PDA

View Full Version : Off Season UP Grades - What's everyone have planned?

gogger
10-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Well my new cover is ready. So I go pick it up on Monday. Over the winter I plan on take the Pirata to Donny to get new stringers. There are some other things I would like to do, but it is going to depend on how the overtime at work goes. Usually there is unlimited OT, but somethings have changed and it has been less plentiful. So I might not be able to do everthing I would like to do.

The dream list would be to get the trailer blasted, repainted and new bunks. A tower on the boat would be nice. Ballast bags. Upgrade the stereo. Rubbed out and buffed. New graphics. New foam on the swim platform and bow of the boat. Refinish the teak. Drivers Seat needs some repair. New rearview mirror. GoPro Camera.

Yea I am going to need to work a lot of overtime this winter....

Jetlink
10-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Nothing really boat related this winter, boat goes into storage mid November and I won't be seeing it again until April, thus no work gets accomplished over the winter for me. Bunks aren't that bad to do, I did mine in about 4 hours one afternoon. Good luck with the overtime, they changed our schedules around a ton at work and virtually eliminated any overtime possibilities...I was averaging 30-40 hours OT a month which was an additional $1,200-1,600... Hope this is only a temporary change though as it sure would be nice to have extra toy money around.

gogger
10-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Over the winter I was working forty hours of OT a week. Now it looks like I will be lucky to get 16 a week. I will just keep my fingers crossed and hope that it makes a come back. I just use the extra money to pay for my toys. Too many at work have learned to depend on the extra money. They are the ones that are panicking now.

86 century
10-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Don't feal bad guys the feds changed the laws again if I work 6 days straight I haft to take 48 off.
So it makes it nearly impossible for me to work any extra.

Would like to add more ballast with better pumps.

TitanTn
10-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Mine is headed to Donny in a couple of weeks to get wet-sanded and buffed. At some point this winter I'll be re-habing the trailer, but I've been saying that for a while now and can't ever find the time. Maybe it'll happen this time.

tg0824SSVGG
10-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Only upgrade for me in the near future is a new SeaDek swim platform pad.

inair
10-14-2012, 03:07 PM
I replaced my through hull exhaust outlets this year because they were leaking.....They still leak. I think the problem is that the flanges are plastic and if not lined up right will wrinkle when the hose clamps are tightened (thats what I found when I took the old ones off). So Im thinking to fab them out of stainless? And then get rid of the wood dough nut backing and put stainless backing with threaded bolts to attach. Anyone tried this?

Then of course, so many on here have made so much of their new props and how much better they are, I don't think I'll be able to resist :)

DAFF
10-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Polish and buy a industrial sewing machine..... :) time to fix the small imperfections in the interior.

Blackntan90
10-14-2012, 07:12 PM
I would like to do some trailer work as well. Been looking at some way of stopping the 'rust from the inside out' thing that is happening to mine. There are a couple of products on the market that will probably work equally well if I can figure out how to apply them inside the boxed frame...Other than that its just the usual polish and cleaning, etc.

wspeedin
10-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Finish my restoration! Please! Oh please, let me finish my boat this year!!!
This weekend we were able to finally get the top cap back on the boat!!!! Now if I can jsut find the time to get the wiring situated and all the other lines and hoses. Then it will be installing all the interior and other crap! *crosses fingers*

HtxConbrio
10-18-2012, 08:21 AM
My winter projects include new stringers, floor, rebuild 351, and add tower. It's goin to be a busy winter but hopefully we can get her back together by summer which is sometime in April down here.

suprasam
10-18-2012, 09:01 AM
My winter projects are going to be intalling a 1) new cd player with hopefully a hard wired control unit on/near transom 2) change Super Trapps to flapper(not happy about this) 3) Bow seats re-covered (stained), also have passenger seat re-sewen(stitching spreading) 4) last but not least tighten the play up on my steering at rudder.....all are fairly minor and shouldn't take that long, but more than likely I will take all winter to do them.

haugy
10-18-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm debating. Either it will be a simple complete polish job top-to-bottom.

Or I am going to sell my soul to the devil. All depends on whether or not my wife gets her wish sooner or later.

TitanTn
10-18-2012, 10:36 AM
I'm debating. Either it will be a simple complete polish job top-to-bottom.

Or I am going to sell my soul to the devil. All depends on whether or not my wife gets her wish sooner or later.

That's confusing. Your wife wants you to sell your soul to the devil?

suprasam
10-18-2012, 11:44 AM
"You decided not to sell it or it didn't sell?"

I had close to 5 offers.....I test drive a used a 22SSV 2008 I think, and I just couldn't pull the trigger on paying almost 39grand for a boat to be honest. So I pulled the ad. One guy was pissed, but told him if he offered me 10K he could have it with the cover and new trailer tires. I think that made him more mad, but oh well. I decided to keep her for a while longer, just going to make some minor changes and keep my paid off boat running strong!

inair
10-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Hey Suprasam, I'd be interested in knowing who you get to do your seats. A few years ago I had a guy down near me do some things to my seats and it just wasn't what I was looking for. So Im looking for someone new. Do you already have some one in mind?

suprasam
10-18-2012, 03:32 PM
I am actually going to try this place first for a quote. http://www.copycatcovers.com/index.html
I friend of mine used this company and had great results. But there is a local guy(for me) in Woodstock I will look for his number, and he does listings on CL all the time. He goes by Original Als, he is on Allatoona and also heard great things about him and great pricing. So I will be narrowing down who I am going to use, but more than likely it will be Al, because he is local. I always like to keep my business local if I can help it. I hope this helps, but at this point I do not know anyone first hand. If NGAVDBA reads this again, I believe he used someone fairly close. Maybe he can better help. Let me know if you find someone with decent pricing also, and I will do the same. BTW, what lake are you on or go to most?

ramzak
10-18-2012, 07:31 PM
All Aluminum McClain Trailer

Complete new Stereo

Rip off cheesy "brick" graphics (still undecided)

tg0824SSVGG
10-18-2012, 07:54 PM
I like the bricks graphics -- perhaps it's just because they are so different. Seems the bricks are like the trailer buddies - either you like em or you HATE em ... no in between

TitanTn
10-18-2012, 08:20 PM
No bricks. The more naked it is, the better it is. Just my opinion.

Kma4444
10-19-2012, 08:16 AM
I'm going to do something different with the exhaust, probably make some stainless passthroughs with turndowns,,,,, well probably turn down and outs actually. That way I can aim the exhaust at the water to knock down a little of the noise and stop the little drip from the plastic flanges on it now. Add a switch for the light on the tower, it comes on when you turn on the interior lights so you can't have just a little mood lighting, it's SHOWTIME when you flip the switch. SO that will be a nice quick addition. Make some plates to cover the underseat area where my new mega bag is so when I fill the bag it doesn't push the seats up. I could have just spec'd a smaller bag but I wanted the option of packing as much water in there as I could. The plates will likely be carbon fiber an pretty cool looking in addition to useful.

That's probably enough as I am still trying to finish my 66 Dodge A100 that I have been fooling with for years and years. Good news is, maybe today I will finish with the rough bodywork and have every panel 90% or so..... I hate bodywork.

tg0824SSVGG
10-19-2012, 08:27 AM
I also don't like that the tower LEDs are hooked to the cabin lites. But I put the led lights in the cupholders and under the helm on their own switch and use that for mood liting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suprasam
10-19-2012, 09:09 AM
I wish I knew how to put LED/lights in my boat. I have seen people here do it.....under the transom and other places inside the boat. I have ZERO electrical experience and I know I would screw something up or it just not work at all after spending 200.00 in lights. Maybe I will add that to my list of winter projects, and I guess have to pay someone to do it, cause I have been wanting them.

inair
10-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Thanks Suprasam and Ngavdba for the info. I live in the Peachtree City area and boat mostly on Allatoona. Woodstock is a hike but not Maryville! I'll start calling the first of the week and see what I can. Thanks again for the info.

Kma4444
10-19-2012, 10:13 AM
I also don't like that the tower LEDs are hooked to the cabin lites. But I put the led lights in the cupholders and under the helm on their own switch and use that for mood liting

Yeah, I figured I'd just put a push button switch up on the tower by the light. Seemed to make sense to me. I'll have to think about doing the separate switch thing.

I'd like to add a heater as well, but not sure if I will get to that,,, wife says I'm the king of projects so I'm trying to regulate myself some.

haugy
10-19-2012, 10:27 AM
I wish I knew how to put LED/lights in my boat. I have seen people here do it.....under the transom and other places inside the boat. I have ZERO electrical experience and I know I would screw something up or it just not work at all after spending 200.00 in lights. Maybe I will add that to my list of winter projects, and I guess have to pay someone to do it, cause I have been wanting them.

It's really not hard Shane. I'm no electrical genius either and I've wired up all my LED's in my last two boats, and even tied them into the current switches on my console.

Start a thread on what you are wanting in terms of lights, and we'll all help you through it. Trust me, it's not that terrible.

suprasam
10-19-2012, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=ngavdba;82041]If only you knew somebody that was on the forum that did it to their Rider and lived the next county over. hmmm! lol

Watch out what you ask for(yes I know you didn't ask, but hoping a beer to bribe might help) lol ......you might have a boat in your driveway before you know it and me begging for help! I'm on the lake almost every weekend during spring/summer so anytime you guys wanna meet up let me know!

haugy
10-22-2012, 09:57 AM
I think I'm going to pull the 454 and give her a fresh clean-up. Some fresh paint, etc.

Get both blowers operational and both bilges running. Currently one of each only.

Jetlink
10-22-2012, 02:10 PM
http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx49/ngavdba/file-30_zpsfa82d063.jpg
Playing around, making it look like jet engine exhaust or something.
Not to sound an alarm or anything but, it appears that your gas tank sprung a leak and caught on fire there Dan. And that doesn't look like jet exhaust... Come on over and you can see and perhaps feel what real jet exhaust is like. ;)

SupraLaunch21V
10-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Three things:
* customer carpet mats ( for cockpit area. . I have little kids ); would like to make a custom fit, gray, one piece carpet for the main area with a Supra Logo
* order and install SeaDek platform mold; my black one from the factory is transfering black footsteps on the boat
* order and install red UW LED lights so I can crack a beer and watch the fish nibble at my toes
* okay, four things, wax the crap out of her. LOL

sybrmike
10-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Get back to work on my collapsible floating bimini idea
Repair a cross brace in the rear bench seat base that broke from overfilling one ballast bag
Add another 400# sac under the chaise lounge for goofy wake
Either add another sac to go on top of 800# already under the playpen, or change plumbing so I can stack what's there on one side (think I need more list)
Maybe fabricate a lid for the new glovebox

supraaddict
12-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Just got started on my winter projects, they now include:

Replacing heater core and heater hot tube upgrade to the new style
Ski Pylon modification (Ski pylon now goes up and down to get out of the way)
New exhaust: Upgrading to the new Stainless Steel exhaust from the new Indmar Surf Engine (Adds about 10hp and going to get reprogrammed for more HP after install)
New Power Pulleys
Adding more LEDs (Possibly Transom Lights as well)
Replacing some scratched graphics
Buffing the whole boat
Trailer (White Lens LED) Upgrade

That should keep me busy for a while! :cool:

haugy
12-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Trailer runway lights
Transom lights (if funds allow)
Kicker L7
Tower speakers (if funds allow)

And wet sanding and polishing the whole bottom of the hull. Ugh dread.

chrisk
12-07-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm just sitting back and relaxing while the fiberglass shop fixes the damage from the drunk idiot all the way back on Memorial Day...

Then I'll be installing new depth finder with air and water temp sensors.

a_deleon
12-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Well I have a small list of work to do to help out this poor boat that the last owner abused.

new stringers and floor
new carpet
build new seats
maybe an extra one or two 500# bags and plumb everything in
add a second bilge and maybe second blower
rewire the whole audio system and relocate the batteries
new paint job and if I get lucky a partial wrap or at least the the SUPRA logo in grafitti font down the sides
maybe a fresh coat of paint on the motor

WakeSurfCanada
12-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Well, on that last outing of the year (Labor Day) I had somewhat of a catastrophic failure on my 351W in the SS. Developed a mean knock and way down on compression in said cylinder. At this point the engine is out of the boat and sitting at a friends shop awaiting a teardown.

Amidst this, a friend and myself came upon a deal on a 36ft houseboat we could not turn down. So that will likley take up most of my free time over the winter.
Currently rebuilding the engines for the houseboat 2 x Volvo AQ170!

Pic's to come

TitanTn
12-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Well, on that last outing of the year (Labor Day) I had somewhat of a catastrophic failure on my 351W in the SS. Developed a mean knock and way down on compression in said cylinder. At this point the engine is out of the boat and sitting at a friends shop awaiting a teardown.

Amidst this, a friend and myself came upon a deal on a 36ft houseboat we could not turn down. So that will likley take up most of my free time over the winter.
Currently rebuilding the engines for the houseboat 2 x Volvo AQ170!

Pic's to come

Must have pics. If we don't see pics, then it didn't happen!

WakeSurfCanada
12-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Must have pics. If we don't see pics, then it didn't happen!
haha well then here are a few I grabbed off my phone.
Here's one of the boat up north before the engine went for a crap
My Vizsla, Copper loving the lake!
Engine on the floor of friends shop
The winter project:

WakeSurfCanada
12-07-2012, 04:42 PM
More houseboat pics

Jetlink
12-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Hey man, nice find on the houseboat. Stinks about the engine in the sunsport though. How's your Vizsla like the boat and the water? My wife and I are torn on dog breeds at the moment though the Vizsla is on my list at the moment.

wotan2525
12-07-2012, 05:35 PM
My weim loves the boat but we hate bringing him. He drinks gallons of water and then gets so excited that he pees (usually on someone.) When he's on the beach he's in and out of the boat on average 7 times/minute. There's always sand EVERYWHERE.

On top of that, if we let him "roam" our beach he is stealing peoples hot dogs or peeing on their beach towels. Or climbing on to their cabin cruisers and stealing food or climbing into their bed with his sandy paws.

He's the sweetest dog in the entire world and is very well behaved.... Until he gets on the boat or the beach!! Then he's a world-class JERK!

Jetlink
12-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Good to know...luckily if we get a dog they can stay behind at the house while we run out on the boat for a little bit. I was curious how they like the water for when we are just hanging out at the house.

autobahnracing
12-08-2012, 01:16 AM
Here is my little boating buddy, he loves the boat and the water. He dances in circles anytime I hook up the boat to the truck.

I have several things I would like to do to my boat this winter and I would certainly appreciate any suggestions from all of you on specific products and the best way to proceed.

1 - Add a tower
2 - Add a hydraulic/electric/????? wake-plate that can be adjusted other than manually
3 - Add a perfect-pass or similar system
4 - Fix what ever is wrong with my lousy inaccurate tach

wotan2525
12-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Good to know...luckily if we get a dog they can stay behind at the house while we run out on the boat for a little bit. I was curious how they like the water for when we are just hanging out at the house.

Love my weim (which is just a slightly larger and greyer Vizsla.) He just isn't allowed to come out on the boat. I walk him down to the beach everyday for a swim, though.

kvand347
12-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Just be careful when trailering your boat with a pet. We lost our yellow lab trying to jump out of the boat when she was tethered to the tower. She'd ridden like that numerous times and for some strange reason she decided to jump out one afternoon. Sadly she got sucked under the trailer tire and passed in my arms a little while later. My heart was crushed and I was a blubbering fool for weeks...all because I didn't want her hair on my black interior. Next dog will be either in porta-kennel strapped in my truck bed or allowed inside. Please learn from my mistake!!

cadunkle
12-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Sorry to her about your dog Kev. My buddy lost his dog just after vacation last summer.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o234/cadunkle/Maine%202011/100_2037.jpg

For this winter if I ever get my other projects done, I have to make my garage door wider so I can get the boat inside, where it's pleasant to work and less frozen. Then of course the real projects... New rudder, pull engine to inspect and replace rear main seal and other gaskets to fix my oil leak, and add second bilge pump. Nothing crazy, just want to get caught up on maintenance for a trouble free summer.

WakeSurfCanada
12-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Hey man, nice find on the houseboat. Stinks about the engine in the sunsport though. How's your Vizsla like the boat and the water? My wife and I are torn on dog breeds at the moment though the Vizsla is on my list at the moment.

Copper loves the water and the boat!
Similar to what wotan said though, in terms of the in/out side of things.
But if its just myself and the g/f going to a cruise he's great.

As for the breed itself, we are very happy with him. My family had a german shorthaired pointer previously which was also a great dog, although we find the Vizsla to be a bit more owner oriented. The GSP would take off at the sight of any bird or rodent. Copper is a bit more reserved and will likely not leave your general vicinity regardless of what is going on.
Hope that helps!

ddb0
12-13-2012, 09:39 PM
well last winter i did new interior and carpet and stereo this winter im re-doing the dash to modernize and match the new interior. on the 86 comp. i have its all sriped down already and new guage bezzel made and new switch pannel just orederd my new guages and steering wheel today. and my dash pads are going to the upholstrey shop on monday. so hopfully ill have the project wraped up by end of january then hopfully im gonna get the tower speakers and interior led lights done before spring as well

gogger
02-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Ok so I am now torn on which tower, I had told Donny I wanted the MT2 Monster tower, http://shop.monstertower.com/p-99-mt2-universal-wakeboard-tower.aspx However now that the New Dimension tower was brought to my attention in another post I might call him back and see if he can get one of those for me. The cost is quite a bit more, but I think I like the style better. http://www.newdimensiontowers.com/galleries/supra/1986-1991_Saltare.html#

tg0824SSVGG
02-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Personally - I like the look of the monster better -- Do you need to be able to fold it down for putting it away? I would talk to owners of both to see what they think about how hard/easy they are to put the tower down before deciding. At the end of the day, it's your choice - and it doesn't matter what "we" think looks better.

You will LOVE having a tower though ...

TitanTn
02-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Ok so I am now torn on which tower, I had told Donny I wanted the MT2 Monster tower, http://shop.monstertower.com/p-99-mt2-universal-wakeboard-tower.aspx However now that the New Dimension tower was brought to my attention in another post I might call him back and see if he can get one of those for me. The cost is quite a bit more, but I think I like the style better. http://www.newdimensiontowers.com/galleries/supra/1986-1991_Saltare.html#

Well, I like the new dimension style much better. You can see that I have one that looks like a new dimension, but it's actually a custom one I had made from Marine Tower Systems just down the road from Donny. New Dimensions is also just down the road from Donny. It is more cost, but I'll personally be happier in the long run. The style of the Monster just looks basic to me and I really don't like the mounts. It has much more of a universal tower looks versus something that was made for the boat. But as it's been said, it's really a personal opinion as to what you like. The bottom line is that having any tower is very convenient and opens up options for towing, storage, bimini's, etc. Just be sure to have Donny put as large of backing plates as he can fit (I'm sure he would anyway).

ramzak
02-04-2013, 09:23 PM
New Trailer:
All Black Anodized Aluminum
LED
Chrome Diamond Plate Fenders
Tool Box on Tongue
14" black Aluminum Wheels
Spare tire with rim
All step surfaces are Rhino-Lined
Brakes
Axles moved foreword from stick for less tongue weight

Blackntan90
02-10-2013, 07:57 AM
ramzak, I would love to see pic's of that trailer!

tg0824SSVGG
02-10-2013, 10:06 AM
Just putting the new Seadek swimdeck pad on the deck. Gotta wait for it to warm up though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramzak
02-11-2013, 02:39 AM

I should have it ready to be picked up sometime this week. Will post pics once I lay my eyes on it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ramzak
02-19-2013, 09:09 PM

Here ya go!

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?14384-My-New-FULLY-CUSTOM-Trailer

jet
02-20-2013, 12:55 AM
I did a lot of led's! White for cargo areas on there own switch and then red for fun nights! lol. My underwater led install made the Oznium.com website!

link: http://www.oznium.com/marine-led-light

TitanTn
02-20-2013, 08:58 AM
My underwater led install made the Oznium.com website!

Cool, you're famous now. I'm guessing you now have LED lights free for life? :cool:

DAFF
02-20-2013, 12:43 PM
My weim loves the boat but we hate bringing him. He drinks gallons of water and then gets so excited that he pees (usually on someone.) When he's on the beach he's in and out of the boat on average 7 times/minute. There's always sand EVERYWHERE.

On top of that, if we let him "roam" our beach he is stealing peoples hot dogs or peeing on their beach towels. Or climbing on to their cabin cruisers and stealing food or climbing into their bed with his sandy paws.

He's the sweetest dog in the entire world and is very well behaved.... Until he gets on the boat or the beach!! Then he's a world-class JERK!

I had a few friends like your dog. A few beers, the open water and few bikinis. Same outcome!!

That housboat has some nice potential. I also like the trailerability of it.

James
02-21-2013, 10:35 PM
I installed some rgb LEDs and a music module to control the flash patterns to music and what not. Only $50 and I have a ton of leftover supplies
http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh556/jamespjackson95/4E1D9547-F60E-4238-B392-E78FFA0A060C-17689-000004B72D5346D1.jpg

Kma4444
02-27-2013, 04:57 PM
I managed to get one of my projects done. This one was the most dire in my mind.

From this:

To this:

MUCH better,,, that's what I think. Well, they are almost done, still need to clean the old silicone and glue these in place.

txnight
02-27-2013, 11:38 PM
Kma, is that a whole new exhaust system? I havent seen anything like that before.

Kma4444
02-28-2013, 02:21 PM
It's new stainless steel through hull pipes. I turned them down and out to knock down on the noise a bit while surfing. Not that it's terribly loud but if you spend enough time back there it can get a bit too much. This should change it just enough. The pipes are above the hull bottom so they won't be in the water when underway but they should be fairly close to the surface of the water.

The plastic ones didn't really fit the character of the boat in my opinion anyway so it was an easy decision to get rid of them. I have a fixture made if anyone else needs a set ;)

txnight
02-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the explanation. What's something like that cost?

Kma4444
03-01-2013, 07:41 AM
I could do a set for $500 and I'm thinking $200 to polish them, that takes a while for sure. I mentioned to my wife I was going to polish them and she said "Why, aren't they going to be underwater?" She's so practical it's awesome.

The stainless material is pretty expensive and that largely drives the price. Good thing is they will never wear out etc..... :cool:

Jetlink
03-01-2013, 08:21 AM
I mentioned to my wife I was going to polish them and she said "Why, aren't they going to be underwater?" She's so practical it's awesome.

I bet this is how most of our wives sound when any of us talk boat mods or any upgrades. This part made me chuckle this morning!