PDA

View Full Version : Mtc. and other questions on new boat

vintner
10-23-2005, 08:58 PM
I just picked up an 88 Mariah open bow with a 351PCM. This replaces an old American Skier (which my dad is taking up to the lodge we stay at in Ontario) which is a bit too small for my family. I am impressed with the engineering that I've seen so far. I do have a few questions. What is the rated HP on this boat? 240 or 270 or something else?
What is the factory prop size (I'm guessing 13 x 13 1" L)? Do I have to take the entire assembly off to replace the impeller? It looks like tensioning is done with a big screwdriver or small bar. Are the big plugs at the rear of the exhaust manifolds (1/2 inch drive) for draining? My American Skier had the Commander manifolds and there were just little plugs on the bottom rear of each. I'm sure I'll have more questions as time progresses. Thanks, Chris.

wpg89supra
10-23-2005, 11:47 PM
Hi Chris
If your 88 mariah is anything like my 20' open bow conbrio you'll love it. I picked mine up at the beginning of Sept in Texas, had it out a couple of times and is great. The 89 351 PCM has 240 HP and moves along at about 42 MPH, but I think the prop is 14" have to look closer to make sure.
Big plugs on back of the manifolds are for draining from what I've heard

OUI
10-29-2005, 10:15 AM
Yes you have to take the entire water pump to pull the empeller. 13x13 is standard but some guys are getting better preformance off a small diamater and larger pitch , ie 12x16. Check with Acme prop they'll dial you in on size and pitch.

OUI
10-29-2005, 10:17 AM
PS Yes, use a 1/2 inch drive to remove the drain plugs in the manifolds and tensioning is done with any large screwdriver or prybar.