PDA

View Full Version : 454 removal

jasun
10-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Looking for ideas on what to use to lift it out. I'm thinking of using a fork lift at work. What have others used and does anyone have an idea on how much it might weigh with the tranny attached?

gogger
10-21-2012, 07:38 PM
I used my Allis Chalmers 180 with a front end loader. I would guess the weight to be around 800 pounds.

mr.jrc
10-21-2012, 08:30 PM
and you will need to get about 9-10' above the boat when on a trailer to get enough clearance.

haugy
10-22-2012, 09:20 AM
I use a Gantry crane. Easiest way I've found to do it to be quite honest.

You can pick them up for a decent enough price, or build you one. They are worth it in the long run though. I borrow my buddies, and used it about 30 times in the week I had it. I plan on building one this winter so I can lift out my 454.

wotan2525
10-22-2012, 10:06 AM
I've done this more times than I care to remember and used more methods than I care to remember. I've never found a cherry picker that had enough reach or was tall enough. This is a fairly hard job, actually. Here are some of the methods that have worked for me.

- Vertical come-along hanging from a tree branch.
- Hydraulic mechanics hoist. Oddly enough, the hoist itself wouldn't go tall enough. We ended up blocking the engine and then using a vertical come-along from the overhead support.
- Garage rafters. Friend had a pretty high garage ceiling. Wasn't quite high enough. Had to let all the air out of the trailer tires to get boat out from under the hanging engine.
- And the sketchiest -- borrowed a friends "bucket truck." It hadn't run in 10 years. Had no brakes. The entire bucket assembly was powered by hand cranks. Leaned like crazy with the 800+lbs of engine hanging from it. Hoisted it up far enough to replace the oil pan and gasket. In hindsight, it was a pretty dumb idea laying/standing under the hanging engine.

wspeedin
10-22-2012, 11:57 AM
I used a forklift
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k483/wspeedin/IMG_20120610_115850.jpg

haugy
10-23-2012, 09:14 AM
I've done this more times than I care to remember and used more methods than I care to remember. I've never found a cherry picker that had enough reach or was tall enough. This is a fairly hard job, actually. Here are some of the methods that have worked for me.

- Vertical come-along hanging from a tree branch.
- Hydraulic mechanics hoist. Oddly enough, the hoist itself wouldn't go tall enough. We ended up blocking the engine and then using a vertical come-along from the overhead support.
- Garage rafters. Friend had a pretty high garage ceiling. Wasn't quite high enough. Had to let all the air out of the trailer tires to get boat out from under the hanging engine.
- And the sketchiest -- borrowed a friends "bucket truck." It hadn't run in 10 years. Had no brakes. The entire bucket assembly was powered by hand cranks. Leaned like crazy with the 800+lbs of engine hanging from it. Hoisted it up far enough to replace the oil pan and gasket. In hindsight, it was a pretty dumb idea laying/standing under the hanging engine.

Mental note, you are never allowed to help me lift out an engine. :D :D Holy crap man.

jasun
10-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Im with haugy....

though I have an Amish Neighbor and Im planning to use a team of 4 plow horses, a tree, a pully, and some hemp rope.... ;)

Actually, Im planning a tow strap and a fork lift.

I went through and documented all I needed to unhook and did that so now I just have to wait till Sat to take it out.

sybrmike
10-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Harbor Freight chain hoist from the rafters in my mechanic buddies shop. I'd guess ~900 lbs for engine/trans. Wonder why nobody would walk underneath it?

Jetlink
10-23-2012, 01:07 PM
I haven't had to pull the engine from the comp yet but for other engine pulls I have had to do, I use one of these...

http://www.volvoce.com/constructionequipment/europe/en-gb/products/wheelloaders/wheelloaders/L110G_L120G/Pages/featuresandbenefits.aspx

haugy
10-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Shit Ben!!! I'd hate to see what you use to change a tire! :D

Jetlink
10-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Shit Ben!!! I'd hate to see what you use to change a tire! :D
I subscribe the school of thought, "Don't work harder, work smarter." Though some might say this is over kill or cheating. I thought about picking up the comp to polish the bottom with two of these. Then I decided to scrap that idea as nobody really sees the bottom and I now have a lift that the boat goes in and I can just lift it and get under it that way to clean it.

Haugy, you should see how we move cars and parallel park cars with those things.