PDA

View Full Version : How many blowers do you have

suprasam
11-13-2012, 11:06 AM
I am installing new blowers in my engine compartment this winter, I am thinking about buying two 4inch blowers. In my other boats that I have owned if I remember right, I remember having two blowers one on each side of compartment towards the back of the motors. Any thoughts and where are your blowers placed? You think there would be any issue with putting them both on the same fuse and switch? (im an idiot when it comes to electrical)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EX02DA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1DKSSRT9F2JECKWR523Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

wotan2525
11-13-2012, 11:46 AM
I've got 2 blowers on the same switch. Both are in the transom blowing out the transom vents. It's not the OEM setup, but it's what I was able to make work. If I did it again, I would put them on a relay because I do see a decent voltage drop at the dash when they kick on.

suprasam
11-13-2012, 01:50 PM
OK....as you read above I'm an idiot when it comes to electrical, what does a relay do for you? How would it help draw less than wiring straight to fuse panel then to switch? Thanks for the help.

wotan2525
11-13-2012, 03:22 PM
A relay is a hard concept until you wire one. Here's a basic run-down....

The relay has a switched positive, a battery positive, an accessory out positive and a ground. The switched+ runs to your dash-board switch and doesn't carry many amps (small wire.) The battery positive connects directly to your battery (fused) and is thicker as it will carry all of the load of the blowers. The ground is just grounded. The accessory positive connects to what you are trying to power (in this case the blowers.)

When the switched+ sends 12volts to the relay, the relay "closes" and connects the accessory directly to the battery. When you flip the dashboard switch off, the switched+ no longer has 12volts being sent to the relay, the relay "opens" and the accessory disconnects from the battery. Most relays are actually mechanical with a magnetic switch on the inside that literally opens and closes, but their are solid-state relays as well.

The point? One of these blowers probably draws 4-5amps (just a guess.) Running 10amps through a dashboard switch is probably OK, but with a relay you will be running <1amp through the dashboard switch and the 10amps through the relay. Anything with higher power requirements needs a relay (amplifiers have a built-in relay) but on cars, things like the headlights are run off of a relay.

Here's a picture.
http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/images/Schematic4.gif

So.... more confused or less? ;)

csuggs
11-13-2012, 10:48 PM
I have the single blower at the transom, but my panel has switches for two. I have purchased a 2nd blower that I am going to use to force fresh air into the bilge. Basically the fresh air will now be forced instead of just coming in the vents while driving.

suprasam
11-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Well my prior boats seemed to always have two(i think). So I was just going to do the same here, maybe one was to draw fresh air in like CSUGGS said but only guessing. My boat didn't have a blower at all last summer, and before I get reemed on reasons why I should of had one.....yes I know what the blower does and the importance of one. My dog house was always raised to make sure all vapors were out before starting everytime. I know about safety, this year in the off season I just know its time to add so I don't have to freakin raise an lower when starting. Yah I'm not adding the additional blower to vent the dog house because of heat....just venting for safety so maybe I will just use the 4inch big blower. Thanks for the opinions ladies, now time to buy.

csuggs
11-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Suprasam - glad you were able to make a decision. Yes, the primary purpose for the exhaust blower is to vent the gas vapors, not so much heat - and you only need one blower to do that. The point I was making is that for some of us that have experienced heat related problems with our fuel (possibly caused by ethanol), a second blower forcing air in can't hurt. Makes you wonder why my OEM panel has switches for two blowers. Hmmmmm

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/th_DSC03164.jpg (http://s887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/?action=view&current=DSC03164.jpg)

Jetlink
11-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Redundancy Clint, in case one fails, there's always a back up... In all seriousness, wonder if they had two to increase the efficiency of evacuating any fumes or vapors. Think of all the advances in components over the years.

wotan2525
11-14-2012, 06:16 PM
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/th_DSC03164.jpg (http://s887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/?action=view¤t=DSC03164.jpg)

My lights, blower and ignition are all on the left hand side and I don't have 2 blower switches at all!

suprasam
11-14-2012, 07:38 PM
They could possibly have two cause they used POS parts and knew one would fail! Ha thanks for the help.... Let you ladies know how it turns out.... I have 5 bux I blow two or three fuses before I get this electrical crap figured out.

gogger
11-14-2012, 10:57 PM
My pirata has two blowers. One is mounted near the engine and the other is mounted under a back seat. The both draw air from the engine compartment pretty much in the same area.

Jetlink
11-14-2012, 11:06 PM
I'm all for one fully functional blower to exhaust vapors properly, I just don't see the need for the second.
Hey, I'm the one without the dual battery setup, shutoff, amps, ballast, and all the other gear and still find it hard to find space in my boat. That's up front in the bow and there's even less room in the rear around the gas tank.

Well, the noodles which are proper and necessary floatation devices take up some significant space, then there is that fantastic spread of food that usually gets packed... You are just placing a greater emphasis on things other than tunes and electrical stuff. Bet you still have more room in your boat than I do in mine.

sybrmike
11-14-2012, 11:34 PM
2 blowers on my Salt, both mounted to the transom and exhausting out the transom vents. One draws from a hose inlet just below the gas tank, one from a hose connected to a 3" pvc pipe that runs along the inner stringer to draw air from near the rear of the engine. The opening at the blower intake hose (regardless of how many blowers & where they're located) needs to be near the bottom of the hull - gas vapors are heavier than air and will settle at the bottom.

Both of mine are on a single switch.

Jetlink
11-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Hey Dan, maybe if you permanently took out those "For Sale" signs that you have buried in you boat you can add that second blower motor.

csuggs
11-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Clint, those panels are OEM but are they original to the make and model? I believe the Saltares had or have dual blowers which would make sense as to the dual switches if used from another model. I know you always think I'm busting your chops or something, but I'm not. If you have heat issues, I guess the dual blower setup is cool and works for you.
I only know one boat and how its ran for the last 25 years. I use 93 octane which isn't supposed to have ethanol and I use Seafoam at every fill up. I also put a new Holley carb on and it runs fabulous. (I can say fabulous since I was called a lady.) I'm glad you find alternate solutions that work best for your boat to keep her running and looking great.

I know you're not busting my chops - we've all got opinions based on our own experiences. I admire the way you've kept your boat original and have kept it in such good running order. I thought about a new carb but had mine rebuilt instead. I really think my problems were caused by the gas, not the carb. If you are running 93 Octane with no ethanol, that could be the difference. I run 87 and use the Marine Stabil additive with every fill-up to help reduce the effects of the ethanol. But according to what I've read the ethanol makes the fuel more likely to vaporize at a lower temp than it would without ethanol. I wish I could buy gas without ethanol around here. In the meantime, the addition of the phenolic carb spacer and insulating sleeve around the fuel line seems to have worked well for me.

skiman_61
11-16-2012, 03:18 PM
My '87 Salt has two. One under the right side of the motor against the stringer and one under the back seat. Two switches. Right side of the dash.

ramzak
12-05-2012, 02:30 AM
Its a switch thats operated by another switch.

Purpose: Your "accesory" uses more power than the switch on your dash can safely handle . You install it so that when you flip the "cute nice pretty small" switch on the dash.... It switches a bigger switch than can "flow" enough electricity to operate your accesory (light, blower, etc...)

OK....as you read above I'm an idiot when it comes to electrical, what does a relay do for you? How would it help draw less than wiring straight to fuse panel then to switch? Thanks for the help.

wspeedin
12-05-2012, 08:42 AM
sybrmike, is there anyway we can get some pictures of your setup?
Actually, lets get pictures of everybodies setup. That way those of use who still need to install blowers and piping can figure out the best solution.
Thanks guys!

sybrmike
12-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Here ya go, Will. I pretty much followed the original layout in mine with new blowers and hoses. The port blower draws from an intake that stops just below the gas tank. The starboard blower sucks from the 3" pvc tube attached to the stbd stringer seen in the other picture that draws from closer to the engine. The two outer hoses are just passive vents that also terminate a few inches off of the hull.

11623 11624 11625

88pirata
06-19-2013, 01:22 AM
Sybrmike ,where do your front vents run ,and where do they enter your bilge

haugy
06-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Are you talking about the two vents right below the windshield? They run down into the bilge right below the captains helm and spotter seat. They are simple intakes the provide some air movement while underway.

kvand347
06-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Here ya go, Will. I pretty much followed the original layout in mine with new blowers and hoses. The port blower draws from an intake that stops just below the gas tank. The starboard blower sucks from the 3" pvc tube attached to the stbd stringer seen in the other picture that draws from closer to the engine. The two outer hoses are just passive vents that also terminate a few inches off of the hull.

11623 11624 11625

That's how mine looks except WAY dirtier! I would eat out of your bilge!!

haugy
06-19-2013, 02:53 PM
I would eat out of your bilge!!

In prison, that's considered a marriage proposal.

Jetlink
06-19-2013, 03:00 PM
In prison, that's considered a marriage proposal.

You speaking from personal experience?

On second thought, don't answer that!

Sirgonz
06-19-2013, 07:12 PM
I am installing new blowers in my engine compartment this winter, I am thinking about buying two 4inch blowers. In my other boats that I have owned if I remember right, I remember having two blowers one on each side of compartment towards the back of the motors. Any thoughts and where are your blowers placed? You think there would be any issue with putting them both on the same fuse and switch? (im an idiot when it comes to electrical)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003EX02DA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1DKSSRT9F2JECKWR523Y&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

before you buy this did you see they are only water resistant and the key feature NOT FOR USE WITH CHEMICALS OR FUEL make sure it wont ignite any fumes you have in the bilge!