality pics for the calendar.

If anyone needs help with sending large files, just let me know.

Thanks and lets have fun with it, I am excited to get my hands on one even if it isn't until next year!

SupraLaunch21V
03-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the help SupraAddict. . . I am VERY excited to see some interesting pics this year. When its warm enough to float in the water and take some I'll be submitting mine. Some great pictures up there already. . . glad to see we're having fun with it.

supraaddict
03-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Me too! Liking the entries so far and understand that everyone wants to wait and get a good shot purposely set up for the calendar.