PDA

View Full Version : Are the 2 scags on the bottom necessary?

Scruffy Saltare
10-24-2012, 08:47 PM
I have a 1990 Saltare that is mostly used for boating rather than skiing. My understanding is the scags provide stability for skiing especially in the turns, the boat will not side slip. However when operating the boat in very tight confinement the agility of the boat is significantly compromised. While at an antique boat show of Chris Craft's, Century's, Riva's and Streblows all the boats exhibited a high degree of maneuverability, nearly pivoting in place. By removing the scags will the maneuverability of the saltare improve? May be not to the degree of the Woody's but better than it is today? Your thoughts

jasun
10-24-2012, 09:07 PM
I dont know for certain, but I would think they would have more effect at higher speeds as opposed to low speed Are you talking maneuverablilty at idle/slow speed or high speed?

Scruffy Saltare
10-24-2012, 10:07 PM
I believe the scags provide stability at high speed when pulling skiers but limit maneuverability at low/idle speed. Thus turning the boat at low speed requires much more area with scags. As opposed to a boat without scags at low speed that can almost pivot in place when maneuvering in tight docking areas.

cadunkle
10-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Skegs help to make an inboard turn on a dime and stick to the water at planing and higher speeds. At low speeds I wouldn't expect the skegs to have any significant effect on maneuvering around the docks. I would imagine there's not enough surface area to offer significant resistance. Personally my Saltare handles fine around the docks. I can spin it on a dime, basically rotating 360* in place. Without skegs the boat would be less stable in turns at speed and may tend to skip or sidestep in a turn on plane. What maneuvering deficiency are you hoping to correct or improve?

Jetlink
10-24-2012, 11:41 PM
What Cadunkle said, granted I have a comp but I have 3 skegs under my hull and I can turn it real nice at speed and I can also turn/pivot the boat in a circle about 5 feet longer than the boat. Confined spaces are a breeze actually.

86 century
10-25-2012, 12:43 AM
I had problems in tight spaces at first myself.

Then once I got the hang of it this inboard is easier to maneuver at low speed then anything else I have driven.

Like the guys said above she will turn in her own length.

docdrs
10-25-2012, 01:06 AM
As above, my boat with 3 fins can turn in its own length. Its just a matter of forward and reverse switching taking into account with the prop rotation effect.

haugy
10-25-2012, 08:50 AM
In short, yes, you need them.

sybrmike
10-25-2012, 10:25 AM
You need the skegs! Since inboards are not the best at directing thrust for turns (especially low speed), the skegs serve as a fulcrum (pivot point) for the rudder action to turn against. Low speed maneuvering an inboard just takes a little practice & patience. I'm assuming your Salt is a LH rotation prop, so the ass is gonna pull starboard in reverse no matter the rudder position.

Don't fight it. To turn on a dime at low speed (always counter clockwise) - turn the wheel full port, nudge the throttle just until the trans engages forward & boat starts to move, then back to neutral and into reverse (keep the steering wheel full locked to port) until the boat stops forward progress & the rear starts pulling, repeat as necessary. You don't want any throttle, just idle speed with the trans engaged either direction. With a little time, you'll be spinning like a ballerina in no time.

86 century
10-25-2012, 07:00 PM
I can just see one of these skipping across the water sideways like a jet ski.

Might be kinda fun till you catch a wake just wrong and flip over.

Scruffy Saltare
10-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Folks,
Thanks for your insight.

chris young
10-26-2012, 08:53 AM
I have a 1990 Saltare that is mostly used for boating rather than skiing Sacrilege! Get a SeaRay! Just kidding.

I remember a 17' "Ski Boat" (J craft style) a buddy had with a big outboard. Put 4 people in it, get it up on plane, then plan 20 minutes ahead for your turn;) And that was an outboard, I can't imagine how bad that would have been if it was an inboard.

Century63
10-28-2012, 03:55 PM
I know what Scruffy Saltare is referring to. I was with him at the Lake Geneva boat show. We discussed how the boats in the water were able to stop and start and remain straight in the water going forward or back. I know from experience that my Supra will always want to go right or left when power is added from neutral even at idle. Maybe this could be operator error but I do have an inboard with no skegs and it is not an issue. You are right that the boat seems to pivot at where the skegs are located which is a little different than just keeping the front straight with only the rudder and the movement of the transom. The skegs seem to add another dimension to steering. As for the Supra turning at high speeds it is a lot like the I/O. Takes a long time for it to go 180 degrees since I believe the skegs prevent it from not only flipping but pivoting. With my old inboard (no skegs) it wil turn on a dime by letting the back end come around. If you feel the need to do that maneuver with an oncoming wave you deserve to flip the boat. Just some insight based upon my experience with both boats.

wotan2525
10-28-2012, 04:31 PM
I can turn 180 degrees in my boat almost on a dime at slow speed. I can also spin it around 180 degrees and "slide" the back end around at high speeds. I've never driven another inboard that doesn't go back to one side or the other. Then again, I may not have ever driven one without skegs.