PDA

View Full Version : Soft Floor

Dinoz
10-25-2005, 12:37 PM
Hopefully you guys can help. The floor around the pylon and bilge cover is getting soft. Has anyone had the same problem? How easy, or difficult of a fix? Or is it something I shouldn't be worried about?

Thanks!!

DZ.

Salty87
10-26-2005, 10:56 AM
mine flexes a little and has a bit of a sag in it. it's been like that for a long time.

unless yours is in danger of falling in or you're really picky, i'd leave it until you had to do something. i had to replace the exact same area but behind the engine and it wasn't technically difficult but a bit of a pain. that was a high traffic area that i had to fix and it was definitely broken, more than sagging.

you have a few choices but basically you're going to want to seal a piece of wood, wrap it in carpet, and make it fit good. it sounds easier than it is, not to mention you'll have to jack with the pylon and cut a hole for bilge pump access. you might have to get under the built-in cooler if you have one, too.

on the other hand, this wouldn't be that hard for a winter project.

IndyMatt
10-26-2005, 06:03 PM
How much of a tale is a soft floor in regard to possible problems with stringers?

Salty87
10-31-2005, 12:49 PM
if its only the section of floor that covers the bilge, no problem. otherwise, all bets are off.

Dinoz
10-31-2005, 06:02 PM
Hey Salty,

Is it just a matter of building supports under that area then? If that's the case, no worries then.

Thanks gents..

SupraSkier
11-21-2005, 09:18 PM
Hello,

I found a soft spot in my 91 supra (Port side rear) and after tearing up the carpet decided I had dry rot. The more I got into the project I discovered my stringers were rotton up past the engine box, and basically had to replace both stringers and all the floor boards. My advice to you is if you have a soft spot, get it taken care of early. Rot spreads and there is no way to get rid of it unless you cut it out. If it hasn't spread to your stringers you are lucky because the middle section of the floorboards are farely easy to replace. One way to check for rot is to take an ice pick or knife and stick it into the wood. If it is soft at all I would have it looked at.

Sorry for the negative post, but I spent $4000 repairing my boat and if I would have caught it earlier I could have saved myself a ton of money and a summer on the water.

Good luck, hope it is nothing.

Eric

compTS6M
01-09-2006, 02:15 PM
I've got an '85 Comp TS6M and my whole floor went rotten. I've taken out the first layer and now can see that all my stringers need replaced. What makes me nervious is the main stringers that support the motor mounts need replaced. Has anyone tryed to replace those and what technique did you use to keep the engine and shaft in alignment?

Thanks,

Chris

IndyMatt
01-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Chris,

If your going to put the effort and cost into replacing the stringers anyway.. your better off pulling the motor out (disconnect all electrical; throttle cable and transmission at the flanges). If your stringers really are bad, then most likely your alignment is off anyway, it may just not be enough to create vibration (yet). This way when you reinstall your sure your motor mounts are anchored properly and you avoid complications down the line. Its a little more work, but worth it now while you have everything torn apart.

For anyone else... has anyone looked into aluminum floors during replacement? What is the cost/ Labor compared to reusing wood? Seems it may be a worthwhile investment. The only downside is that you may have to seperate the hull to do the job correctly.

Brian Raymond
01-12-2006, 11:20 PM
Here are some previos posts.

home - memberlist - register - faq - search
You are here: Supra Boats > Supra Boats > Service & Repair > Factory Revamp
Factory Revamp
Next Oldest - Next Newest
Add to favorites - Email this topic - Print this Topic
gvarellj

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will the factory revamp older supras and what is the cost?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SupraNut

Take it directly to Donnie Bennett of Bennett's boat repair in Maryville, TN. Chances are the factory would send it to him anyway. I can personally attest to the quality of his work and the service he provides.

gvarellj

Thanks for the tip! I have a 92 Saltare and want to up date the compleat boat. Wiring, instruments, carpet, upholstry, graphics, etc.... What has Donnie done in the way of repairs for you and what was the cost?

Brian Raymond

Boat Boy

Donnies #, 865-982-9589. I can attest he does fantastic work, and is one of the best in the industry. I have had the opportunity to work with him in years past, and have learned much. He stays quite busy, call and check for appointment settings. Brian Raymond

azcummins

I sent mine back to Supra this winter and they did the work themselves (so I'm told). I was very happy with the work and the boat looks brand new.

It wouldn't surpise me if they sent the boat to someone else as Supra was REAL forward that the boat had to be dropped off the day the work is to begin and then the boat had to be picked up the day the work was done. They said they had to be so anal b/c they didn't have much room for boat storage which they didn't at the old factory. I think they have moved now so I don't know if things have changed. Supra also said they really only do refurbs over the winter when things slow down a bit.

Call Supra and ask for Anthony. He is the guy to talk to about this.

SupraNut

My guess is that they sent it to Donnie. He does not take appointments and works on a first come, first served basis. You may want to cut your season a little short and take it to him to beat the rush.

For me he replaced the entire floor, installed new carpet, repaired some gelcoat gouges and cracks and put on my four blade prop. His gelcoat repairs are astonishing! He takes great pride in his work and it shows.

gvarellj

Mind telling me what it cost? I have a 92 Saltare that was stolen and I got it back less the interior, dash panel, windshield and misc parts. I am trying to decide if I should rebuild or buy something else.

Add to favorites - Email this topic - Print this Topic
Next Oldest - Next Newest

Pages: [ 1 ]