PDA

View Full Version : Why does the forum get hijacked every monday morning with ads

kevkev
10-15-2012, 07:10 AM
It is seriously annoying that when I click on the forum to check out stuff from over the weekend, the forum is full of random ads. Who takes care of these things?

crystal waters
10-15-2012, 01:30 PM
never seen one!!!!

Jetlink
10-15-2012, 02:03 PM
never seen one!!!!It happens almost every Sunday when they hit around midnight central time. I know because that is when I am working and last night I was still waiting for an airplane to arrive so we could fly a 20 minute flight that was delayed over 3 hours. Kinda defeated the whole point of flying but whatever.:grin:

kevkev
10-15-2012, 09:40 PM
It has happened again..

jasun
10-15-2012, 10:46 PM
The nods could do like my cast iron forum and not allow hotmail Yahoo or gmail ... a would sick but would limit the spammers maybe.

tg0824SSVGG
10-15-2012, 11:39 PM
Hit hard again tonight -- just don't reply, and us overpaid volunteers will get them asap...

The forum is better than it used to be, trust me.

86 century
10-16-2012, 01:21 AM
This happens on every forum I been apart of.

Not sue how it is of any benifit as we all know to stay away from it.
That's life in our modern world.

haugy
10-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Yeah, back when I first came in here this place was beyond a trainwreck. You couldn't find a non-spam thread if you tried. Only reason I came back two years ago was some of you guys had really cleaned up the forums.

Jetlink
10-18-2012, 02:19 AM
Hacked again tonight... I didn't really like spam before, now I really don't like it.

tg0824SSVGG
10-18-2012, 08:09 AM
Guys - I don't know what's going on ... the last 3-5 days, I have probably banned over 50 hackers.

I have asked the forum administrator if something has changed in our settings, but I haven't heard back.

I will keep nuking them as I see them, but I only get to look at this from home - not work.

Jetlink
10-18-2012, 01:38 PM
More spam today, I think I counted seven or more threads that I flagged/reported as spam since 8:30AM Central time. And the frustrating thing is that I see one of the "offenders" as being online creating another thread. This is getting ridiculous and I hope that the admins get back to you with something Todd.

kevkev
10-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Guys - I don't know what's going on ... the last 3-5 days, I have probably banned over 50 hackers.

I have asked the forum administrator if something has changed in our settings, but I haven't heard back.

I will keep nuking them as I see them, but I only get to look at this from home - not work.

Sounds like you need a new job :) JK. Keep up the nuking. What part of Colorado do you live? I was born and raised in Thornton / Brighton.

tg0824SSVGG
10-18-2012, 06:46 PM
Kevin,

Born and raised in Denver area - live west of Fort Collins now.

I like that the spammers are getting reported, but at some level - each report generates an email to me and all the other moderators, and becomes a type of spam
all by itself!

If you do report one spammer, I look at all the new stuff and see the spam (or most of it) - some are clever and not like the idiots of late, they actually reply to
the post with something that looks reasonable, but they hide links in their signature, etc ...

Wish these boobs would do something actually productive with all the extra time they seem to have

Jetlink
10-31-2012, 11:34 AM
Ok, not only did it get jacked last night/this morning, the posts are downright ridiculous... This is getting frustrating and embarassing especially with the two that threads that got posted today. I already reported them as spam so will have to wait for one of the moderators to take a look I guess.

tg0824SSVGG
10-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Hey all - it's happening every day, all day, all night. We slamming down about 8-10 a day on some days. We're doing what we can to stay on top of it ....

Jetlink
10-31-2012, 06:05 PM
Hey Todd, have the admins talked about setting it up so that a new user must be approved or moderated at all? Seems like at least in the short term it might help, especially since it seems to me that we have repeat offenders creating new user names and then blowing up the forum. Maybe an automated wait period or freeze for 24 hours where they can't post.

tg0824SSVGG
10-31-2012, 06:08 PM
Hey Todd, have the admins talked about setting it up so that a new user must be approved or moderated at all? Seems like at least in the short term it might help, especially since it seems to me that we have repeat offenders creating new user names and then blowing up the forum. Maybe an automated wait period or freeze for 24 hours where they can't post.

I have asked the admin whether we FINALLY need this step. Funny thing is, we seem to have periods where it's bad, then not for months at a time. We're now tracking
the IP addresses in a separate page each time we ban users. This is so the admin could choose to ban IP addresses. It may, however, also just document how bad it is
lately - and turn up the requirements. He's always resisted having to approve users - but it IS pretty bad right now.

Sucks - but when there were no "moderators" that didn't work at Skiers Choice a few years ago - 75% of the posts were garbage. At least now, while there are 5-6 of us
"regular users" that try to keep the place clean, it's usable.

Ptownkid
11-01-2012, 11:40 AM
There's no need for such a drastic step...whoever takes care of the backend simply has not installed the latest spam/bot blocking software. There are so many to choose from and this does not happen on ANY of the other forums I frequent...

Jetlink
11-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Sorry guys, saw that we just got hacked. I have taken the steps that I am allowed to take as of now to hopefully prevent any more spam from that poster however I am unable to remove the posts yet. Todd or one of the other moderators must take care of that. I will check back in a little bit to make sure we haven't been hit hard again.

5akman
11-18-2012, 12:49 PM
So the last couple of morning I have received emails from Supraboats threads that I have subscribed to that have nothing to do with boating. Is this the spam that you are talking about? If so, how do I get rid of them or can it only be done by the site admin?

Jetlink
11-18-2012, 12:56 PM
One way to avoid those emails is to not subscribe to threads. I do not subscribe to threads and instead I just click to go to the newest post in a thread. That is the only way that you will not receive any emails including those including spam. The moderators are trying to keep up with the spammers but there is only so much we can do.

Ptownkid
11-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Does the admin actually use these forums...

Ptownkid
11-20-2012, 09:55 AM
https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/378134-Bulletproof-spam-amp-scraper-protection

tg0824SSVGG
11-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Guys,

Just ignore it - we're working the best we can - the moderators probably nuke around 30 messages a day. The admin is aware of the issue
and will deal with it when he can.

In the meantime - keep posting pictures and talking repairs!

Todd

Jetlink
11-23-2012, 09:23 PM
As an added request, I know you guys are getting tired of all the spam, we are trying to keep up. Please do not reply to any treads or posts that are spam as that makes it a little difficult in removing the post or thread. We are trying to keep up as best we can and thanks for your patience.

gogger
11-23-2012, 10:10 PM
Sorry was just using my odd sense of humor. Didn't realize it made things more difficult.

DAFF
11-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Last night was the worst ever.:evil:

Perhaps some skill testing questions when opening an account would help?? Example... What is the Hull number of your vessle?? What year was the last Supra made??

Gregmacdog
11-24-2012, 10:45 AM
I agree, I have been seeing it on occasion.
The ones I have been seeing are some sort of advertisment, it never makes any sense.
Then the next day I go on and it is gone.

Jetlink
11-24-2012, 11:28 AM
I agree, I have been seeing it on occasion.
The ones I have been seeing are some sort of advertisment, it never makes any sense.
Then the next day I go on and it is gone.

That's usually because one of the moderators gets a chance to get on here and nuke the offending threads or posts.

Gregmacdog
11-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Thank You Moderators.
Thanks for all the work you do, it seems like there is more and more inappropriate stuff on here.
And thanks for removing it.

I enjoy all the good info and help by all.
Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas