PDA

View Full Version : Octane level.

Dinoz
10-13-2005, 05:54 PM
Hey Guys,

Quick question regarding octane level, I know it states for my '89 Comp that I use 89 octane, just wondering if it that crucial. What would be the result of running 87 octane instead. Anyone out there use 87 octane?

Hopefully by spring time gas pricing will come back down to earth, don't have to worry about it until the spring time again up here in Ontario.

Cheers,

DZ.

Mike
10-14-2005, 08:54 AM
I have a 89 Comp and use 87 octane almost exculsively (put 10 gallons of the good stuff in to start the season). Seems just be working out just fine.

Mike

Dinoz
10-14-2005, 09:29 AM
Thanks Mike,

Have you had your boat sinse new? I read in the owners manual for the PCM motor that if you run 87, you should change the timing. I don't really want to go to that extent though. Thanks for the input.

DZ.

IndyMatt
10-14-2005, 04:00 PM
According to Indmar, Any gasoline of reliable source with an octane rating of 87 or higher will be appropriate for these motors. The reason 89 is reccomended is not due to performance improvements, rather than typically, the fuel in your boat is not used as quickly and often as your car may be. As fuel integrity breaks down with periods of storage, the octane level will drop. Starting with a higher octane gasoline gives you more of a window of fuel acceptability without affecting timing and engine knock.

wpg89supra
10-19-2005, 08:33 PM
I us regular gas and it seems to work fine. Just bought my 89 Conbrio in Sept., had it out twice before it got to cold here in Manitoba. Really looking forward to spring and i think i will try the super for the first tank.

wpg89supra
10-19-2005, 08:35 PM
I us regular gas and it seems to work fine. Just bought my 89 Conbrio in Sept., had it out twice before it got to cold here in Manitoba. Really looking forward to spring and i think i will try the super for the first tank.