PDA

View Full Version : Just bought 1988 Suprah Mariah 454 with 237 hours

RIDDLER
10-11-2012, 01:04 AM
I finally took the leap and bought a open bow ski boat. A few friends had Supras (late 80's and early 90's) and swear by them. We wanted something that could seat 6 to 7 and we could leave in the water during the summer without worrying about it. New boats that cost 60k were out. CLosed bows were out to space issues and alot of kids who want to ride or ski. I looked for about 6 months until I finally mentioned my boat search to a buddy from work. His family was selling their ski boat that in his words they used ten hours per year. I though it was BS until I saw the boat and the records. A 1988 Supra Mariah with 236 hours. He called it a rare boat because it had a 454 and a Supra tower ( I am not sure if he is correct on it being rare). His family had owned it since day one and it had always been stored inside their shop at the lake house. I did a compression test, a water test for a hour to check the systems and bought it for middle book value. It had the original stickers when I bought it. They are now gone but the sun fading is there. The compression test revealed factory new compression for the 454. The boat showed wear inside but overall a nice clean Suprah. Trailer is super clean and has four brand new tires. Decent stereo. All gauges and systems work.

However, I knew it would require some repairs over the winter. Here is what it needs:

1) Rear ski locker cracked, front cooler cracked, drivers floor plastic also cracked. (Unavailable from what I have read on this forum?)
2) the vinyl is in pretty decent shape 6 out of 10 which is fine because we are going to use the boat.
3) wake is pretty flat with two guys in it. I am thinking about redoing the rear seating area to add some weight. I'd love to see some ideas. Has anyone modified the rear seat to a bench like the SN 2001? Am I crazy to suggest?
4) I know I have a spot in the floor that is soggy 1 foot by 1 foot. My carpet is a bit worn also. I was thinking about removing the much complained about foam over the winter, checking the stringers (replacing if needed) and redoing the floor/carpet in grey. Carpet is worn blue now. Suggestions?
5) Are the factory rub rails still available?
6) Will the light fading on the side come off with rubbing compound or do I need to wetsand the boat? Drivers side has more fading that passenger side.

Thanks in advance for this awesome forum and the ideas I have borrowed from all of you.

Aaron

Spokane, WA11338

OUI
10-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Good luck with the new boat.

1) To check the stringers, torque on the motor mount lag bolts, if they turn then you have a problem. Just use a socket wrench and don't over torque.

2) Rub rails are available through a dealer or aftermarket.

3) There are some pretty effective de-oxidizers out there, try that first. Meguiar's and Buff Magic are the best.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxQZ3U-7OXM&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWYiZwc6B2k

4) When cleaning your vinyl use Fantastic and Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. The combination of the two will make your interior like new.

Have fun with your new toy.

haugy
10-11-2012, 10:19 AM
1) Rear ski locker cracked, front cooler cracked, drivers floor plastic also cracked. (Unavailable from what I have read on this forum?)
2) the vinyl is in pretty decent shape 6 out of 10 which is fine because we are going to use the boat.
3) wake is pretty flat with two guys in it. I am thinking about redoing the rear seating area to add some weight. I'd love to see some ideas. Has anyone modified the rear seat to a bench like the SN 2001? Am I crazy to suggest?
4) I know I have a spot in the floor that is soggy 1 foot by 1 foot. My carpet is a bit worn also. I was thinking about removing the much complained about foam over the winter, checking the stringers (replacing if needed) and redoing the floor/carpet in grey. Carpet is worn blue now. Suggestions?
5) Are the factory rub rails still available?
6) Will the light fading on the side come off with rubbing compound or do I need to wetsand the boat? Drivers side has more fading that passenger side.

Aaron

Spokane, WA11338

Aaron, welcome to the forum, and the Supra family. About your Mariah, good find, I used to have one as well. The 454 in the Mariah is very rare. They are out there, but about half as many compared to the 351w. I bet that thing will tow like a hoss! The tower is aftermarket, it did not come with that.

In regards to your needs:
1) Ski locker and drivers floor plastic can be replaced. I got mine directly from Skier's Choice through one of their more reputable dealerships. Call Skier's choice for the part numbers and it will make it much easier. As for the cooler, well it's part of the mold so yeah, if it's cracked, just put some 5200 sealant in there and smooth it out. That will at least hold it.
3)Some have re-done on their deeper freeboard boats, but the Mariah sits very shallow so you don't have a lot of room. I used to run a 400lbs bag on each side of the engine, and a 500 in the bow. That made for a good wake out of it, but my motor wasn't meaty enough (351w). Your's should be fine.
4)If you get to the point of removing the foam, that means the boat is in two major pieces and apart. If you get that far, REDO THE STRINGERS!!! Even if they look fine, you are 65% there if you are removing foam, you'd be insane to get that far and not do them while they are exposed and accessible. For your boat, gray carpet would look fine.
5) Yes the rub rails are available, go to Skier's choice just like for the foot rest.
6) Start with rubbing compound first. Work a small area, but don't just compound it. Compound, wax, then polish. It may take the three step process to get the full effect. If that doesn't work in your test area, wetsand.

Keep posting, and keep adding pics, we are here to help. We all band together to keep these classics running and there are a few guys here that have done full resto's, and some original owners as well. Someone here always has the answer.

RIDDLER
10-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Wow thanks for the awesome reply. I did find one loose motor mount bolt. Drivers side stringer near soft spot on floor. I tapped on it with a hammer and it seems hollow

I found a local boat shop with great reputation that will redo all the stringers, the glass area around the cooler and the plywood floor with new grey carpet for $3000. I have to pull the 454 or pay a local guy $250 to pull it. I would have around $10,000 into the boat at that point. With 237 hours on it it seems to make sense but please tell me if I losing my mind to have $10,000 into a 1988 boat? I couldn't find a similar condition boat with less than 800 hours for under $10000 and that was with original floors and stringers. I found several boats with 800 hours to 1200 hours that were open bow layout and well used. Not sure as I sold a Duckworth to start wakeboarding...:)

I also appreciate the comments on trying to get a better wake. Sounds like I should keep the OEM layout as it is and buy some ballast tanks. Thanks

That 454 is a real blast to pull boarders with. I need to be careful not to hit the throttle too hard or it jerks big guys forward too fast. I don't want to hurt anyone....

devovino
10-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Yeah she is a nice looking boat, I did a similar purchase 2 winters ago on an 87 Saltare, I paid about 3000. The interior was shot and that was the first area I tackled, i found an out of work upholsterer and got a smoking deal, bought the material on line (vinyl/foam), tore all the seating out and rebuilt the rotted seat bases. The boat had 380 hours which I thought was low, but in the mid 200's your in good shape. As expected there was some stringer rot, floor soft spots but I have run it for two seasons no probs, however this winter I plan on putting it on the garage and doing some modifications (new floor/stringers, and some under floor ballast that will be switched next to the driver seat) The gel coat is super faded, and I dont like the color so if I can re-paint it I will do so this winter, also a tower would be nice, kind of a big wishlist, we will see how much time i have, time and money! So from what I can see you made a great buy, lots of luck to you this winter, and keep us all appraised of the situation, we love to see the rebuilds take place.

RIDDLER
10-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I decided to go ahead and start a light restoration. I am ordering the parts from Skiers choice and wet sanding and buffing the hull to remove the oxidation. Next step is new floors, stringers, and carpet. My goal is to have the boat last another 10-15 years.

any suggestions on a weather proof storage cover for when it's parked at the dock?

Can anyone recommend the best way to change the oil as the drain plug is out of reach? There are several different products on the internet and the basic hand pump doesn't work.

Thanks

Aaron

crystal waters
10-15-2012, 03:06 PM
would stay away from Mr. Clean Magic Erasers as it is too abrasive for your vinyl and will harm the top surface of your vinyl like a fine sandpaper would over time! Learned this from experience!

Blackntan90
10-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Do yourself a favor and order the oildrain hose.It attaches to the oilpan and allows you to drain the crankcase through the front bildge drain, into a container you have placed under the trailer that is! It may be a bit hard to get it installed on the 454, as there is not much rooom to work down there. My Mariah came with this option and it makes oil changes a snap!Look around the front of your motor for a hose that is looped over and has a fitting on the end- maybe it is already installed on your boat? Mine was laying across the waterpump, I stumbled on it by accident!

wotan2525
10-23-2012, 10:28 AM
It may be a bit hard to get it installed on the 454

Can't be done. At least not without jacking up/pulling the engine.

You'll have to suck that oil out of the dipstick tube. One of these works --> http://www.tractorsupply.com/home-improvement/water-pumps/water-pump-accessories-parts/water-source-drill-pump-1028071?gclid=CJCa_pKsl7MCFYw-Mgod-hEA3A

But one of these works better --> http://www.autosportcatalog.com/garage-gear/65-liter-hand-pump-oil-extractor.cfm

Either way, be sure to warm the oil up before you suck it.