PDA

View Full Version : Winterization

IUFAN24
10-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Have a 87 Sunsport 351 PCM. It's been about 12 years since I winterized my own boat (had a Ski Supreme).

Can anyone list the steps in order to refresh my memory? Here is what I remember
1. Dunk boat leaving on trailer.
2. Fire up engine and pour oil directly into carb until blue smoke
3. Turn off engine, pull each plug -> shoot shot of oil down into plug hole.
4. Empy water out of exhaust manifolds and impeller
5. Change oil / filter
6. Fill gas tank

What am I forgetting???

IndyMatt
10-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Your forgetting that IU sucks!! Sorry (West Lafayette here) its that time of the year and there have been some great winterization postings on ths BB. Look around a little. The nice thing is that with the direct drives access is great. Have fun.

silvtongdvl
10-19-2005, 11:06 AM
I play a different game with the fuel. Since you are South of the Mason-dixon line - this may work for you too. I run the fuel down to almost empty - then in December fill tank about 1/2 - beginning of Feb - fill the rest of the way. Usually by the end of Feb or early March - I can't take it anymore and we are out on the boat. Last year we never stopped except for late dec to mid feb. - thank god for dry suits.
~S~

IndyMatt
10-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Must be nice.... In January... I couldnt fall through the ice if I wanted to!! Lets just say people drive their RV's onto the ice to fish with all the comforts of home.