PDA

View Full Version : Left her with Donny today

TitanTn
10-29-2012, 08:41 PM
I towed her up to Maryville and left her with Donny. He's going to wet sand and buff the topsides, sides, transom, and front V bottom back to about mid-ship. He's also going to repair some gelcoat scratches (gouges) near the bow roller location. He's going to have it for about 6 weeks since I'm not in a hurry and I told him to just work it in around his other stuff.

Speaking of which, I think my boat is the only TN boat there right now. He has several from Wisconsin and Texas. It's hard to believe that someone from Texas couldn't find a quality boat builder any closer. But it speaks well for Donny.

I'm pumped to see the outcome, but now I have 6 weeks to wait.

ckracing
10-29-2012, 10:27 PM
I give a big thumbs up to Donny Bennett. Quality workmanship - yes. Comfortable customer lounge - no.

TitanTn
10-30-2012, 07:50 AM
That's awesome! The ten foot rule won't apply anymore then? It already looked good, but knowing Donny's work it will sparkle for sure. -:)-

Not surprised yours is the only TN boat. Last time I was up there he had one from Texas as well. A local dealer in TX had attempted to repair the gelcoat with metalflake and had no clue how to do it. It was a horrible job and the owner pitched a big fit. Being under warranty, Mastercraft paid to have it shipped to Donny since even their guys at the factory were skeptical in the repair. I think that speaks volumes about Donny's work.

Yep, trying to do away with the 10' rule.

Actually one of the boats there right now is from an individual in Texas who towed it to Donny, left his tow vehicle there and flew back to Texas. He'll fly back and drive it home when it's done. Now that's some commitment to Donny.

I give a big thumbs up to Donny Bennett. Quality workmanship - yes. Comfortable customer lounge - no.

Amen to that! I was a little scared to sit in the chair in his office, but it held.

Jetlink
10-30-2012, 08:24 AM
I plan on leaving my Denali somewhere local when I drop the boat off, might talk to the maintenance guys at our hangar in Knoxville and see about leaving it there while I fly home, otherwise I might just drive it down to Atlanta and leave it at my buddies house so he can watch it.

jasonba1
10-30-2012, 08:33 AM
i live in knoxville if i can help anyone out let me know

TitanTn
10-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Well, apparently Donny is okay with you leaving it there also. The one from Texas is under a carport.

I'd be happy to offer storing it for you as well, but it wouldn't be under cover unless you're talking about next year when I have my barn built.

Jetlink
10-30-2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the offer Rob, the Denali isn't a garage queen. In fact it only really goes inside any building either at the hangar or at the lake and that one is tight, front bumper 5 inches from the wall, back bumper 7 inches from the door.

haugy
10-30-2012, 09:52 AM
I towed her up to Maryville and left her with Donny. He's going to wet sand and buff the topsides, sides, transom, and front V bottom back to about mid-ship. He's also going to repair some gelcoat scratches (gouges) near the bow roller location. He's going to have it for about 6 weeks since I'm not in a hurry and I told him to just work it in around his other stuff.

Mind me asking what he is charging you for that work? PM is fine if you want. Dude your boat already looked good. A fresh wetsand and some polish is going to make it insane.

Since Ngavdba never sent me any info on his stringer repair either, I'm just guessing on what Donny can do for me.

I plan on leaving my Denali somewhere local when I drop the boat off, might talk to the maintenance guys at our hangar in Knoxville and see about leaving it there while I fly home, otherwise I might just drive it down to Atlanta and leave it at my buddies house so he can watch it.

I got a giant parking area in front of my shop if you want it. Motion lights, security, dogs, and an owner armed to the teeth. Just make sure to leave the keys, and don't look at the odometer. 8)

TitanTn
10-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Mind me asking what he is charging you for that work? PM is fine if you want. Dude your boat already looked good. A fresh wetsand and some polish is going to make it insane.

Thanks Haugy. As Daniel was referencing, it looks pretty good from 10' feet away, but get any closer and you can tell the gel is a little tired. I mean it is almost 27 years old. I know there is a new, shiny life under there and I want a professional to bring it out. Plus, I'm having him fix a few gelcoat gouges that I don't want to fight with mixing gelcoat pigments.

I don't think Donny's pricing is a secret, so I'll somewhat answer that here. His rate is $80/hour and I think that goes for whatever he's doing. We discussed several different ways of attacking my gel, and I'm sure more severe cases would require a different approach than we're taking with mine. It just depends on what you want him to do. He's going to have between 20-26 hours in mine. And if it takes him less time, then that's all he charges. If it's more, then it's on him for under estimating. This is another reason for going to see him. He's good, but just as important, he's fair.

As a side note, he works on lots of brands, but it was a little heart-warming to see more Supras there than any other brand. He had two Comps already split and had a Saltare waiting to be split. He knows these boats, and it shows.

TitanTn
11-19-2012, 12:25 PM
I just got the call from Donny that he's done. I hope to go up tomorrow afternoon and bring her home. Pics to follow.

csuggs
11-19-2012, 12:32 PM
I just got the call from Donny that he's done. I hope to go up tomorrow afternoon and bring her home. Pics to follow.

Yaayy! I'm jealuous, wish I was closer so he could work on mine too. Just a couple scratches need filled and a good buff.

TitanTn
11-19-2012, 12:45 PM
Yaayy! I'm jealuous, wish I was closer so he could work on mine too. Just a couple scratches need filled and a good buff.

I understand, but hey, when I dropped mine off, it was the most local boat in his shop (and he's two hours from me). He had one from Texas, two from Wisconsin, etc. I know, you need to coordinate it with a Supra Reunion this summer!

TitanTn
11-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Yep. I knew he was good, but wow. I made it clear that he didn't need to rush cause I didn't need it back quick, and he was grateful to not have the pressure. But he didn't dilly-dally either.

I'll tell him you said hello.

TitanTn
11-20-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm driving back right now. There will definitely be pics tomorrow.

Jetlink
11-20-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm driving back right now. There will definitely be pics tomorrow.

Unacceptable, that is why camera phones were created... If you can post text to the forum, you can upload a picture. Besides, it's not like texting and driving with a big boat and trailer is a hazard.

Jetlink
11-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Spoiler alert from Rob for those that care and no Dan, Donny didn't paint it green...

TitanTn
11-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks for posting that Ben. I just got home. Pics to come tomorrow when the sun is up. I like what I'm seeing so far...

haugy
11-20-2012, 09:24 PM
What the hell did he do? Use radioactive wax? :D That's not a spoiler alert, that's just a cruel tease. PICS PICS PICS!!

TitanTn
11-20-2012, 11:27 PM
What the hell did he do? Use radioactive wax? :D That's not a spoiler alert, that's just a cruel tease. PICS PICS PICS!!

Yeah, waiting for good light. Maybe radioactive wax... maybe nuclear waste? I think he might have used this sander attached.

csuggs
11-21-2012, 08:48 AM
We're waiting . . . . .
:cool:

TitanTn
11-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Whew, I've never been under such pressure! I hope these satisfy the curiosity for now. The sun wasn't in the best location for pics, but it gives you an idea. I'm so glad to have her back in the basement so I can start my list of winter projects. One of which will be putting on several coats of wax!

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/wetsand/wetsand1.jpg

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/wetsand/wetsand2.jpg

He repaired several chips, gouges, etc from the bow area where the mostly the previous (but also the current) owner hit the bow stop.
http://unumemarketing.com/boat/wetsand/wetsand3.jpg

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/wetsand/wetsand4.jpg

TitanTn
11-21-2012, 12:16 PM
http://unumemarketing.com/boat/wetsand/wetsand5.jpg

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/wetsand/wetsand6.jpg

sybrmike
11-21-2012, 12:22 PM
No excuses for a 5 o'clock shadow on the water now - that's one heck of a shaving mirror. Looks great!

csuggs
11-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Swwweeeeeeeet! Are you going to add any decals?

supraaddict
11-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Wow, that looks incredible!!!

TitanTn
11-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks guys. I'm very happy with the results and Donny says it'll look even better after the wax, but I should wait two weeks before applying.

The reflections look good bouncing off your pickup. Very clear and shiny now waiting for wax. I recommend Collinite's fiberglass wax#925. I use #920 cleaner beforehand.
Don't scratch it putting it in that garage though. That is one tight fit. What other items are on your list?

If you want help with the teak rail, send it down to me and I'll take care of it for you. I feel like an expert after last spring.

Thanks Daniel. I appreciate the recommendation. Donny recommended Meguires Car Wax with Silicone, but I'm thinking there's got to be something a little more formulated for gelcoat.

Yeah, it's a tight fit into the basement. I'll only be able to wax one side while she's in there. But at least she's out of the weather. I'm hoping to start a barn build in the spring.

My other items include: a second bilge pump, a second battery and related isolators/switching equipment, a second lift arm for the ski locker, major cleaning, rebuilding/teaking the swim platform, a complete trailer rehab in the spring. Whew. I'm tired.

I'm definitely looking back to your teak thread (or maybe that in the garage thread?) for some tips. If I don't get the results I want, I might be coming to see you!

gogger
11-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Well I am glad I decided to have the Pirata wet sanded and polished. Titan I am sure you saw her sitting there with no shine at all.

haugy
11-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Wow, that looks so great man! I'm so jealous, I wish I still had all gelcoat on mine. Sooooo shiny on yours.

I'm definitely looking back to your teak thread (or maybe that in the garage thread?) for some tips. If I don't get the results I want, I might be coming to see you!

Definitely refer to it. I keep stalling/forgetting but I followed his instructions on my teak, and holy crap it's fantastic. I would definitely recommend sealing it like he (and I) did.

TitanTn
11-22-2012, 09:18 AM
Well I am glad I decided to have the Pirata wet sanded and polished. Titan I am sure you saw her sitting there with no shine at all.

Yes sir, I did. I was telling Donny that I knew you from the forum and that we're all keeping an eye on each other. I think he was a little impressed and scared at the same time. :)

Actually, it is under Modifications...Added another LED. I hijacked my own thread.

Seriously, if you don't want to do it or don't have the time, I actually enjoyed doing mine and would love to help you out if you so desired. I know your a DIY guy, but don't mind offering.
I have the Cetol and all the materials. No need to spend any more money than you need to, especially after reading that long list of yours.

That's very generous. We'll just have to see how things shape up. I forgot to include a led project, redesigning the bowstop, and designing some graphics down the side. So theres plenty to do. I'll connect with you when I get to the teak project and see what you have going on.

tg0824SSVGG
11-22-2012, 10:06 AM
it's not like texting and driving with a big boat and trailer is a hazard. '86 Comp TS6MYIKES - I do wanna see the pictures, but not THAT bad ..

gogger
11-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Yes sir, I did. I was telling Donny that I knew you from the forum and that we're all keeping an eye on each other. I think he was a little impressed and scared at the same time. :)

That's very generous. We'll just have to see how things shape up. I forgot to include a led project, redesigning the bowstop, and designing some graphics down the side. So theres plenty to do. I'll connect with you when I get to the teak project and see what you have going on.

I told him the same thing. He knew Daniel lol when I mentioned rudder.... He said something about driving to Marietta Georgia and installing one in a parking lot... lol

TitanTn
11-22-2012, 08:00 PM
YIKES - I do wanna see the pictures, but not THAT bad ..

My daughter was doing the texting as I drove. Plus, I drive really good with my knees...

Jetlink
11-22-2012, 08:06 PM
My daughter was doing the texting as I drove. Plus, I drive really good with my knees...

I fly really good with my knees too...I mean drive...yeah...

DAFF
11-23-2012, 12:41 AM
Looks like a new boat shine. Reminds me of how bad the Launch needs some love in the polishing department.

TitanTn
11-23-2012, 09:52 AM
It does sound funny when you state it that way. That was on him though. I told him I would bring it back up and he insisted that after two trips that it would be on his dime to make it right. So we met at the lake and exchanged rudders by the boat ramp. I think he knows what kind of recommendations I've put out there and what better way to keep the referrals coming than to drive down and fix it on the spot. Need I say more?

This is exactly why I mentioned the forum a lot to him. I wanted him to know that we all recognize great service and reward it. If someone does me wrong, I want other people to know it so they don't have to suffer the same fate. And the converse is true, if someone is providing great service, I want everyone to know because it's these guys that I want to excel.

gogger
11-23-2012, 08:42 PM
He never said a bad word about anyone, not sure how we got around to the rudder story. Since Daniel actually gave me Donny's number back when I first bought the Pirata, I mentioned that fact. And since I didn't know his name was Daniel I just described his boat, and Donny knew who I was talking about. We talked about the boat and eventually got to the rudder story. Wasn't told in a bad way and he never said a bad word.