PDA

View Full Version : Documenting my 86 Saltare Rebuild

jasun
10-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Well after orginally just planning on taking up the floor up to the engine compartment for some repairs, I've decided to take the advice of many on here and do it right. I actually started tearing into it about 3 weeks ago here and there but last night decided to start documenting it 2 mins at a time...

I do not plan on posting all the pics on this site, but I will put some up here and there and here is a link to the photobucket folder (though it keeps wanting to sort them from newest to oldest) that I will keep them on...

Here is the link (http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/Supra%20Restore/)

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/Supra%20Restore/IMG_0615_zps0bad8d94.jpg
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/Supra%20Restore/IMG_0622_zpsf8d2f988.jpg

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/Supra%20Restore/IMG_0638_zps7ee6c978.jpg
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/Supra%20Restore/IMG_0658_zps3cb9d567.jpg

You can see in that last pic that the secondary stringer just left of the exhaust is missing about a foot of it.
I started with the sawzall and switched to the circular saw and it worked a lot better after I got "new" floor off.

I will be pulling the engine this weekend and will make sure to take pictures of that also...

My timeline for this project is to have it all prepped by Jan and start to cut and shape the stringers and have everything ready to glass by March/April (or as soon as it gets warm enough outside)

Wish me luck!

86 century
10-24-2012, 08:28 PM
I am yet to do a supra but have replaced stringers in three glass boats so far.
Hands down the best tool is one of the oscillating cutters lets you control the depth and make flush cuts.

TitanTn
10-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Any more updates yet?

Ptownkid
10-30-2012, 07:20 AM
Updates? Yeah...%^&# this piece of %#&$ boat, what the %^&# was I thinking for the love of &$%^. Hahaha, juuuuust kidding. I'm interested too!

jasun
10-30-2012, 07:43 AM
I got the engine pulled this weekend... (brought the camera to keep my 2 min's alive but forgot the SD Card!!!). my goal is to get the top off this weekend and start the real work.

I do have a question about all the Misc things on the floor.. first off the drain in front of the Engine... I tried to open it up but the bastard wont turn... the whole thing shifts but it wont budge... Do you remove the entire plug and re set it in there? Same thing with the rudder mount, ski pole mount, drive shaft, water intake and wake plate mount. Is it a good idea to remove them fully and put them back on with Fresh sealant? I have never had any leaks from any of them.
Thoughts?

TitanTn
10-30-2012, 08:33 AM
I'm not sure that many people remove the drain hole in front of the engine. The plug, yes. The hole, no. Let it soak with penetrating oil and try again.

I would go ahead and remove the other items. It'll be nice to re-bed them and know they're good to go for a long time. Plus they stay out of the way during a messy, resin-filled rebuild.

sybrmike
10-30-2012, 09:35 AM
If the plug flange is shifting, then sounds like it needs to come out and be re-set & resealed. Mine has a flange on the inside of the hull with three small screws that go through the flange and into the hull. If it's shifting then these are stripped (if yours is the same). My ski pole base mounted to the bottom using two longer screws from one of the turn skegs and then side bolted into the stringers. I removed the ski pole & base. I also removed the drive strut since it was bent and the rudder port since it was worn out. Both were still fastened solid (old 5200 is some tough stuff!) with no leaks & after what it took to get those off, I figured the remaining hardware was o.k. So I left the fresh water intake, both skegs, both drains, and shaft log. I even left the wakeplate - didn't want to face trying to remove all the screws (27 if I remember correctly) and simply cut it off leaving a flange projecting from the transom to which I bolted my new trim tabs. Some of it will depend on if you're replacing any wood (supporting the rudder port, around the transom drain, etc.).

lively
11-07-2012, 07:41 PM
alright another build !!! dude dont say you are not posting pics... cause believe me you will be looking at ours lol !! post em !! we love to watch it !! at least i do .. you ready for some glassin!!!! whooo hooo lol .. good luck

jasun
11-08-2012, 10:35 AM
I will be posting pictures! Just no much progess done...

I got some of the worst news a guy can get. My wife decided she needs space so she moved out last week so I havnt had much motivation at this point to do much. its a long story, but the jist of it is "Its nothing youve done, your a great guy and any woman would be lucky to have you, but I wonder why I am still not happy"... kinda thing... So it is time to give her some time and space to figure her shit out...

but, I do have a couple pics of the 454 sitting in the garage:
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/Johnson-20121027-00151.jpg

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/Johnson-20121027-00152.jpg

I am not planning on rebuilding the engine this year, but would it be smart to change the oil pan gasket and maybe the oil pump while it is out of the boat? Do those go bad often?

I am planning on pulling the cap this weekend if my buddy can come through with his New Holland Tractor... If so, I will post some pics of that.

Jetlink
11-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Dang man, that's a serious gut check there... Hope it all works out for you both.

jasun
11-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Yeah it is... let me tell you I wouldn't wish it on anyone... I know my wife and I am 100% sure she is not cheating on me because she is not like that and had never lied to me. So I have ruled out that thought... She moved back in with her parents so that is a relief atleast I know she is surrounded by people who love and care about her. I think she needs to go talk to someone and get a lot of stuff out... we have had some non marriage issues over the past 2 years that hit her hard... Thanks for the thoughts!

wotan2525
11-08-2012, 12:33 PM
I am not planning on rebuilding the engine this year, but would it be smart to change the oil pan gasket and maybe the oil pump while it is out of the boat? Do those go bad often?

Sorry to hear about your personal situation. Hopefully things will only get better....

Here's what I would do if I had an engine out (but was not rebuilding it.) Replace the drain plug with a hydraulic line that can actually drain the oil. Pirtek can make one for you, or else I think that SkiDim sells one that screws in. Makes oil changes a lot better and more effective.

I'd for sure pull the oil pan and inspect (hell... just replace) the rear main seal. This is the easiest time to replace it and it's somewhat of a "preventative" thing. This also gives you a chance to look at your rod bearings and take a peak at your cylinder walls for any scratching/scoring/pitting. Fingers crossed for you!

mr.jrc
11-08-2012, 08:10 PM
jasun, nice GSXR... i second the oil pan pull and rear main inspection. Looks like your heads have been removed, possible valve job and hot tank cleaned judging by the lack of paint/rust.

jasun
11-09-2012, 08:15 AM
jasun, nice GSXR...

I tricked you! You would have gotten bonus point for getting it correct. It is infact a TL1000R... though I am not sure anyone could have gotten that from that picture!

I plan on doing both this winter.

jasun
11-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Offical Status of rebuild is "Moth Balled"....

things are not going well on the home front and I need to dedicate my time to my marriage at this point. One driving factor I found out was that my DW feels that the Boat is more important then she is... So I made the easy decision of letting the damn thing sit. It would have been a lot easier had she told me this before moving out and I could have made a change then, but us men are stupid and need to be told things and because of that, I didn't think she minded me working out in the building.... Guess I was wrong... Anyway, dont look for any updates for a while...

TitanTn
11-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the update and good luck. It sounds like you have your priorities right and that will hopefully lead to a great outcome. The boat will always be there and ready when you are.

mr.jrc
11-12-2012, 11:54 AM
good advice TitanTn, if possible in the future, arrange some work parties, volunteer some friends, pay in beer and pizza, and make big progress in short time intervals. ... and Ohio State, an undefeated season? how is that possible? (me: BSME OSU '89)

wotan2525
11-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Offical Status of rebuild is "Moth Balled"....

things are not going well on the home front and I need to dedicate my time to my marriage at this point. One driving factor I found out was that my DW feels that the Boat is more important then she is... So I made the easy decision of letting the damn thing sit. It would have been a lot easier had she told me this before moving out and I could have made a change then, but us men are stupid and need to be told things and because of that, I didn't think she minded me working out in the building.... Guess I was wrong... Anyway, dont look for any updates for a while...

I can't speak to your specific situation but I've had similar issues with girlfriends in the past. (Not just about the boat.... I just have a lot of interests that aren't "them.") Here's what I can tell you (and it may just be because my current girlfriend is badass, but nontheless) -- get her involved! Make her feel like it's not a "me" project but an "us" project. My girlfriend loves to hang out in the shop with me and loves when I show her how to do a new thing or explain to her why/how/what I'm working on. Sometimes she's just keeping track of my tools or arranging supplies, but she loves being included and I love the help!

Now, I know that a lot of gals are probably not into hanging out in the shop, but I wonder if some of that isn't just intimidation. My girlfriend is very "girly" but she is thrilled with the fact that she can now fix her brakes or change the oil in a motorcycle or explain how a 4-stroke engine differs from a 2-stroke. Maybe you and your gal can find some common ground in the garage and use that to bridge the gap?

Good luck!!

jasun
11-14-2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the support guys.. It has been a rough couple weeks for me but it is good to know that this is a place to go for support.

@wontan - I have tried to get her envovled, but she have never been a water person. She likes to ride in the boat is about all...

@mr.jrc - 10-0.... how about that! lol as long as we beat that team up north, it will be a great season... I hope they have denard back by then because their new QB can actually throw the ball!

jasun
12-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Well a little update on things... My wife and I have decided to split. The last couple of weeks have been good for me as I have had time to think how happy i really was. being that we never did much together, i realized that she was not happy and neither was i. I enjoyed her company and we made good roommates, but we have little in common anymore and are both ok with the outcome. I think it will be as clean as the process can be. She is letting me keep the Salt! lol And i am negotiating to still keep my boat at my brother in laws house too... lol

that being said, it is time to start on the boat again. I need to get the cap pulled off so I can start the tear out and clean up... wish me luck!

TitanTn
12-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Well, it doesn't sound right to say congratulations on the split, but I am glad that it is mutual and friendly. But I can definitely say congratulations on the starting the boat project again! I look forward to seeing the updates and pictures. What's your timeline? Do you plan to float this spring/summer? Or are we looking at a 2014 launch?

wotan2525
12-04-2012, 11:37 AM
I've never been divorced (but have plenty of friends that have.) I wish you the best but they always seem to start out friendly and "mutual" until the money and lawyers get involved. Good luck!!

jasun
12-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Thanks! Im shooting for a spring launch... might not get as much done as i would like to but i need to think of it as a long term project now!

I hope it stays like it is though... so far so good.. i dont think she will change her mind and try to stick it to me. We will go through the same lawyer. I even offered her the Salt and she said she didn't want it! lol

wish me luck in both endeavours!!!

gogger
12-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Well I have been divorced, and we were able to keep things pretty peaceful. We were young and didn't have a whole lot of stuff. We just sold the house, split the profit and moved on. For a long time I thought her and I would get back together. I had a crush on her since I was in the forth grade, she was my best friends older sister. Years went by and we started working together and I asked her out. We hit a rough patch and she was quick to move out and call it quits. I was a little surprised, but figured we would work it out. She always acted like she would never remarry, but after a few months I suddenly couldn't get in touch with her and found she had gotten married and moved to California.

My present wife and I have been together for 23 years now. We have had some issues through the years, and it was starting to seem like we had nothing in common anymore, until we got the supra. Now we seem to have more in common than ever. The boat has made our marriage a lot more fun.

jasun
12-06-2012, 08:44 AM
My present wife and I have been together for 23 years now. We have had some issues through the years, and it was starting to seem like we had nothing in common anymore, until we got the supra. Now we seem to have more in common than ever. The boat has made our marriage a lot more fun.

Gives me hope!!! Thanks!

12-16-2012, 08:52 PM
We laminated over the same situation for several years. We have a 1988 Supra Comp that needed new Floors and Stringers. My husband discovered all of the rotten wood after he started updating the interior. 4 years the boat set because we didn't know what to do about the floor and stringers. We thought about doing it ourselves, then after I read about Donnie Bennett in Marysville Tn on this form; I decided to give him a call to get a price. Donnie knows what he is doing and it worth every dime. His price was great too! It was the best decision I ever made. We dropped the boat off in April 2012 and got it back in June 2012. Donnie did an excellent job. Water tested and ready to go. It would be wise to consider contacting Donnie as he does work for Mastercraft, Supra and Ranger! He is excellent!

jasun
12-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Well i took the next big step last Sat. Pulled the Cap. Here are couple quick pictures as now we are in FL for vacation, but here it is:
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/14AB046B-524B-48D8-A545-764996EDF307-9797-00000A9C067449E6.jpg
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/8BD76284-7574-4596-A37B-D063AF431209-9797-00000A9C0D795B18.jpg

TitanTn
12-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Progress!! Good to see. Are you going to have some dedicated time to work on it over the holidays?

jasun
12-27-2012, 08:01 PM
unfortunatly no.... we are on vacation in FL right now. We will be getting back Sunday so maybe a little before I go back to work, but I will be trying to kill it before it warms up so I can glass then...

jasun
12-31-2012, 01:30 AM
well i got all of the floor tore up today. Ihad a couple questions to those who have been through this...

Is there a 1x1 strip ontop of the floor that the cap screws into? Is this glassed ontop of the floor?
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/DBA77AA4-EE74-43AF-8ADC-FF86F87FFC06-14256-00000E725D8E8B63.jpg

also, has anyone made the center bildge go all the way to the front and skip building this back in???:

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/1474D3E4-BB79-49FF-9483-793CABEF7AF0-14256-00000E72567141C3.jpg

Salty87
12-31-2012, 10:22 AM
i don't exactly remember on question #1. i know there was a nice piece of kiln dried 1x1 that i re-used. i don't recall if it was glassed in. if i remember correctly, it was on top of the carpet in mine. but yes, the bottom of the topcap screws into it. i don't remember glassing it back in.

for the bilge, i modified it but rebuilt the partition. hoses through foam is an awful design. i changed it by making the partition a few inches short of reaching the bottom of the floor. i essentially built a ledge to channel any water that might get into the hoses to the bilge. it still provides airflow. i suspect the partition is there to help the bilge pump. if the space where the pump is located is very big it will take a larger amount of water to get deep enough for the pump to remove it.

is your garage warm? i don't want to imagine pulling out cold/wet foam.

sybrmike
12-31-2012, 08:38 PM
My original floor was simply screwed into the top of the stringers - no 1x filler piece. I rebuilt the same way, but laid down a strip of saturated mat on top of the stringers just prior to laying the floor, predrilling and filling the screw holes with resin, then glassing over the recessed screw heads.

I did not put the partition back in under the bow. I went back with a single 4" vent hose from each side (new vents and collector inserts) and simply terminated them through the floor just ahead of the ice chest. I figured the fresh air was still making it down into the central bilge area as intended. I did fill in the low spot in the keel just forward of the original partition with resin/glass so that water wouldn't be trapped & could flow to the rear. I also made a removable panel out of the entire area between the inner stringers and from the engine cover to the rear of the ice chest (no pylon) so I have decent access if anything in the bilge were to ever roll up under the playpen floor.

jasun
01-01-2013, 01:43 PM
is your garage warm? i don't want to imagine pulling out cold/wet foam.

I figure if it freezes, that it will be that much easier to pull out. lol
I have an 80K BTU heater I use when I am out there working.

I plan to pull the foam out and take many measurements of the stringers. Cut them out, and grind grind grind....

To set my stringers, can I use thickened poly instead of epoxy if I make sure all the old glass and poly is taken up?

jasun
01-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Another thing i noticed when I slip the hull is that the very end of the nose on the cap looks broke off... looks like it is missing 2" or so... any thoughts on how to fix that? I will try to take pics tonight....

TitanTn
01-02-2013, 04:58 PM
If this is indeed the case, you'll get to practice your fiberglassing and gelcoating skills.

jasun
01-02-2013, 05:02 PM
If this is indeed the case, you'll get to practice your fiberglassing and gelcoating skills.

I cannot wait!! I dont suppose you can give me a nice clay mold of the front of your salt could you??? ;)

TitanTn
01-02-2013, 05:07 PM
I'd be glad to give you dimensions at the very least. Depending on how much is missing, I don't think it'd be a big deal. It doesn't do anything spectacular in terms of shape. Once you're comfortable using fiberglass and gel, you should get a feel for how it can come together.

sybrmike
01-03-2013, 11:12 AM
I used thickened poly to set my stringers (poly throughout except for a few structural items - tower backer plates, etc.). Don't know where I heard it, but I've always operated under the premise that epoxy will stick to poly or epoxy and poly will stick to poly, but poly does not bond well with cured epoxy? The hull was originally built with poly, so polyester should stick just fine. Make sure to rough up the surface & wipe down with solvent to get a good bond.

I too dinged the top cap on my bow (actually from wrestling it single handed back onto the hull :(). The repair & fairing wasn't too difficult, but my gel match wasn't the best. Fortunately, most of the repair is under the rub rail so it's not too noticeable. Good luck.

jasun
01-03-2013, 11:24 AM
What did you add to the Poly to Thicken it up? shreaded chop mat?

TitanTn
01-03-2013, 11:32 AM
What did you add to the Poly to Thicken it up? shreaded chop mat?

For general fiberglass work, you won't need to thicken it. But for bedding stringers (as Mike mentioned above), you wan't to thicken it. There are LOTS of thickeners - http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search_subCategory.do?categoryName=Thickeners%20/%20Fillers%20/%20%20Additives&category=210&page=GRID - but the most common is some type of Silica. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=846&familyName=Silica+Cab-o-sil+Thickener

Salty87
01-03-2013, 12:36 PM
shredded chopped mat works great for small areas, otherwise it takes a while to pull it apart. but, it will melt into the resin nicely one done. silica, beads and other things like sawdust (i've read that it will work but have never tried it) actually weaken the resin a bit. probably not a huge deal for rebuilding purposes. due to the concave shape of the hull and the floor/stringer design this project is somewhat similar to a well designed and built arch...the weight of the materials helps locks everything into place. a decent job of bedding stringers, wrapping them in fiberglass and laying a good floor on top leaves little chance for anything shifting or moving out of place. locked in moisture is the real problem that needs to be addressed, the design and construction are plenty strong as is and probably overbuilt.

for bedding stringers, check out PL premium construction adhesive. it's a popular choice for backyard rebuilders. you can get it at big box store in large caulk tubes.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pl_ca_prem/overview/Loctite-PL-Premium-Polyurethane-Construction-Adhesive.htm

jasun
01-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Well I made some good progress today... Got all the foam out of one side and kept it fairly clean... I am feeling better and better about this just because it is organized... went through 6 garbage bags of foam.... Here are some pics:
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/35CC8454-5D97-48E6-8553-373146D5629D-4637-0000040F2B00A2E9.jpg

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/86AAD596-EB06-4C03-9D0E-669417CFD881-4637-0000040F4A721994.jpg

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/BB60CE64-28EE-445B-9593-2B49910B2615-4637-0000040F1B4CFD0F.jpg

I used a shopvac as I did it to get all the little pieces... Filled a 16 gallon shop vac 1 and 1/2 times:
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/09252C85-7D68-4112-A986-FB4BBE3C7890-4637-0000040F3A3F88A9.jpg

jasun
01-05-2013, 11:46 PM
and here is a pic of the missing nose:
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/BE0A7A56-F307-4E2C-A3E1-7F5E560905A9-4637-0000040ED3D924F4.jpg

and finally the cap sitting out back on the trailer:

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/FA3A7803-807C-4065-9007-E5D4807A8BCB-4637-0000040EFD03C0C0.jpg

bens250ex
01-06-2013, 10:39 PM
that nose piece would be easy as pie to fix. After you start doing your stringers you will see the stuff is extremely simple and easy to work with. Most important things to remeber is make sure the area is clean and sanded to get the glass to bond well and temperature and uv lighting has alot to do with the curing.

chris young
01-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Ok, slightly off topic but definitely part of the discussion. What resin are you guys using for all these rebuilds? I'm an experienced epoxy guy, I've been using the stuff to build windsurfers for 30 years. (oh god, really? 30 years? man that was hard to write!)

Anyhow, it's always been my understanding that these boats are built with polyester resin, which, if you can deal with the smell, is considerably cheaper to use. When I took delivery of mine, the hull suffered a minor ding, which I need to repair. It's minor enough that I'll just do it with epoxy, but for big stuff like this, wouldn't polyester be the call?

TitanTn
01-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Ok, slightly off topic but definitely part of the discussion. What resin are you guys using for all these rebuilds? I'm an experienced epoxy guy, I've been using the stuff to build windsurfers for 30 years. (oh god, really? 30 years? man that was hard to write!)

Anyhow, it's always been my understanding that these boats are built with polyester resin, which, if you can deal with the smell, is considerably cheaper to use. When I took delivery of mine, the hull suffered a minor ding, which I need to repair. It's minor enough that I'll just do it with epoxy, but for big stuff like this, wouldn't polyester be the call?

I'm no resin professional, but I'm saying you'd be fine to use epoxy resin. Polyester only sticks to polyester, but epoxy sticks to both. If you're doing a major repair, why use the more expensive epoxy when poly will work fine? But if you already have the epoxy, are more comfortable in using it, then go for it! The big draw back for using epoxy in boat repairs (when the boat was originally built with poly) is the cost. So if your repair is small, you're certainly not hurting yourself to use epoxy.

jasun
01-07-2013, 12:46 PM
I am planning on using Poly for everything (inlcuding bedding the stingers). If the poly they used lasted 20+ years, then mine will too... Also I think if I do 1/2 as good as they did, i will be in business... here are a few pics of some the stringers up front.... It looks like my boat was glassed on the Friday before Christmas Break...

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/18AE53F5-C2A7-460B-BF98-0FBA0BEC1CA1-5703-00000517F566A356.jpg
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/BBBD3828-772E-4D03-B9E8-2D35C4FD9D1C-5703-00000517FEE50261.jpg

TitanTn
01-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Yeah. Sometimes, the factory left a lot to be desired in terms of quality. No one puts the heart and soul into it that an owner does. I'd say if you did 1/2 as good as the manufacturer, it'll still be an improvement (not trying to dog Supra here. I think the same is true for all manufacturers of this time period)!

jasun
01-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Well I have made a little more progress... I have removed all the foam and the only thing left in the boat is the water intake and the drive shaft...

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/A5748294-F45B-42E6-8A6D-3154B69B20CA-2924-00000256D3C4A7EC.jpg
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/AAFB429C-A093-4338-937C-4BA9F36E136D-2924-0000025669E8783E.jpg

Now my questions...
I went through and measured the stringers for length and heigth... my question is i got about a 1/4" measurement difference from the inside of the outer stringers from the outside of the outer stringers...do you cut them flat or do you bevel cut them? Did you take a measurement from the side of the boat to the outside of the stinger to give you a reference point on where to bed them? and Finally (for now), how did you get the bend in the outer stringers towards the front of the hull?

Salty87
01-19-2013, 10:18 PM
Well I have made a little more progress... I have removed all the foam and the only thing left in the boat is the water intake and the drive shaft...

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/A5748294-F45B-42E6-8A6D-3154B69B20CA-2924-00000256D3C4A7EC.jpg
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/AAFB429C-A093-4338-937C-4BA9F36E136D-2924-0000025669E8783E.jpg

Now my questions...
I went through and measured the stringers for length and heigth... my question is i got about a 1/4" measurement difference from the inside of the outer stringers from the outside of the outer stringers...do you cut them flat or do you bevel cut them? Did you take a measurement from the side of the boat to the outside of the stinger to give you a reference point on where to bed them? and Finally (for now), how did you get the bend in the outer stringers towards the front of the hull?

i made my outer stringers a little taller than the inners to direct water for drainage. bevel cut...not exactly, rounding the corners lets the glass wrap more easily. fiberglass doesn't like 90 degree corners.

a good reference, there are many ways to do this, is to run a string from front to back to keep the same lines. don't stress too much. you can do better than the factory. you don't have to reproduce everything they did. cutting some slits in the plywood will let it bend. glass/resin will fill it in.

sybrmike
01-20-2013, 01:13 PM
I cut my stringers all at the same level - figured there was enough rocking & listing underway and tilt once on the trailer for water to make it to the bilge. Tops of the stringers were flat across with ~1/2" radius on the top edges to help the glass lay over. I did roughly bevel the bottoms so that the gap with the hull was fairly uniform (+/- ~3/16"). I was generous with the bedding material and used popsicle stick shims to keep the stringers from contacting the hull.

I ran a string line bow to stern and marked along the string line every 12", used a square to mark each side of the hull at every 12" of length, then measured across the width of the hull at each pair of marks and noted the location of each outer and inner stringer (plus additional notes for engine mount locations, bulkheads, etc.). I can't find the paper, but ended up with a fairly detailed schematic of the layout.

I used plywood & was able to bend to shape. I did the outers first and had left a 3" lip of the old floor around the perimeter, so screwed 1x spacers to lip and stringer to locate while the bedding set and tabbed in a few places with glass. I then used 1x spacers screwed to the outers to locate the inners while they set. I used lead scuba weights and buckets of water set on top of the stringers to keep them pressed down.

If you're not going back with foam, I'd recommend cutting limber holes in the bottoms of each stringer for drainage and glassing the cut edges (plus a few inches around the opening) before setting in place.

Probably a better way, but worked for me - I'm sure you'll find the best method for your situation...

jasun
01-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Great info here. Thanks a lot! I had planned to bevel the bottoms of the stringers to take into account the angle of the hull. I am sure it doesnt have to be perfect perfect. I am guessing that each stringer should be symmetrical in dimesions even though my measurements tell me different. I like the Idea of running a string from bow to stern in order to give a general line for each stringer.

One more question... what did you use to grind off all of the old fiber glass? Do you remember what type of Disk it was?

Salty87
01-21-2013, 11:32 AM
flap discs...keep away from clothing & flesh!

http://i21.geccdn.net/site/images/n-picgroup/333_60440263501.jpg

they chew through wood and fiberglass. they work good for contouring stringers to shape. you do want to knock the corners off the bottom. you don't want wood in contact with the hull. they should float above the hull with bedding compound between the wood and the hull.

sybrmike
01-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Yep, 40 grit flapper discs & angle grinder (plus belt sander for that fine detail work :)) and gloves, long sleeves, respirator, hat, bandandas, safety glasses, shop vac, & ventilation - think burka type coverage. Gawd I itch just thinking about it again.

jasun
01-23-2013, 08:52 AM
I plan on getting a hazmat suit and going to town :cool: Please tell me that this is the worst part of the whole restore....

TitanTn
01-23-2013, 09:41 AM
I plan on getting a hazmat suit and going to town :cool: Please tell me that this is the worst part of the whole restore....

It definitely is. Going back with building new stuff is a lot more fun.

jasun
01-23-2013, 10:42 AM
that is a load off then... next week i will start this grueling process then.... I want to have it ready to bed the stingers when it starts to warm up some... that way I can take a week off and Glass them and work on getting the thing back together... I am getting excited about it! I am having a lot of fun so far!!!

jasun
01-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Another question... what do you use to coat the bildge area? is it Gelcoat or do you use some other type of sealant?

Salty87
01-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Another question... what do you use to coat the bildge area? is it Gelcoat or do you use some other type of sealant?

i used bilgekote but there are other ways to go. http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/diy/products/finishes/bilgekote.aspx

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/salty87/DSCF0107.jpg

sybrmike
01-25-2013, 10:50 AM
I used gelcoat, but I've heard of others using bilge paint, epoxy floor sealer, etc. with good results.

One other suggestion - if you're gonna leave it sitting for some time without the cap, floor, etc. you may want to run some cross braces across the top of the hull. Without the internal structure in place, the hull is very flimsy & you don't want things to shift too much. I had hell getting my top cap to shoebox back on since the hull had evidently splayed outward near the helm.

jasun
02-19-2013, 11:33 AM
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/0996ECE2-0288-4E0A-A00B-ACF094C4062F-2630-000001C75EA5E349_zps8776235e.jpg
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/0125DDDF-93CB-4951-8903-7B6A488DC93C-2630-000001C74BE8B06F_zpsa4402b44.jpg

I am getting there. Next question, how much PL Glue would I need to bed the new stringers? I am trying to price which is more cost effective, the PL Glue or the Thickened Poly.

jasun
03-12-2013, 11:09 PM
making progress.... grinding sucks.... lol

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/D583C645-00B5-4FFD-B2A8-611C5C151CC0-540-00000048F0CCCF98_zpsb3d7812f.jpg
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/A3B3A6F9-80CC-4D6A-89E6-C3FBB9CF99F8-540-00000048A98DFDA6_zpsa2808f7c.jpg
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/CAD0DE4A-B168-4E3E-85F4-94F6ADE38F48-540-00000048B41C3E8E_zpsbc73930a.jpg

TitanTn
03-13-2013, 12:54 PM
^^ That's a well-written synopsis of boat rebuilding.

angus2112
03-13-2013, 03:10 PM
i sand blast the inside it takes about 45 min. only takes the resin it leaves the mat strands so the the new resin binds. cleaner faster and i do not itch for 5 days

jasun
04-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Here is an update. I am ready to start bedding.

Thanks to Agnus2112 for all the advice!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.576276985727139.1073741826.100000345272132&type=1&l=ee28ca16ef
I am getting one step closer...

Salty87
04-01-2013, 01:57 PM
looking great.

do you have anything holding the port and starboard sides of the hull closer to each other? they want to bow out without support. getting the cap on can be a challenge if the floor is glassed in with a bowed hull. can introduce other problems, too.

jasun
04-01-2013, 02:27 PM
I do not. Is there a specific distance, or is it just bring it together some?
Angus2112 sent me these:
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/37878C64-3834-45D1-8E99-C2339EF01537-5489-0000046D6F9530BA_zps34c9d09d.jpg
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/FA638822-F615-4B7B-BB69-08318D110EE7-5489-0000046D0AA3F7DA_zpsffc62300.jpg

Salty87
04-01-2013, 03:58 PM
^ that's a nice trick of you have those horizontal guide rails. my trailer doesn't.

i'm sure there's a technical answer to the exact distance but i don't know it. i used a 2x4 on each side stuck in the ground/grass (did my project parked on the grass) and the other end against the hull with a towel between to get a little traction. not a perfect solution.

you might measure the distance from side to side on your topcap and compare to the hull to see how much bow you have and go from there. getting the topcap back on is the first goal. i think keeping them even on each side is important so the hull doesn't end up with a twist in it.

sybrmike
04-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Looking great! I don't see any limber holes in the stringers, so I'm assuming you're going back with foam? Also, don't forget to drill your holes for the exhaust in the rear bulkheads. Take care of seal/fill/glass/etc. every nook, cranny, and opening in that awesome looking structure.

An update to consider - the later years did not extend the floor all the way to the transom so it stops just in front of the gas tank. This makes it easier to access the platform bolts, exhaust thru-hulls, etc. The gas tank just sits on top of the 4 stringers.

Okie Boarder
04-02-2013, 09:17 PM
also, has anyone made the center bildge go all the way to the front and skip building this back in???:

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/1474D3E4-BB79-49FF-9483-793CABEF7AF0-14256-00000E72567141C3.jpg

I did, but my original layout was a little different since mine is a Sunsport.

jasun
04-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Looking great! I don't see any limber holes in the stringers, so I'm assuming you're going back with foam? Also, don't forget to drill your holes for the exhaust in the rear bulkheads. Take care of seal/fill/glass/etc. every nook, cranny, and opening in that awesome looking structure.

An update to consider - the later years did not extend the floor all the way to the transom so it stops just in front of the gas tank. This makes it easier to access the platform bolts, exhaust thru-hulls, etc. The gas tank just sits on top of the 4 stringers.

thanks mike! not going with foam. I drilled small holes in all the stringer and ribs and epoxied in pvc pipe. Then when I do my fillets, i am going to cover them up and when it hardens, open them back up and then glass over them and again use a dremmel and open them back up. i did this in every low part of the ribs and every intesection.

I also really like the idea of the floor not going back the whole way. i think I am goign to go this route!

Salty87
04-02-2013, 10:40 PM

i didn't run the bilge to the front but i didn't bury hose in foam either. i kept a similar structure to reinforce the main stringers but instead built a shelf that directs any water into the main bilge while still allowing good airflow. sorry, no pics. imagine the same design that's about 4" shorter than the main stringers toward the bow and 6" shorter toward the stern.

wish i had stopped my floor short of the transom like michael suggested.

jasun
04-03-2013, 03:34 PM
I have been brain storming about how to put a perminant ballast in the front. if i wanted to make my own tank would i make a wood box and fiberglass the inside and outside of it? What would be the best way to have it sit in the front? Screwed into the stringers? Or would I be better off bedding a brace system to the bottom of the hull and then mounting this box to them?
would i run into any problems having this tank full and hitting any big waves?

Any thoughts?

Okie Boarder
04-03-2013, 08:19 PM
I would stay away from glassing in wood for a tank...chances are it will leak into the wood at some point as much as you would have water in it. If you want to do a tank up in there, get a plastic tank made or use something off the shelf if you can find something.

lively
04-03-2013, 10:08 PM
holy smokes .. hows your itches right about now ? lol get you some baby powder bubba .. your epidermis will thank you ... i like that you still at it !! good work and keep it up dont give up !!! and keep them pics comin

jasun
04-04-2013, 07:20 AM
Thanks Lively! I think the worst of the worst is over. I still have grinding to do around the floor, but it should be minimal compared to removing the stringers. The Port side actually came out really easy. Removing the stringers took like 15 min and the Grinding only took about 4 hours and it was a nice day so I pulled it outside. The suit was a definate must though!!

lively
04-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Thanks Lively! I think the worst of the worst is over. I still have grinding to do around the floor, but it should be minimal compared to removing the stringers. The Port side actually came out really easy. Removing the stringers took like 15 min and the Grinding only took about 4 hours and it was a nice day so I pulled it outside. The suit was a definate must though!!

man i mean to tell ya!! stick with it man .. looking good

jasun
04-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Got it bed today... What a mess!!! did the baggy method and Angus was right... I used a lot of thickened resin! letting it cure today and tonight and plan to get it there to fillet it this week and then fiberglass next weekend!

Moving right along!!

TitanTn
04-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Got it bed today... What a mess!!! did the baggy method and Angus was right... I used a lot of thickened resin! letting it cure today and tonight and plan to get it there to fillet it this week and then fiberglass next weekend!

Moving right along!!

Congrats! Of course you know it only really happened if we get to see pics...

jasun
04-08-2013, 10:21 PM
after a full day yesterday and 5 hours today, stringers are bed, filletts or whatever are done.... ready for fiber glass!!!

forgot to cut the holes the exhaust though.... guess that is why they make hole saws....
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps28097ea2.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps28097ea2.jpg.html)
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps7e0d1603.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps7e0d1603.jpg.html)
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps0f8b61a0.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps0f8b61a0.jpg.html)

TitanTn
04-09-2013, 12:59 AM
Looking great! Next time you post some pics, I'd like to see your limber holes. I liked your description of how you're handling it.

sybrmike
04-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Also, don't forget to drill your holes for the exhaust in the rear bulkheads.

Well, at least I tried. FWIW - I cut my holes oversized & really needed the room jockeying the pipes around so the hoses from the manifolds would fit. I used EPDM rubber weatherstripping to wedge in the gap afterward to keep them from rattling. Keep up the good looking work!

jasun
04-29-2013, 07:28 AM
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps9abbd19a.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps9abbd19a.jpg.html)

Got the floor dry fit... now the to do list:

Recut my stringer drain holes
Cut my exhaust holes (Go ahead and say it Mike....)
Glass the bottom sides of the floor
Get the pylon where I want it (going to use backing plates and bolts instead of lag screws)
Set the floor
Paint the bilge
lay the carpet

It is getting there....

jasun
05-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Got my drain holes started. Going to use peanut butter to seal around them:
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps8c14e4f2.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps8c14e4f2.jpg.html)

TitanTn
05-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Progress! Looking good!

jasun
05-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Got the exhaust Holes all drilled out:
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsb75445d2.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsb75445d2.jpg.html)

And the bottom of the floor glassed:
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps5fe0cd05.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps5fe0cd05.jpg.html)

Salty87
05-09-2013, 12:55 PM
looking great...that's serious hole saw!

love the rolls of glass hanging on the wall. i had to use the deck on my house and often ended up with grass and crap in the glass...extra reinforcement, lol.

are your exhaust pipes high enough where they enter the engine compartment? need to have room to get hose & clamps on. someone got bit by that problem, did you see that thread?

jasun
05-09-2013, 02:42 PM
That hole saw worked well enough... Kept wanting to bind and I think i almost broke my wrist 2 times, but it got the job done!

the port side exhaust hole i cut lower then the starboard side. That is why you can't see it in the pic. I think there will be enough clearance though to lift them up ... I am not sure I saw the thread you mention, but I saw the one where they came in too high and could not get the bend....

wotan2525
05-09-2013, 04:21 PM
You're going to paint that bilge.... right?? ;)

jasun
05-09-2013, 04:25 PM
You're going to paint that bilge.... right?? ;)

Im allowed to do that?? :o

I am using gel coat with color. Going to go with a light gray. going to set the outter floor in first and then paint the whole thing and then set my middle floor in.

jasun
05-12-2013, 10:02 PM
got the pylon brackets mounted Used some AL plate and threaded it and then used some 5200 on it.

Set the floor and got it glassed
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps8ea382a0.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps8ea382a0.jpg.html)

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps778e2347.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps778e2347.jpg.html)

Sirgonz
05-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Man that's a LOT of work.... but you will have a GREAT boat when your done and you will know it inside and out!

jasun
05-13-2013, 06:59 AM
Man that's a LOT of work.... but you will have a GREAT boat when your done and you will know it inside and out!

Thats the thought that keeps me going!

lively
05-13-2013, 11:41 PM
dont you just love the smell of poly ? lol jeeze it just like yesterday i was doing the same thing ... looks sharp and are you going to seal the whole deck or just leave accessible ? any foam going back in ?

jasun
05-14-2013, 07:29 AM
dont you just love the smell of poly ? lol jeeze it just like yesterday i was doing the same thing ... looks sharp and are you going to seal the whole deck or just leave accessible ? any foam going back in ?

I leave my "glassing" clothes in the garage... they smell so bad! I am planning to leave the back accessable and i will probably seal up the front. my time line is getting shot full of holes so I am going to paint the bilge area under the engine tomorrow and put it in this Sat. then finish the floor.
No foam... the thought of touching foam ever again gives me nightmares....

Salty87
05-14-2013, 08:29 AM
lookin good. i like that you left the floor open by the transom.

you're getting really close. once the glass work is done progress happens in big chunks.

jasun
05-15-2013, 09:45 PM
I swear it isnt blue.....
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps85bd4af3.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps85bd4af3.jpg.html)

sybrmike
05-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Don't sweat it - mine actually did tun out seafoam green, but it's rarely seen. I like how you left the exhaust openings oversized - it'll make connecting the hoses that much easier. I did similar & used some EPDM weatherstripping around the pipes in my openings to keep things from rattling. Looks great & things should really start coming together for you now.

jasun
05-16-2013, 09:00 AM
See, Its Gray!

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsef7051b0.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsef7051b0.jpg.html)

wotan2525
05-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Starting to really come together!

jasun
06-09-2013, 10:18 PM
Ok, so here is an update... got the engine back in and could not get it lined up...
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsd9201b7c.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsd9201b7c.jpg.html)
ran out of travel to go down on the front mounts and when I raised the rear, it was too high.... so had to pull the motor again. I used a friends fork lift to pull it the first time and put it back in and since I didn't want to hassle with that again, I built this:
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps82cc5bd1.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps82cc5bd1.jpg.html)

I figured my redneck garage door wasn't quite red neck enough so now I have this beast in my yard too....

jasun
06-09-2013, 10:21 PM
with a come-along I got the engine pulled and on a trailer
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsf6252adb.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsf6252adb.jpg.html)
so after I got it pulled, it was time to grind some of MY work.... :(
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps5d73673f.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps5d73673f.jpg.html)
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsb997abc8.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsb997abc8.jpg.html)

jasun
06-09-2013, 10:22 PM
I also thought about the drain pan bottoming out and remember reading some of the horror stories and decided to make a little extra room for it:

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsc8564b34.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsc8564b34.jpg.html)

after re-glassing and gelcoating, got the engine mounted and lined up! (no pic of that, sorry)
and I am glad I planned ahead for the drain plug:

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps6d5bd218.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps6d5bd218.jpg.html)

jasun
06-09-2013, 10:26 PM
and one last thing, I glassed in the middle section of floor in the front and had some extra LED lights laying around so just for fun, I now I have a lighted bilge and plan to hook it into the interior light switch...

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps1c047d2b.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps1c047d2b.jpg.html)

so now I need to carpet and I should be ready to put the cap on.

jasun
06-09-2013, 10:27 PM
a couple quick questions, when I took it all apart, there was only 3" flex hose going to the vents in the cap to the bilge, but no blowers. are those just vents? I am going to cut holes for them, but don't remember there being any blower up front....

also, there was only one blower and it was mounted to the port side under the rear seat... where was the factory locations for the 2 blowers?

sybrmike
06-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Nice progress & great call on the drain plug clearance. The front fresh air intake hoses don't have a blower - just need to route the hoses from the vents to forward in the bilge. I think up through ~88, the blower(s) was mounted under a rear seat. Here are my new blowers reinstalled in the factory location.

Salty87
06-09-2013, 10:48 PM
party bilge, great idea.

there are no blowers in the front. the rear blowers pull air in from front when they push it out the stern. my '87 only had 1 blower where yours was. lots of other guys have 2 but 1 seems to work fine.

sheesh michael...your gas tank is probably cleaner than my kitchen floor (i hope mrs. salty doesn't see this). you've got support for your ski eye whereas the 87 and probably 86 had some weird ass circulation box...
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/salty87/overhead.jpg

TitanTn
06-09-2013, 10:53 PM
I'm not sure about the two factory blower locations, but the hoses coming from the cap route air from the vents just below the windshield, down into the bilge, under the engine and out the back through more hoses attached to the transom. I'm fairly sure mine only had one blower. I have 4 rear vents and three are dedicated to the air flow coming from the from vents. One is attached to the bilge blower.

jasun
06-10-2013, 06:55 AM
you've got support for your ski eye whereas the 87 and probably 86 had some weird ass circulation box...
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a10/salty87/overhead.jpg

You are correct! There is a fiberglass wedge looking thing that attaches to the transom that has all the hose in it.

I am going to be laying carpet this week, or that is the plan... Any big tips to help with that? what is the best way to seam 2 pieces together?

TitanTn
06-10-2013, 08:02 AM
Do you have to seam it? You should be able to get carpet wide enough that there isn't a need for a seam.

jasun
06-10-2013, 08:16 AM
I bought carpet from the place in Georgia so it should be wide enough.
I was thinking about starting on one side and working my way across. Cutting the hole for the engine as I go. Or... Do i measure it out and precut my engine hole??

Salty87
06-10-2013, 09:13 AM
cut the engine compartment opening once you've laid the carpet and have it centered....before glueing.

if you can, lay it out bow to stern. then roll half to the other end of the boat. lay the glue on half of the boat and roll the carpet back down. when that's done switch to the other end.

jasun
06-10-2013, 01:13 PM
only issue I have is that the engine is in the boat... So i cant lay it flat...

Another questions on the exhaust, do you use 5200 or RTV where the pipe meets the fitting that you screw to the hull??

Salty87
06-10-2013, 01:30 PM
gotcha...in that case i'd start in the middle with engine cutout and work toward the bow (have a ladder waiting so you don't get 'painted into a corner'). then go back to engine and work carpet to the stern.

i used 4200 to seal the exhaust. it's rated for below the waterline.

Jetlink
06-10-2013, 02:04 PM
I also used 4200 for my exhaust below the waterline.

Ski Supreme
06-11-2013, 12:02 AM
Nice job. I hope I never have to do that build. WOW my head is still spinning.

jasun
06-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Well the carpet is laid!
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps6ddb3849.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps6ddb3849.jpg.html)

Okie Boarder
06-13-2013, 06:03 PM
You're making great progress...just got a chance to catch up on this thread.

villain
06-13-2013, 11:10 PM
looks good man! i love the smell and feel of fresh new carpet laid in a boat. its even a better feeling when you do it with no help!

jasun
06-14-2013, 07:14 AM
looks good man! i love the smell and feel of fresh new carpet laid in a boat. its even a better feeling when you do it with no help!

my daughter and I went out there last night and walked in it with no shoes on! lol
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/null_zps1aee3444.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/null_zps1aee3444.jpg.html)

villain
06-14-2013, 07:54 AM
thats awesome! when i put new carpet in our current boat my son and I did the same thing. i actually think he took a nap as i was browsing for parts on the laptop in it!

TitanTn
06-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Looking great! I may have just missed this part, but why are you missing a manifold?

Jetlink
06-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Looking great! I may have just missed this part, but why are you missing a manifold?

Just so you could ask this very question.

jasun
06-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Just so you could ask this very question.

lol

the manifold had been cracked and brazed before. It had a pinhole leak so I took it off to have it fixed and have not got it back yet. Good observation!

angus2112
06-14-2013, 10:32 AM
jeff go to the big box store and they sell rolls of plastic to go over the carpet it saves it while you are finishing it

jasun
06-14-2013, 01:58 PM
jeff go to the big box store and they sell rolls of plastic to go over the carpet it saves it while you are finishing it

Good Call Mark!!!

Jetlink
06-14-2013, 10:57 PM
Did you wake up suddenly and hit your head on the underside of the helm too?

villain
06-14-2013, 11:23 PM

+1 definitely worth the $20 or so. nothing worse than having new carpet with a stain on it cause you spilled something while finishing the rest of the boat.

jasun
06-16-2013, 10:29 PM
GOT THE CAP ON TODAY!!!!!
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps406d8509.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps406d8509.jpg.html)
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps69c1953c.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps69c1953c.jpg.html)
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsae2e5456.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsae2e5456.jpg.html)

jasun
06-16-2013, 10:31 PM
Well, you cant see it in the pic, but the Pathfinder is on an down hill so the nose of the boat is waaay down and the back is way up so we didn't have enough clearance:
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps7774b18e.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps7774b18e.jpg.html)

so we flipped the hitch over (normally a 5 1/4" drop, now a 5 1/4" lift to drop the back.
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsfa65235f.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsfa65235f.jpg.html)

now we had lots of room!
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps6a5f41fc.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps6a5f41fc.jpg.html)

jasun
06-16-2013, 10:33 PM
had the neighbor help a little:
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsb12dc889.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsb12dc889.jpg.html)
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps2c04ef13.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps2c04ef13.jpg.html)

not as bad as it looks:

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps95d77b6f.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps95d77b6f.jpg.html)

jasun
06-16-2013, 10:35 PM
lowered it down ass end first:
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps2e5ff1e7.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps2e5ff1e7.jpg.html)

fit pretty good:
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps7ad8eef1.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps7ad8eef1.jpg.html)

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps18e4669a.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps18e4669a.jpg.html)

jasun
06-16-2013, 10:37 PM
I did have to trim some of the cap off at the bottom on the inside... I had a goal on the floor that if I was going to miss, I wanted to miss low... well, I think I missed High.... didn't want to cut it, but it worked just fine!

got it covered up... I kinda felt bad leaving it sit outside though.... :(

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsfd387032.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsfd387032.jpg.html)

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps9d76127b.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps9d76127b.jpg.html)

jasun
06-16-2013, 10:38 PM
and just a few pics of my daughter helping me!

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsfee82c06.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsfee82c06.jpg.html)

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps828bc3e9.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps828bc3e9.jpg.html)

TitanTn
06-17-2013, 07:20 AM
Congratulations! I know it's a big milestone to get the cap back on. The photo series is great and I'm sure it will help others in the future who have questions about how this is done.

villain
06-17-2013, 08:30 AM
congrats!! now it will start to come together quickly. you will be on the water before you know it!

Salty87
06-17-2013, 09:33 AM
that's great! you're so close to being done.

I did have to trim some of the cap off at the bottom on the inside...

same here. makes no difference at all.

jasun
06-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Thanks! I got the steering all but installed yesterday. I need a new Steering wheel... Got almost all wireing routed. I am waiting on my Manifold to come back. and I will be set!

I do need some help though. I took pictures when I unhooked the throttle and shifting cables, but cannot find them.

Does anyone have or can someone take a pic of both where the cables connect to the tranmission and Engine?

Thanks!!!

TitanTn
06-18-2013, 10:42 AM
It's not real clear, but you can see the transmission cable in this pic.

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/rear_bilge.jpg

angus2112
06-18-2013, 04:17 PM
steering wheel i thinking chrome chain low rider :)

jasun
06-18-2013, 04:43 PM
steering wheel i thinking chrome chain low rider :)

Mark, weld me up one and ill get the skull head shifter and foot print gas pedal.... Lol

Okie Boarder
06-18-2013, 05:58 PM
Looking good...I agree on the photo series on installing the cap. That will be helpful to others, for sure.

jasun
06-19-2013, 10:25 PM
I posted these in the June Pic thread, but wanted them here too...
My dad bought a boat when I was 4 and I still have it.

I bought the Supra when Reggie was 3 and I want to her to someday to want to have it. She wanted to help me with it and nothing could have made me happier :)

So I let her help me change the plugs tonight

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsea6e88bb.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsea6e88bb.jpg.html)

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps41b163ca.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps41b163ca.jpg.html)

jasun
06-19-2013, 10:25 PM
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsebde4ba8.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsebde4ba8.jpg.html)

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps8b959dcf.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps8b959dcf.jpg.html)

TitanTn
06-19-2013, 10:46 PM
Awesome! I love it. I've had both my kids helping me during all my boat work and while sometimes they'd rather be doing something else, they are excited about all they're learning. It's great memories that we'll never forget.

Okie Boarder
06-20-2013, 11:24 AM
Very cool. Getting the kids involved makes a big difference. Our boys hepled some during the rebuild and help on maintenance from time to time.

jasun
06-23-2013, 09:40 PM
got eveything i need to get hooked up hooked up to get it fired up. Took about 1/2 a pint of gas to get it going, but finally got the fuel pump and lines primed and she fired right up. had to do a little adjustment on the throttle cable to get the idle down, but it ran good for about 10 min on the hose. What is everyone's normal operating temp?

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/th_C348950B-4101-4AEF-9930-3C2422B3C029-4970-0000045E68BF97EE_zpsa07579cc.jpg (http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/C348950B-4101-4AEF-9930-3C2422B3C029-4970-0000045E68BF97EE_zpsa07579cc.mp4)

Jetlink
06-23-2013, 09:42 PM
About 140-150 idle on the hose.

jasun
06-23-2013, 09:53 PM
Well when I bought the boat, the Starboard side manifold had a crack that had been repaired... it was dripping so I took it to a guy to have it fixed and he re-brazed it but it still had a small leak.... when i took it back to him to see about fixing again, he called and said it cracked even worse when they were heating it...
So i ordered a new on at abotu 2pm on Tuesday from Skidim and it was to me by noon on friday

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps543ad2ef.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps543ad2ef.jpg.html)

Got it all installed and all the hoses hooked up

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps0d8cc433.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps0d8cc433.jpg.html)

jasun
06-23-2013, 09:56 PM
About 140-150 idle on the hose.

in the 5 - 10 min it was running it was up to about 125 degrees.... the new manifold started to smoke and scared the crap out of me.... i killed the engine and look at it.... i wrote it off to the "new" burning off the manifold...

Jetlink
06-23-2013, 10:08 PM
You should be good to go man, get a laser temp sensor if you're worried.

TitanTn
06-24-2013, 07:18 AM
Yeah, it takes a long time to warm up on the hose, and I would suspect your smoking is burning off the new. I repainted and put new exhaust gaskets on mine last year and they did a little smoking for about 10 minutes before everything settled down.

Congrats on getting it running. The video didn't show much water coming out the exhaust. Was it just starting to cycle it through at that point? Do you feel like enough water is going through?

jasun
06-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Do you think it could be that it was all spraying out? I had the boat about 15' away from my building and after I killed it, i looked, and I had water laying on the floor of the building...

When I hook up the hose with the engine off, should water make its way through everything and be pouring out of the pipes?

TitanTn
06-24-2013, 08:22 AM
When I hook up the hose with the engine off, should water make its way through everything and be pouring out of the pipes?

Good question, and I've never left mine connected long enough without the engine running to see, but I think it would take a good while to pump it through and I tend to think it wouldn't ever happen with a fake-a-lake. You lose too much at the pick up. If you connected with a hose directly into your water intake, then yes, I think it would eventually come out the back.

Do you know the condition of your impeller and the circulating pump on the engine?

jasun
06-24-2013, 08:25 AM
I had the hose at the intake and it has a ball valve that closes it off from the pickup.
I did notice that it was sucking water though the filter though and hose wasnt keeping up real good.
Do you know the impeller number off the top of your head? I do not know the condition of the impeller... It would be cheap PM to replace it.

Jetlink
06-24-2013, 09:35 AM
If I understand your question correctly...the answer is no. You should not see any water coming out of the exhaust without the engine running no matter how long you leave the water on. If you have water dribble out after you have run it and shut it down that is fine because that is water that was introduced into the system by the circulation system of the raw water pump which only runs when the engine runs. Replace your impeller if you didn't already as it seems kind of stupid to not spend the money in the part after all this time on the rebuild.

jasun
06-24-2013, 09:42 AM
good answer! I didnt see water running out and didnt know if something was plugged up or not. I am going to call Skidim today and order one.

Thanks for you help guys!!

TitanTn
06-24-2013, 01:20 PM
The impeller is a Sherwood 10615. And I only know that off the top of my head because I blew mine to smithereens this weekend.

I'm not disagreeing Ben, just asking, but why wouldn't the water eventually run out the exhaust? It bypasses the circulation pump when the thermostat is closed, so doesn't it just dump through the exhaust manifolds until the system opens? It would take a while to get through the impeller housing and up the hoses to the t-stat housing, fill the manifolds, etc, but it seems like it should eventually flow out (again, if you aren't using a fake-a-lake).

jasun
06-27-2013, 08:28 AM
Got my new impeller and changed it out. It looks smaller then the one in there, but I figure the guys are Skidim know wth they are talking about. I also changed the belts while i was at that point. I had ordered some PCM ones from Skidim and let me say, they were a lot beefier then the napa belts that were on there.

And to end the debate, water did come out of the pipes when it was hooked to the hose without running the engine...

Fired it up on the hose and gas can again and she purred.... I am very excited to get it in the water and plan to get it in tonight to check all my thru hull fittings... if all goes well then it will be time to put the interior in!

I also just for fun took some 800 grit to a small part of the top.....
I know it doesnt look like much, but it was enough to get me excited about doing the whole process and the whole boat to make it shine!!!
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps96147096.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps96147096.jpg.html)

Also, the rear light does not work so I tried to check the bulb... Need some help here as I didnt feel like breaking it... how the heck do you get the light out?

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps015ff249.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps015ff249.jpg.html)

TitanTn
06-27-2013, 08:39 AM
Congrats on all fronts! It's nice to see progress.

You're 90% there with that light. You have the screws out, so the metal cover should just pop off. You might have to encourage it with a screwdriver or something, but there really isn't a trick to it. It's likely just stuck from sitting there for 27 years!

jasun
06-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Congrats on all fronts! It's nice to see progress.

You're 90% there with that light. You have the screws out, so the metal cover should just pop off. You might have to encourage it with a screwdriver or something, but there really isn't a trick to it. It's likely just stuck from sitting there for 27 years!

Thanks!

The metal ring did come off and what you see in the picture is like a rubber piece with tabs on the top and bottoms of it. does it just pull out?

"sitting there for 27 years!"....

I had almost forgot how old the boat was till you said that... I am excited for the wetsand and new decals. want it to look like new!

chris young
06-27-2013, 09:28 AM
I'm not disagreeing Ben, just asking, but why wouldn't the water eventually run out the exhaust?

The raw water pump is your stopping point when it's not turning. Water going through the system without the pump turning means that it's getting through the pump and it shouldn't. That would indicate it's time for at minimum a new impeller.

Jetlink
06-27-2013, 09:38 AM
The raw water pump is your stopping point when it's not turning. Water going through the system without the pump turning means that it's getting through the pump and it shouldn't. That would indicate it's time for at minimum a new impeller.

This is spot on... Any water that came or comes dribbling out should be water that was previously introduced when the engine was running and therefore the raw water pump was circulating water. If your hose is able to supply enough pressure to push water through an impeller that is stopped you got problems.

Clear as mud?

jasun
06-27-2013, 09:40 AM
I just changed the impeller! nothing came through with the old one... hmmmm.....

when i started it up, there was lots of water still falling out of the exhaust.... It didnt collapse the hose or anything, but it didn't look like it was starving for water either.

***** but there is water pressure pushing it along on the hose... I wonder if it has enought to suck up water

jasun
06-27-2013, 09:43 AM
That would indicate it's time for at minimum a new impeller.

Other then a new impeller, what else would it need?

TitanTn
06-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Thanks!

The metal ring did come off and what you see in the picture is like a rubber piece with tabs on the top and bottoms of it. does it just pull out?

Yes, it should just pull off.

This is true only if one of the vanes stopped between the water inlet and exit. The distance between the inlet and exit is extremely small (at least in my pump) and it's conceivable to me that while water typically gets pushed throughout the pump housing when the engine is running, that just water flow could enter the pump and immediately flow out the exit without flowing through the pump housing. But generally I agree that the impeller should stop the flow.

cadunkle
06-27-2013, 10:12 AM
On the impeller being smaller... On my '89 Saltare PCM 454 I use this impeller kit: http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP061017. The impeller and oring fit but the gasket for wear plate to front cover is wrong. Mine is a 3 hole Sherwood pump and that is a 4 hole gasket. I assume the impeller is correct as it fits fine and was the same as what came out the first time I changed it. Is anyone using a different impeller kit for a PCM 454 with 3 hole Sherwood pump?

The other piece you need to order is the wear plate for the front of the pump. Mine shows wear you can see and feel so I ordered a new one that I hope is correct. With hose connected and on I get a small trickle of water out the exhaust so the wear plate is allowing some water to bypass the pump, though it cools just fine and never gets above 160*. I'll be changing the wear plate when it comes in though.

jasun
06-27-2013, 10:19 AM
I called Skidim and told them what I had and they sent me the kit, but all it had was impeller and o ring... no gasket for the wear plate....

The one i pulled out just looks a little smaller then the one in there. They are not the same, but the one i pulled out is a sherwood impeller. I will look when I get home tonight.

wotan2525
06-27-2013, 10:22 AM
My boat would always have water come out the exhaust when the hose was turned on -- even if the engine was off.

Last year, I rebuilt the water pump and it's now MUCH tighter. I wonder if the hose would have enough pressure to push past the impeller now.

jasun
06-27-2013, 12:35 PM
I went home at lunch to look at the impellers...
I tried to run it off just a bucket and it was not sucking up any water at all.

I took the water pump off with the impeller that I bought from Skidim and blew in one side and there was NO resistance.

So i took out the "new" impeller and compared them:

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsf644cfeb.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsf644cfeb.jpg.html)

The one of the left is the original one I took out to replace and the one of the right is the one I got in the following kit from Skidim yesterday:

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsb5c41b72.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsb5c41b72.jpg.html)
This kit did not include a gasket.

I wonder if at some point, someone didnt put a different pump on. I have the tag that has the model number and serial number but i cannot read it all so I sent Sherwood a helpdesk ticket (i couldnt find the phone number on their webside and the number on the tag doesnt work)
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps2f4bd184.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps2f4bd184.jpg.html)
In the time it took me type this out, I already got a reply from Sherwood saying that is the entire model number G55-2 (they just got Customer Service points in my book!!!)

I put the original impeller back in and blew and just a small amount of air came through. put it back on, and it sucked down a 5 gallon bucking in less then 2 mins. I am going to lake test it tonight and we will see how it works.

So my next step is to find the replacment impeller and I need to decide whether it needs rebuilt or not.

wotan2525
06-27-2013, 01:20 PM
Pretty sure you need Sherwood 10615K.

Here's a link to Amazon -- I've used this one on my G55-2 pump.

jasun
06-27-2013, 01:27 PM
Pretty sure you need Sherwood 10615K.

Here's a link to Amazon -- I've used this one on my G55-2 pump.

That is the one that came out of it!
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps89d59366.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps89d59366.jpg.html)

How difficult was your pump rebuild? I do not have a bearing press.. what are my options?

wotan2525
06-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Victory lap! See how that is stamped 10615. ;)

I don't have a bearing press either. I used a bench vice and a combination of various sockets/mallets/hammers. I didn't think it was very tough -- the exploded diagram makes it look tougher than it is. I put my mechanical ability at a medium (but I have rebuilt engines and transfer cases before.)

TitanTn
06-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Yo dudes! Look back to post #160 (https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?12067-Documenting-my-86-Saltare-Rebuild&p=96574#post96574) and you'll see we had the impeller model identified a while ago.

Jasun - what makes you think it needs a complete rebuild? I would think you'd want to see it perform with a new impeller before rebuilding the pump unless there's something I missed.

jasun
06-27-2013, 09:07 PM
lake tested it this after noon... the water pump didnt seem to work at first! then i tighted a hose and it worked just fine!! imagine my relief...

I had to redo the swim platform as it had a leak in the starboard side mounting bolt...

I came away from it with 2 questions...

One, when I have it in reverse, it has a teriible whining noise... Is this normal? Tranmission fluid it full. Forward works just fine without any noise.

and second, the shaft is leaking a steady stream... I am guessing I just to repack it?

I am getting down to it and want to get this issues resolved so I piece it all back together again so any help is always appreciated!!!

jasun
06-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Yo dudes! Look back to post #160 (https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?12067-Documenting-my-86-Saltare-Rebuild&p=96574#post96574) and you'll see we had the impeller model identified a while ago.

Jasun - what makes you think it needs a complete rebuild? I would think you'd want to see it perform with a new impeller before rebuilding the pump unless there's something I missed.

totally missed that! I call Skidim today and they said they sent me the right part, but PCM put the wrong one in the box. They sent the replacement out today!

TitanTn
06-27-2013, 10:00 PM
Maybe a slight whining noise, but not a terrible one. Something might be going on there.

The pack nut either needs to the tightened, or you need to repack the nut.

jasun
06-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Maybe a slight whining noise, but not a terrible one. Something might be going on there.

The pack nut either needs to the tightened, or you need to repack the nut.

it is maybe above slight?? I will video it next time to try to get some audio. I will not worry about it till then though.

I know I saw a thread around here, or maybe it was in the manual on how to tighten the nut. I will try that first!

Jetlink
06-28-2013, 12:32 AM
That whine is the boat because it hates backing up. It wants to go forward and go fast!

villain
06-28-2013, 08:14 AM
lookin good! have any pics of her on the water?

jasun
06-28-2013, 08:30 AM
i didnt get pics... :(

I am going to tighten the shaft nut and try again tonight. Ill see if I can get some pics up then... Im going to warn you though, she is not pretty yet... lol

jasun
06-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Success! Actually I did too much, and then had to loosen it so that it would drip. Also fixed both my leaks from the Swim deck. It is time to start putting the interior back inside!!!
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps8155184f.jpg

One of the big differences I noticed (and I don't think i have a good before picture of her on the water) but I am certain that the swim deck was 1/2 in the water before the rebuild. Now it is clearly above the water line!!!

2500HD
06-29-2013, 06:55 PM
ridin high and lookin good. My salt doesn't sit that high thats for sure.

jasun
06-30-2013, 07:53 AM
ridin high and lookin good. My salt doesn't sit that high thats for sure.

It is still without interior as well as I am running it off a 5 gallon gas can! It will sit lower once I put all that back in!

villain
06-30-2013, 11:46 PM
looks good!

jasun
07-01-2013, 08:27 AM
I know I have seen, but can't find the picture of the Gas Tank wireing... Anyone help me out?

jasun
07-01-2013, 08:29 AM
NM! Found it in Will's Rebuild thread...

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/tank_wires.jpg

Salty87
07-01-2013, 03:54 PM
did you ever do any sort of flush? i'm thinking of pulling my tank to fix leaking rudder once and for all. i want to clean the tank out some while it's out.

haugy
07-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Yeah, your Salt is looking good and riding high. That's your litmus test. :D See my signature pic? It's a little bit lower than yours in the water. But that's with almost 40 gallons of fuel in it. You should be about there when you're all done.

Glad to see it's coming together. i would definitely follow Salty's advice and flush your tank, thoroughly.

cadunkle
07-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Wow that sure is sitting high. I'm curious how it'll sit with full interior and full tank of gas. With a full tank of gas the bottom of my platform is almost touching the water, empty it's a good amount above the water. With just me in the boat when I go to get gas at idle the exhaust is loud, after filling it's quiet so 46 gallons of gas at the very back should make a significant difference in how it sits.

Supra_Comp
07-01-2013, 08:54 PM
NM! Found it in Will's Rebuild thread...

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/tank_wires.jpg

Lol I was thinking about this for my rebuild the other day after a couple beers...'crap!'

Boat looks great Jasun, cudos on the build!

jasun
07-02-2013, 08:42 AM
I found a pic on my old phone of it as well after I found the one on Will's thread.

Last night got the interior set in. last bit of carpet put on the floor, filled the gas tank (while gas was cheap....er)

Things I have left to do are:
Find a home for the batteries
Finish the rub rail (ran out of SS Screws)
Finish wiring the bilge pump
Finish routing the blower hose
Install the speakers and head unit
Install the trim pieces
tighten the bolts on the Ski Pylon
I am sure there are other things i will find as well.....

Here are a couple pics:
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsd9d21c84.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsd9d21c84.jpg.html)
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps98ebe1c9.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps98ebe1c9.jpg.html)

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsc4ce6fef.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsc4ce6fef.jpg.html)

TitanTn
07-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Ouch on that gas. Our gas is slightly cheaper down here, plus I always fill up after every run so it doesn't hurt so much at once. The boat is looking great though. You're making quick progress now.

jasun
07-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Ouch on that gas. Our gas is slightly cheaper down here, plus I always fill up after every run so it doesn't hurt so much at once. The boat is looking great though. You're making quick progress now.

Do you always use Super??

TitanTn
07-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Do you always use Super??

I never use super or mid-grade. Those didn't exist in the mid-to-late 80s and my boat runs fine on regular.

jasun
07-02-2013, 11:01 AM
I never use super or mid-grade. Those didn't exist in the mid-to-late 80s and my boat runs fine on regular.

I like your thinking.... that will be the last tank of Super...

Supra_Comp
07-02-2013, 11:28 AM

You guys are lucky you don't live up here. We are paying $1.28CAD/L which roughly converts to $4.59USD/Gal.....for regular grade. For high test, your looking at $5.10USD/Gal.

Jetlink
07-02-2013, 12:51 PM

Had to fill up the in laws Cobalt the other week...50 gallon tank took 47.6 gallons. Of course it was filled at an on the water marina to the tune of $247.40!!!

jasun
07-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Had to fill up the in laws Cobalt the other week...50 gallon tank took 47.6 gallons. Of course it was filled at an on the water marina to the tune of $247.40!!!

That is still cheaper then our French Brother SDC77 pays! I think it costs him close to 300 to fill the Salt...

jasun
07-02-2013, 10:54 PM
got a lot done tonight... played with some LED's a little... used them more for light then anything...

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsa2942493.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zpsa2942493.jpg.html)
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps3db27f5f.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps3db27f5f.jpg.html)

my nephew was helping me the last couple days.

jasun
07-11-2013, 10:25 PM
got my led's hooked up tonight... it might not run right now, but it is looking better...
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/null_zps7f6c2dbd.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/null_zps7f6c2dbd.jpg.html)

jasun
07-12-2013, 07:18 AM
Why isn't it running?

Something (https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?15192-First-time-out-and-same-issues-as-last-year) is wrong that i cannot figure out....

I try to adjust that carb every way I can and it does not want to work... My new Carb will be here today!

Sdc77
07-12-2013, 11:41 AM
I never fill it ... too expansive hahaha ! As the boat sits in water, we go on it with 20L gas cans, here it's 1.48€/L (1.92USD/L) on unleaded 90 octane (that's the worst and cheapest we can get here, then we have 93 octane @ 1.55€/L ...)

jasun your boat looks sexy, I really like the seats color combo. What about your Inside leds, RGB ?
What's wrong with the carb ? Are you sure it doesn't run because of it ?