PDA

View Full Version : Installing New CD/MP3 Player over winter lake break

suprasam
10-15-2012, 12:29 PM
The CD player I have in my boat right now doesnt have a MP3 input and drives me nuts! So this winter I am upgrading the unit with a new one. A buddy of mine has a Caravelle and his CD player has a module near the swim platform where you can change the station and volume. Has anyone installed one on their boat? Any recommendations or things to stay away from?

Wylietunes
10-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Just about every marine head-unit on the market offers and will support up to two remotes. They are most commonly located on the transom and on the helm for those boats where the head-unit is located in the glove box. Here are some brands in no particular order:
Alpine
Sony
Clarion
Kenwood
Fusion
Rockford
JBL
Poly Planar
Nautica (Pioneer)

suprasam
10-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the heads up...... I'm going to be buying one soon. Is it better to have it hard wired into the transom or have the remote? I know my luck with remotes and my ass will probably at some point be dropping it in the water without a doubt! So I will more than likely go with the hard wire to the transom.

wotan2525
10-15-2012, 02:33 PM
I think Alpine and Clarion marine units have the best remotes available. It's all about how much money you want to spend..... Good luck!

Wylietunes
10-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the heads up...... I'm going to be buying one soon. Is it better to have it hard wired into the transom or have the remote? I know my luck with remotes and my ass will probably at some point be dropping it in the water without a doubt! So I will more than likely go with the hard wire to the transom.

The advantage of a hard-mounted remote is that they will not get lost or tossed in the water, do not require batteries, do not require line of site with a head-unit that may be in a glove box or under a waterproof cover by the helm. Many have an LCD readout so you can see what you are doing, which is especially helpfully when using the USB or other hi-speed data interconnect.

PabloPicante
10-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Just about every marine head-unit on the market offers and will support up to two remotes. They are most commonly located on the transom and on the helm for those boats where the head-unit is located in the glove box. Here are some brands in no particular order:
Alpine
Sony
Clarion
Kenwood
Fusion
Rockford
JBL
Poly Planar
Nautica (Pioneer)

Personally Kenwood and Sony have always been good to me... Never really had to have them replaced and the sound was always clear and crisp.