PDA

View Full Version : New Cover Pics.

gogger
10-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Just thought I would put out a couple of pics of my expensive new cover. I think it turned out nice. I am happy with it. lol

Jetlink
10-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Dude, that cover is sweet!!! Looks like a fantastic job!

crystal waters
10-16-2012, 05:51 PM
what fabric is that?
what color?
have the same color boat and I like the match up!
thx

gogger
10-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Well I am glad you like it. I will text the shop and find out what the color and fabric is. Thanks

Ptownkid
10-17-2012, 11:54 AM
So there's snaps on the side of your boat?

gogger
10-17-2012, 03:30 PM
There are now.

haugy
10-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Snaps......snaps.........snaps???????????????????? ??????

Gonna snap. Count to 10..........step away from the keyboard.........go have a beer...............must calm down............

jasun
10-18-2012, 08:16 AM
You mean they dont come with snaps? Mine did :)

haugy
10-18-2012, 10:06 AM
I like it...a lot.

http://9.media.tumblr.com/ytIz30sxRnw39iuvveNLEB8Eo1_400.jpg

Okay Gogger, you know I gotta ask. First, yes it does look nice on the boat, because it's tight and the color matches......yay.

But why did you opt to go with the snaps? Why not straps to the trailer? Are you using this as a mooring cover? Since your boat has no tower why couldn't they just put in a cinch line around the base of the cover to snug it up under the rubrail?

wotan2525
10-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Hate to be critical, but I HATE the previous owner that put all the snaps in my boat. Your cover looks great. I think it looks very similar to mine, but I oped to go with the straps to the trailer instead of adding more holes.

Loadup
10-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Cover looks nice. Mine came with SNAPS and a cinch sting for the highway.

Ptownkid
10-18-2012, 12:08 PM
straps are useless if you float your boat for extended periods...

haugy
10-18-2012, 12:35 PM
That's true, but there are alternative methods. Mine could be a mooring cover or a trailer cover. And was used as both very often. It's very apparent that Gogger's cover manufacturer is damn good. I mean that cover is snug tight, smooth fitting, and literally a perfect fit (even in color) for that boat. My thoughts are that the cover manufacturer could have easily designed a non-snap method.

It's personal opinion, and I'm sharing the options so those that see it, can learn that there are alternative methods to everything. Thus making an informed choice. I'm sure Gogger has his reasons for it. Not hating on that. I just hate putting unnecessary holes into a boat that don't have any critical function. Especially snaps, I feel they ruin the smooth lines of these boats.

gogger
10-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Yea I guess I made a bad choice there. I really didn't do my homework on covers. I have no intention of leaving it in the water. So I could have opted for something else. The guy who did the cover did a great job. He just acted like snaps were the only way. I wasn't thrilled with the idea or more snaps. But I didn't think about the effect on the boat. I kind of cringed when he first said he. He does a lot of pontoons and fishing boats, don't think he has ever done a cover for a ski boat. So I guess it will look great when the cover is on it. But not so much without. I haven't had the cover off since I brought it home. So I haven't looked at the effect on the boat. Please except my apologies for putting snaps on it. I think I should ask more questions before I do anything in the future.

gogger
10-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks Ngavdba. I will still love the boat with or without the snaps. Maybe I will have pinstriping done around each one to give it a distinct look. I could have each one flamed that might be cool. Just kidding. Well I hope to make it to the Supra gathering next year and everyone can express there opinions there.

I am hoping to take it to Donny for new stringers in a few weeks. Anything I should beware of on that project so that no one gets mad at me? lol

haugy
10-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Dude. :D

Gogger, I'm sure the boat still looks great man. I'm just not a fan of snaps. You know me, clean lines. I'm all about clean lines.

Now, back into Villian mode: Make sure you wetsand that beautiful color once you get your stringers done so she'll really pop. ;)

gogger
10-18-2012, 09:24 PM
I am with you on the clean lines. That is one thing I love about the boat. Really I haven't been around too many boats with any other type of cover. When he was talking about the snaps I was thinking I wasn't going to like them real well. I probably should have went with another cockpit cover and used the snaps that were already there. I just thought I would like a fuller cover better. Leave and learn I guess. I do like the new cover and am sure it will be fine. Everyone will still look at it and wonder what the hell it is. I have been asked a dozen times at the lake if it is a jet boat. And the division of watercraft guys haven't seen anything like it either. They won't notice the snaps.

I am going to have Donny sand and buff it. It should be pretty by the spring. And I enjoy the Villian stuff on the sight. Makes you think.....

haugy
10-18-2012, 09:39 PM
So who is this "Donny"? I've seen him referenced on here before. Is that who you took your boat to ngavdba? Where is he located?

Gogger if you dont' mind my asking, what's he hitting you with on the charge to do the stringers? Feel free to PM me if you want to keep it private.

sybrmike
10-18-2012, 09:41 PM
First off - the cover looks great. Congrats! - I wish I had one that looked so sharp (mine's a garage queen with a Harbor Freight special tarp to keep the garage gunk down). Maybe someday...

Although, I'm in the evil villain Haugy no-snap camp - even went so far as to remove the factory snaps at the walkthrough, all bimini hardware, and anchor light base and filled with gelcoat. Good luck with the stringers. There's definitely some experienced folks here willing to offer good first hand advice and varying opinions - foam/no foam, marine ply/dimensional lumber, snaps/no-snaps, etc. Consider them all, but my thought is in the end it's your boat so do what you want. Nobody will get mad (well, except maybe Haugy :)).

Jetlink
10-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Should see if he has any comps in there that he is working on...

Jetlink
10-19-2012, 12:05 AM
Looks like I need to bid a long Knoxville overnight after school lets out so I can go check this place out and talk about having him work on my boat.

haugy
10-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Where the hell have you been? Not reading my posts obviously.
Donny Bennett, Bennett's Boat Repair, 517 Pink Dogwood Ln, Maryville, TN 37803 Phone: 865-982-9589

Meh, I never listen to you anymore. You're so mean. :D:D

If you don't mind my asking, how much was the full blown stringer repair and top cap work you had done? PM me if you would like. He might be a nice asset to have on the project I'm planning. And when you say it's his way or his way. Does he have any flexibility? Or does he only do straight up replacement work? Because what I'm designing is way more complex than what he's doing there.

gogger
10-19-2012, 04:48 PM
The main reason I had the cover made was for when I took it to Donny's for stringers. I figured it would be sitting out for a while and a good cover would help a lot. My cockpit cover wasn't water proof and was torn up in the big storm this summer. Should have snapped it down a few minutes sooner and it would have been fine.

Donny quoted me $5000 for the Pirata. Pretty sure he said that was the price for the biggens.

haugy
10-19-2012, 04:50 PM
TDonny quoted me $5000 for the Pirata. Pretty sure he said that was the price for the biggens.

Biggens being the big boats? Or like big boobs? :D

gogger
10-19-2012, 05:04 PM
I hope he meant big boats. lol He hasn't seen me to judge the size of my man boobs.

TitanTn
10-20-2012, 06:48 PM
straps are useless if you float your boat for extended periods...

Actually I float mine with a strap cover with no issues. I like the flexibility of adjusting the firmness with straps from outside the boat, and not having snaps.

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/fun/jocassee/covered_at_dock.jpg

TitanTn
10-20-2012, 06:50 PM
And Gogger - I might see your boat there, or you might see mine. I'm likely taking mine to Donny next week to have him wet sand and polish.

gogger
10-21-2012, 07:43 PM
I will probably take mine the second week of November. I didn't ask the price of sanding and polishing, what did he tell you?

TitanTn
10-21-2012, 10:16 PM
I will probably take mine the second week of November. I didn't ask the price of sanding and polishing, what did he tell you?

For the biggens (not talking about boobs Haugy), he says it typically starts about $800. It just depends on how much you want done and how bad of condition it's in and therefore how much sanding he has to do. He won't really know until he sees the boat.