PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Driver's Seat

csuggs
10-04-2012, 03:50 PM
I am looking for a replacement driver's seat for my 86 Sunsport. NOT an OEM replacement, but something that is slightly bigger that will still fit in the space and that maybe has a built-in bolster. I would like to find one that I can have re-upholstered to match my interior using the extra material I brought home from Viper. I talked to Jim Jackson and he said that he had a seat in mind, but that it was difficult to get. Anyone have any ideas or know of a seat I might like?

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/DSC02206a.jpg

Jetlink
10-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Hey Clint, my boat does not have the OEM seat as well. A previous owner replaced it some point down the line with what I think is a Sea Ray seat. Super comfortable, tight fit but it still fits though mine does not have a flip up bolster part. Think I have a few pictures of it...lemme check.

Here's the best I got for now, I might head up to take the boat out this weekend but for sure it will be coming out next weekend and I will see if I can snap some pics if you're still curious and looking.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i392/Ben_Wesoloski/Watervale%202012/IMG_1995.jpg

csuggs
10-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Ben, that looks like a nice seat, it looks bigger than mine so I don't know if it will fit. I need to measure how much room I have. The bolster part I'm not really worried about - I probably wouldn't use it, but my wife would. She uses the throw cushion now.

haugy
10-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Are you wanting to be higher overall? Or are you just too big for it?

I put a lifting pedestal on mine to help get it higher.

mapleleaf
10-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Ben's seat would prolly fit Clint, its spacious and comfy, I like to remind him frequently it may have come from a Sea Ray!!!

Jetlink
10-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Ben's seat would prolly fit Clint, its spacious and comfy, I like to remind him frequently it may have come from a Sea Ray!!!
Haha, I'm almost certain it did. Clint, it will fit no problem and on top of it, the seat sits/rides higher. I occasionally drive another member's comp with the original seat. Big difference between his seat height and mine. You shouldn't have an issue clearing the dog house, wife probably won't need to sit on a cushion, phone book or whatever is available. As a side note, my wife doesn't use a cushion when she's driving either and she is a bit shorter than I am.

csuggs
10-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Sounds good. So I wonder where I get one? Is there a model number or something on yours?

Jetlink
10-05-2012, 12:22 PM
Sounds good. So I wonder where I get one? Is there a model number or something on yours?Not a clue about the model number or anything. I can try and look for one when I winterize next weekend as that is the next time I will be up there.

suprasam
10-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Csuggs,
I don't have the OEM seat either....but I have no idea what boat it came out of. Check this link out, I also have a pontoon and replaced all my seats in it from them. They are great to work with and good pricing. I think you might find a helm seat you will like.
http://veada.com/helm-seats.html

ckracing
10-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Clint -
Here's the one I went with. Comfortable - good value - no wood - fits ok next to doghouse depending on your post placement.
http://www.garelick.com/Contour-Captains-Chair#

-Chris

csuggs
10-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Thanks guys. On the Veada site I noticed you can order special color combinations. I wonder if I sent them my material if they would put it together?

Jetlink
10-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Clint, slight change of plans on my end, I'm winterizing tomorrow and closing up shop. I'll see if I can get some measurements and pics for you tomorrow.

haugy
10-05-2012, 08:58 PM
I'm not pleased with this discussion. All I keep hearing is "mine's not oem", "i don't want stock", "mine is a Sea-ray's".

Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jetlink
10-06-2012, 01:57 AM
I'm not pleased with this discussion. All I keep hearing is "mine's not oem", "i don't want stock", "mine is a Sea-ray's".

Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haugy, I like you and all but you must have missed the part where I stated that mine came to me this way. It's the hand I was dealt. I thought about taking it back original but not in the cards now.

ckracing
10-06-2012, 10:35 AM
I would've loved to retain the original seat - but the wood was mulch. Couldn't even think about templating it.
If anyone knows where a solid original mid '80s Sunsport captains chair is - PM me.
Thanks -
Chris

csuggs
10-07-2012, 07:17 AM
So you guys are saying I should loose some weight and keep the one I've got.

Jetlink
10-07-2012, 02:50 PM
So you guys are saying I should loose some weight and keep the one I've got.

What I'm saying is with as much blood, sweat and tears many of us have in these classics, why not improve upon them where you see fit. Obviously you have made yours better Clint, SyberMike made his saltare unique and work for him. Heck, if I were to take Haugy's comment about not using OEM supra parts in a rebuild, I should use open cell foam and put the supertrapps back on my boat. At the end of the day, our boats are all unique in their own way and they all work as we want or need them to. And if they don't, I'm sure we can figure out how to make a good design even better.

haugy
10-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Ben you misunderstood my ideology. I'm all for upgrades, new ideas, and custom parts. I agree, they make them unique. But I try to make things custom, while still looking almost stock.

And in reality, I'm just busting your balls about the Sea-Ray seat. I read what you said. But I wouldn't be me if I didn't at least object a little bit.

Jetlink
10-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Haugy, I totally get it and I know it might appear as though I was getting all bent out of shape. Anyways, I am all good. I too am all for maintaining the original form of the boat as best I can however, somethings are out of my control and came from a previous owner like that...at least that is the case for me most of the time.

suprasam
10-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Csuggs, I don't think they will match but they will send you sample of colors you're thinking about. They sent me about six samples out when I was looking at their seats.

csuggs
10-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Sorry guys if any of my remarks caused any strife. I don't know what I'm going to do. The seat company did contact me and tell me that they could send samples to me, or I could send them a 4" square swatch of my material to them for testing. They would have to approve the material so that they knew their patterns would work with it ( because of stretching I suppose). After approved, they would let me know how much material to send to make the seat of my choice.