PDA

View Full Version : sticking starter

matt
10-10-2005, 04:05 PM
engine starts. and starter keeps turning over. disconnected silenoid to stop starter even turned key off didnt stop . im wondering if this is a key problem or a silenoid problem or maybe a starter problem/

Salty87
10-11-2005, 10:56 AM
i've had that happen before and it was a solenoid. the solenoid should stop current but it remains open and the starter spins.

matt
10-13-2005, 07:20 PM
I tried the silenoid no dice I also disconnected all the wires to the key and it still turns over. maybe another bad silenoid? maybe a starter? does anyone have a picture of the silenoid on a 92 the silenoid says to leave a wire off that was originally connected. if connected the ready to start buzzer sounds even when the boat is off.

IndyMatt
11-14-2005, 09:58 AM
I had the same thing happen on a 1990 crown victoria. It was a the starter. Sorry... its the more expensive repair. Im not sure exactly what the problem was... but basically would not disengage. Good luck.

NC Rider
11-15-2005, 04:37 PM
My 84 Rider (351 PCM) is doing the same thing. I have replaced the solenoid several times but the solenoid randomly sticks on until I whack it with a screwdriver handle. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!

IndyMatt
11-15-2005, 05:39 PM
Im not sure how the solenoid is mounted on the PCM. I believe its bolted to somthing metallic, thus the base of the solenoid acts as the ground. If the ceramic insulator inside has become loose or broken (maybe from hitting it with a screwdriver) then the coil will not be making a solid contact with the ground, causing a malfunction. If the solenoid is not directly mounted to somthing metal, than there should be a ground wire. Make sure the ground is clean and in good contact. A quick test would be to remove the solenoid, shake it and feel if there is anything loose or rattling around inside.