PDA

View Full Version : 1987 Supra TS6M comp, recent purchase, need help!

RHaslettjr
10-12-2012, 08:51 PM
hey guys, hoping someone here can help me out, monday i purchase an old 87 TS6M comp boat with the 351. not a bad old boat, needs some TLC but i picked it up for a good price. this is my first inboard boat and now that i got it running and on the water last night i have some issues and questions. First and foremost being where can i find replacement new and or used parts for this thing. first issue i have is the seat does not have the original drivers seat, i can buld one with little to know problem but id like to atleast have a template of an original one to go off of. second major problem i have is when taking it out for its first test i made the mistake of taking the sellers word on the fact that the boat had plenty of gas, quage doesnt work he said, well it didn't have plenty! i power probed the wiring and everything seems fine, quage works when gorunded so i need a new sending unit!. Like i said i really like the ol girl and would love to bring her back to life, motor seems to run great, good compression and little to know leaks, other than running out of gas it ran and handled great. please point me in the right direction to finding some parts, if anyone has any advice to a first time inboard owner that would be helpfull as well!

Jetlink
10-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Haugy should be able to point you in the right direction for the seat issue, he's a member here and die hard classic Supra dude. Parts can usually be sourced from www.skidim.com Good luck and welcome to the club!

RHaslettjr
10-12-2012, 09:05 PM
thanks so much Jetlink, ill wait and see if Haugy can help on that, and ill check out that site you mention!

haugy
11-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Welcome to the forums!! Glad to see another Comp saved. Jetlink's link to Skidim is your best bet for the mechanical parts and such. 99 times out of 100 they will have exactly what you need. Call them up, tell them your boat, and they will tell you everything you need.

A tip: The prices are high, higher than any other parts, because they are MARINE GRADE. They are designed for your boat's applications. A starter for a boat is more than a starter for a car because it needs to be shielded and designed to create ZERO spark. Your engine bay can easily hold gas fumes, and a spark would be bad. So make sure you keep that in mind when buying parts.

As for your seat I can get you detailed pictures, as well as measurements, but your best bet is to find a Supra being parted out and get one from there. If you're really good at wood work, then you can tackle it. I however suck at wood work and wouldn't try it. :D Those seats are not the easiest to reconstruct without having a bare naked one as a guideline. Which is why I'm so adamant about not changing from stock to aftermarket. It's very hard to go back if you no longer have the seat.

Keep coming in here with questions if you have them. We'll do our best to help.

And we would love to see pictures of your Supra when you get some.