PDA

View Full Version : 90 Conbrio Rebuild

HtxConbrio
10-28-2012, 10:13 AM
The weather has finally cooled off enough to start my winter rebuild. I will be tackling the stringers, flooring, rebuilding the 351 and adding a tower. I have gutted the interior and are ready to pull the motor. I have one big question about removing the motor. How have some of you that have tackled this project referenced where the motor mounts are attached to the stringers? I know I have some adjustment up, down and side to side. But where should I measure from to make sure I get them back in the right position along the length of the stringers. I was thinking about measuring from somewhere off of the stern of the boat. I will be posting pictures throughout this ordeal and appreciate all of your help ahead of time.

wotan2525
10-28-2012, 04:32 PM
I would take rough measurements off the stern and then measure off of the prop shaft coupler when you reinstall.

jet
10-30-2012, 10:43 AM
I measured from the back of the boat forward every 12" and marked them on paper for later use and for the engine I just used the wear marks on the shaft below the boat and set it where it was marked up and then backed the engine up until they mated.

HtxConbrio
11-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Well I finally got around to pulling the motor out yester day. I wish every motor removal was that easy. It took us probably 30 minutes to get the 351 out. Having access to an overhead crane is really nice. I forgot to pull out one of the motor mount screws but with a little pressure with the crane it came right out. I guess that is one benefit of having rotten stringers. The cap will be coming off next weekend and then the real wok starts. I will post some pics as soon as I can figure out how to from my iPhone. Any suggestions would be nice!

jet
11-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Yes, advice. DONT think your going to get it done quick or fast. YOU wont! Take your time and enjoy it. I burned myself out trying to get mine done fast and that added another 6-mo to finishing it. Im still at 60-70% done??