PDA

View Full Version : pre 1991 supra's

chevyluv
10-29-2012, 06:56 PM
I was wondering what people's opinions are on pre 1991 supra there is a1987 comp and a 1989 swell so before they went composite and no wood. If a person was to find one with a solid floor and always store it dry are they ok or will they always end up rotting

86 century
10-30-2012, 05:16 AM
They will last a long long time if well taken care of.

My '90 is still solid as far as I can find.

jasun
10-30-2012, 07:33 AM
If it was stored inside. If it was stored outside, how does the cover look. I bought an 86 saltare that seemed like the floor was solid but the cover was junk. Well the floor that was solid was one they laid ontop of the original because it was crap.

Another thing I have done before is if they say it was stored inside, look at a Google Sat Image and see if you can see the boat inside or outside...

haugy
10-30-2012, 09:54 AM
They can still in be good shape. But 9 out of 10 are not. It's very rare to find one truly in good shape that won't need new floors for a while. They are boats, people are in and out of them all day long dripping wet. If they were used, they got moisture in them somehow. It comes down to the diligence of the owner, and you should be able to see that in a heartbeat.

jet
10-30-2012, 10:18 AM
You have to look at these boats like rebuilding a old muscle car. Its better to start with a old pc of junk and work your way up than to start out with a nicely priced one and find out later it needs it anyway. Buy the cheapest one you can and do all the work yourself and when your done..its just like YOU wanted it rather than other way around. And you will know it from top to bottom.

crystal waters
10-30-2012, 11:35 AM
you can quickly tell if the previous owner took care of the boat or not.
Does it appear to be in primo condition or well worn.
Ask a lot of questions such as where/when /how it was used.
How was it moored and for how long each year
Does it have supertraps at the exhaust outlets---those seemed to be a major contributor to eventual stringer rot.

Where was it stored --indoors or outside
Did they dry it out after each use? etc etc
I have an 89 conbrio that has literally been babied since day one.
I knew the previous owner personally and he was even worse than I for babying the boat.
Today it is dry as a bone --no issues what so ever.
Take your time and do your homework.
If you determine the boat you have in mind has some costly issues then you need to consider is it worth the repair cost or not.
Boats are like cars------if not this one today you will always find a nicer one tomorrow!

chevyluv
11-01-2012, 02:16 PM
thanks for all the advice its appreciated.

ya im noticing more and more people just thrash there boats and don't take care of them.

Ive wanted a supra since i was 12 and my friends dad had a 1992 comp tsm6. never been able, my favorite boat hands down i think im gonna keep looking and look for a 1992 and newer all composite boat. i couldn't handle buying a thrashed boat it would just drive me crazy and i don't have the time to do a complete rebuild.

crystal waters
11-02-2012, 11:57 AM
you sound as if you walk the same path as I do! Don't have the time and couldn't stand to buy a thrashed boat!
If thrashed by what you can see imagine the beating it must have taken to get there that you cannot see!
If you got the time and money to buy and rebuild then awesome -----otherwise take your time and be diligent.
One thing I do notice is the vast majority of those who belong to this forum are from the east or mid east.
I am from British Columbia , Canada and there are many quality boats for sale out in the west both in the U S A and Canada if you are willing to do a road trip-----which to me is part of the fun!
Widen your search if having trouble finding anything to your liking locally!

DAFF
11-02-2012, 11:02 PM
I have had wooden stringer Supras most of my life. So long that I need to keep the Launch covered, stored inside and always put away dry. I have also vacuumed to bildge area out frequently too !!

Most of all invision something which is perfect for you and wait for it !!! Things will fall into your lap when the timing is right.

chris young
11-04-2012, 08:15 PM
supertraps? really?

I'm curious about this, my recent purchase(84 rider) seems to be solid around the motor mounts at least, the boat definitely does not look babied. Everything is faded, and the vinyl is cracking on the drivers seat, the rear bench has been hack recovered and the cover has definitely been outdoors a lot. It does not have supertrapps.

How do you think the supertrapps contribute to the rot?

chevyluv
11-04-2012, 08:50 PM
you sound as if you walk the same path as I do! Don't have the time and couldn't stand to buy a thrashed boat!
If thrashed by what you can see imagine the beating it must have taken to get there that you cannot see!
If you got the time and money to buy and rebuild then awesome -----otherwise take your time and be diligent.
One thing I do notice is the vast majority of those who belong to this forum are from the east or mid east.
I am from British Columbia , Canada and there are many quality boats for sale out in the west both in the U S A and Canada if you are willing to do a road trip-----which to me is part of the fun!
Widen your search if having trouble finding anything to your liking locally!

thanks ya im just going to wait and find a composite 1992 or newer boat

im from BC aswell

Jetlink
11-04-2012, 08:57 PM
The seal around the flange at the transom was prone to leaking. As a note, I swapped my supertrapps out this past spring for flappers, I had water drain out of the holes for the flange after I removed it.

crystal waters
11-05-2012, 12:32 PM
As you are from B C check into Wash, Oregon and Idaho as well.
ie Craiglist
Seen some apparently nice comps on there in recent months.
Do your due diligence once you lock into one!
A compression test is a must!
Believe there is a supra comp mid island for sale at present around 1996 vintage !

crystal waters
11-05-2012, 12:50 PM
what happened to the Bravura you were looking at ?
did you buy it/

chevyluv
11-05-2012, 02:51 PM
what happened to the Bravura you were looking at ?
did you buy it/

lots of scratches on the lower hull had been in salt a few times motor had been converted to a fresh water cooling system, had been stored outside for a year or more and unused wouldn't start when i was there and there were cracks in the bow from someone steping on it. and the windshield was missing and finding a replacement would be next to impossible, because he also no longer had the frame for it, the trailer didn't have a matching set of wheels on it, just lots of things that made me worry how it was taken care of.

crystal waters
11-05-2012, 07:03 PM
good call!!!!
I saw it on line and as soon as I saw the fresh water cooling and knowing the location of the boat I was curious as to whether or not it had been in the salt water.
Keep looking -- you will find a nicer one tomorrow
Any particular model you are looking for?

chevyluv
11-05-2012, 10:23 PM
good call!!!!
I saw it on line and as soon as I saw the fresh water cooling and knowing the location of the boat I was curious as to whether or not it had been in the salt water.
Keep looking -- you will find a nicer one tomorrow
Any particular model you are looking for?

I'm going to look for a Comp I really like how they look in the water

crystal waters
11-06-2012, 12:40 PM
don't know your budget but at first blush this appears to be a nice comp.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/boa/3322353688.html

chevyluv
11-06-2012, 01:18 PM
ya definitely a nice boat. do you rember where you saw the 1996 for sale ?

crystal waters
11-06-2012, 02:05 PM
sorry--this is it --thought I remembered it as a 96 !

chevyluv
11-06-2012, 02:36 PM
are you in the market for a supra as well or just like looking for the deals?

crystal waters
11-06-2012, 03:13 PM
No --- I love my 89 conbrio too much to sell and look elsewhere for another boat.
That said , I enjoy the chase and am always on the lookout and interested in whats out there and at what values.
Half the fun is the chase and often a road trip might be involved as well!
here is a few for you to peruse;

http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/3297847345.html

http://kpr.craigslist.org/boa/3292021596.html

http://spokane.craigslist.org/bod/3239247218.html

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=33389

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=33997

http://boats.oodle.com/supra/for-sale/?q=comp&oldq=supra+comp&inbs=1

http://boats.iboats.com/1997-supra-comp-ts6m-closed-bow/1257441.html

Jetlink
11-06-2012, 03:54 PM
That Spokane one is misleading I think. It says it's a 1997 however it has a classic windshield on it.

chevyluv
11-06-2012, 05:06 PM
if i could swing this one id be all over it i think im going to try and spend between 8000-12000 at the very top of my budget.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/3297847345.html

that is a seriously good looking boat though

crystal waters
11-06-2012, 05:37 PM
in 1997 Skiers Choice( supra) ran into some difficulties.
To stay alive they brought back the old style supra moulds and for that year generated a retro boat if you will.
All modern equipment for the year and I believe no wood in the stringers ( Haugy???? can you verify pls?)
If you want the old style look but the more modern running gear this could work for you?
good hunting!

crystal waters
11-06-2012, 05:38 PM
hey---economy is tough right now !!!!
you never know ---throw out your best shot and see if they accept it or not!

chevyluv
11-06-2012, 08:28 PM
I found a 1992 in Vernon for 9999 that looks pretty decent.
http://bc.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-1992-Supra-Comp-Ski-Boat-TS6M-excellent-shape-wakeboard-rack-W0QQAdIdZ414591244

What do you guys think

chris young
11-07-2012, 10:06 AM
My budget wasn't quite what yours is, so I ended up with something more beat up, but the market is super soft for boats right now. My boss is hoping to get $6000 for his late '80s twin 30' Regal cruiser! I'd throw an offer of 5000 at that one. The time to buy is perfect right now, Christmas is coming and if they're selling this late in the season it would say to me at least they really don't want to hold on to the boat over winter and wait until the prices firm up in the spring. It's always possible though that it's a seller who says "hey if I can get 10K for it what the hell, otherwise, 'sorry honey, I tried to sell it but there were no takers, I guess I'll have to keep it' "

crystal waters
11-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Interesting!
He is looking for offers so may be worth a visit.
Cosmetics can be easily cleaned or fixed.
Its the mechanics you need to watch---above all else make offer subject to compression test.
( I did that on a supra years ago discovered a cracked block so I passed!)
Long weekend upcoming --may be worth a road trip and a quick lake test. Still doable up here!

crystal waters
11-07-2012, 12:45 PM
boat trailer has an ALberta plate
The boat itself was originally registered in the "Portal " area of Saskatchewan ( you can tell by reg number on front side of hull)
If it were me I would ask a few questions as to how many owners, winterizing procedures in the past, how it was stored, where it was operated etc. Knowing it was from the cold winter area of our country I would definitely make it subject to mechanics check.
Ryan at Valley Marine in Vernon can help you out.
By the pics it looks like it might be a good find but you need to do your due diligence.

chevyluv
11-07-2012, 01:34 PM
thanks ya all the tips are needed.

i have been talking to the guy about it for the last few weeks.

they are originally from Alberta and moved to Vernon this year before the summer boat since they owened it has always been put into dry covered storage facility. It is currently winterized.

boat trailer has an ALberta plate
The boat itself was originally registered in the "Portal " area of Saskatchewan ( you can tell by reg number on front side of hull)
If it were me I would ask a few questions as to how many owners, winterizing procedures in the past, how it was stored, where it was operated etc. Knowing it was from the cold winter area of our country I would definitely make it subject to mechanics check.
Ryan at Valley Marine in Vernon can help you out.
By the pics it looks like it might be a good find but you need to do your due diligence.

chevyluv
11-08-2012, 02:15 PM
what do you guys think a fair offer is on this boat ? i was gonna offer him 7000.

i kinda want to get an idea of his bottom dolar before i drive 4 and a half hours to look at it. i know lots of people say they are open to offers then you get there and they are like ok il take 9990 haha.

im not crazy about the color i just like that it looks like it has actually been kept clean

it might even be stored at that valley marine i know it is stored somewhere that isnt at his house at a storage facility

crystal waters
11-09-2012, 01:07 PM
doesnt hurt to throw it out there re offer. The color can work to your advantage in this case as you "dont really care for it but "scenario exists for you.
Snowing on the Coq today --connector is treacherous--if on a road trip use the canyon or the Hope Princeton-both bare.
Valley roads are bare but snow is about 100 ft above the floor so if looking into this it is now or never!
good luck