PDA

View Full Version : My Version of Winterizing

CornRickey
10-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Rubbermade tote under the wakeplate. Tsunami pump in tote hooked up to fake lake. Run boat on water till thermostat opens (running Sta-Bil in fuel). Shut down, dump out the water and fill with 6 gallons of Rv antifreeze and left it aside. Run antifreeze till pink from exhaust then put the tote back under the plate and run for a couple minutes during this time running the shower and idling the engine. All and all it aimed great with about 1/2 gallon left over.

wotan2525
10-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Love the idea to recirculate the RV antifreeze! I suck up 6 gallons of RV antifreeze and call it good -- but I don't have a heater or shower or ballast to worry about.

CornRickey
10-09-2012, 03:27 PM
I switched the fakelake to my ballist inlet and ran antifreeze through the fill hoses .

docdrs
10-10-2012, 01:09 AM
Where did the 5.5 gallons of the pink stuff go? Out thru the shower? What is digging and deft it aside? From what I understand is you diluted the antifreeze by at least 50% as you mixed it with the water left in the engine,vdrive, exhaust manifolds and muffler......yes the muffler holds up to 1 gallon of water. So if you used -50 then you have -25 degreee protection at best in simplistic terms. Why not just pull the 2 block plugs and your boat drain plug and let that water out of the engine and boat. Then reinstall and the pink stuff will get sucked right into the engine off the get go? All you did was winterize your exhaust manifolds (maybe) and muffler......the block has very little protection. A 160 degree thermostat just begins to open at 160 and is probably fully open at 170 (this is why temps will rise after a reduction to idle after a hot high rpm run). .02.

CornRickey
10-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Although I'm sure it was diluted a little I'm pretty confident in the protection. I ran the boat till after the thermostat opened then ran the antifreeze through it till the discharge was about the same color as the original as it was spilling onto the ground then pushed the tub under the discharge and circulated it for a while. I live in PNW so it doesn't get very cold for any length of time.
Deft- left, digging-idling. Stupid phone......

Jetlink
10-11-2012, 12:57 AM
Deft- left, digging-idling. Stupid phone......Chubby thumb syndrome strikes again... I hate it when that happens.:D

wotan2525
10-11-2012, 11:38 AM
I've never drained my block. I've always just filled with RV antifreeze. It starts coming out the back after 2-3 gallons. After 6 I feel like it has pretty well flushed everything. I've been doing this for 10 years without a problem and I'm in WI where it does get really EFFIN COLD!

docdrs
10-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Deft- left, digging-idling. Stupid phone......

I always love a good laugh :)

CornRickey
10-15-2012, 12:10 AM
I figured at 3 bucks a gallon what's a extra gallon or two. This is the first time winterizing a boat with a heater and shower for me so I figured more is better than not enough. I probably lost a gallon from the fakelake leaking before I got it fired up.