PDA

View Full Version : Winter and Surgery

jwwalk
10-08-2012, 10:21 AM
So with winter coming and the boat getting pulled out of the water this week, I have elected to have shoulder surgery this winter to fix issues from multiple dislocations (boarding and skiing don't help it). Question for everyone is: Has anyone had shoulder surgery like this? How long was the recovery? I am hoping to get back out on the water next spring. Doc says 6-9months of no sports, surgery is next week which means 6 months puts me around May, 9 is July.

Any advice/experiences?

Jetlink
10-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Do as the surgeon says, physical therapy and home exercises are a must as is taking it easy. Do not push yourself unless directed to by the therapist or doctor and you should be good for at least some of next season.

haugy
10-08-2012, 10:49 AM
I've been told 3 months on mine, all the way to a year. Everyone is different, and so are the doctor's outlooks.

What kind of surgery are you having? Tendon repair? Cuff repair? Joint, etc?

I've learned that if you are confident in the doc enough to let him cut on you, you'd better take his advice as well. You trust him to cut ya, don't not trust his advice on recovery because you are in a hurry.

Good luck man. I've been postponing mine for years.

jwwalk
10-08-2012, 11:18 AM
haugy,
its to repair the labrum. I guess thats all flattened out so they build it back up. Should tighten up all the tendons too.

Jetlink
10-08-2012, 01:49 PM
I recently, February of this year, had surgery on my arm to repair a full muscle tear and some nerve damage. I was told 3-6 months for a full recovery however, I was able to start taking it easy and water ski and wake board a little starting in June. No marathon sessions but at least I was able to get a few runs in. My arm still bothers me and the doctor has bumped back my expected full recovery date to almost a year now. Anyways, that is my story and how I have handled surgery and the season. I would like to repeat what I said before and what Haugy said, don't be in a rush to push your body. Give it a chance to heal and you will be better off than pushing it and risk injuring yourself and having to start the process over again.

haugy
10-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Hey, we're labrum buddies!!! *high five* but gently so my arm doesn't pop out. :D

I'm in the same boat. That and my anterior tendons suck. I can't throw a baseball without my shoulder popping out. Good luck man, I've been postponing that crap for a long time. Did it get so bad that it was constant pain?

kvand347
10-08-2012, 07:15 PM
FWIW--I had a player of mine that underwent rotator cuff surgery at the age of 15. It took her ~9 months to recover. Not sure on your age, but I'm thinking your recovery time may be longer due to age (no offense). At 6 months she felt good, but the last 3 was the toughest because the PT's were working on getting back her range of motion. All she wanted to do those last 3 months was play sports and it was a constant battle between her and her mom to take it easy. In the end she did, and she came back stronger than ever (1st team all-conference for 4 years). My humble advice echos what others have said...listen to your doctors even if you feel like you could handle a session. Your physical therapist will become your greatest ally!

jwwalk
10-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Hey, we're labrum buddies!!! *high five* but gently so my arm doesn't pop out. :D

I'm in the same boat. That and my anterior tendons suck. I can't throw a baseball without my shoulder popping out. Good luck man, I've been postponing that crap for a long time. Did it get so bad that it was constant pain?

It wasn't the pain as much as the movement/multiple dislocations. It was getting to be a PITA and I decided I had enough. Work is slow so figured I would get it done.

Not sure on your age, but I'm thinking your recovery time may be longer due to age (no offense).

I'm 25

Jeff

kvand347
10-09-2012, 12:45 PM
At 25 you should heal in about 3 weeks then! :wink: Just kidding! Best of luck and I hope you heal fast!

HtxConbrio
10-09-2012, 10:36 PM
I went through surgery to repair a torn labrum and separated clavicle 2 years ago. Get ready for a pretty painful recovery. The first week after surgery is the worse but it gets better. I do a lot of climbing for work and was back to full work duty 3-1/2 months after surgery. You might want to invest in a comfortable recliner I had trouble sleeping flat on a bed and the recliner was the only way I could sleep. PT sucks but if your therapists are as easy on the eyes as mine were it makes up for the pain they will put you through. They will probably restrict you to lifting no more than 1 pound for about a month after surgery. The sooner you can get your strength and range of motion back the sooner they will release you. Good luck on the surgery and recovery. After it's all said and done you will feel brand new again.