PDA

View Full Version : Towing with the Cover

myturndad
12-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Picked up my new SSV. Dealer advised not towing with the Supra Cover because the straps would damage the gel coat.

I was really hoping to be able to. Had to pull her in snow for a while and the interior got dirty as a result.

Can anyone tell me what their experience is with towing with their cover.

Thanks,

Doug, t-town

dndsam
12-18-2005, 04:15 PM
I tow my '99 Legacy with it on all the time. As far as the straps go, make sure they can not touch the boat. If they do, do not tow with the cover on. If your straps do not touch the boat, make sure you tie off the excess strap. It can be abrasive on the hull. I have my cover set up with cotton clothes line cord. Works like a champ and will not damage the gelcoat.

dndsam
12-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Make sure the BUCKLES do not touch the gelcoat. Straps are fine, just do not let them flap in the wind. A twist in the strap before you buckle it will prevent it from flapping. Tie off any excess strapping.

IndyMatt
12-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Let me be the voice of experience here. The straps are not fine!!! When I first took delivery of my Sunsport in 04, I towed it about 100 miles. In that time I had rub marks from the nylon straps (the buckles attach on the outside of the straps anyway) rubbing against the hull. Even though the straps dont touch the boat when standing still, wind will cause the straps to batter against the hull. The last time I towed the boat back to the dealer I placed some inexpensive 1 inch foam pipe wrap around the straps and secured with wire ties. If your going on a long trip or vacation it may be worth the expense of shrink wrapping. For shorter trips I typically tow with the cover off. You just got unlucky with the time of delivery. Also when towing long distance, be sure to tape the paddle wheel on your speedo pickup to avoid damage.

DKJBama92Mariah
12-18-2005, 06:50 PM
Congrats on you're 100th post Matt.

Doesnt Supra offer a snap-on canvas cockpit cover, or do you have to order it from the factory so the snaps are on the boat?

DKJ

IndyMatt
12-18-2005, 07:48 PM
The snap on bow & cockpit covers were an option when I ordered my boat. My assumption was that that was so the snaps could be installed during the finish work. I think there is actually a picture in the supra catalog that shows the template for installing the snaps in one of the "our factory" sections. I passed on the snaps because I think they look tacky and if you tow with the snap on covers, they will eventually rip through the canvas and leave you with an expensive repair.

msutoad
12-18-2005, 10:54 PM
I will concur that towing with the synch cover is not a good idea. I have the snap cover on my 04 SSV, and SUPRA says that you can tow with that cover safely upto 60MPH. Now I have towed faster than that, without a problem, but the bottom line is that the snap cover does not chafe the gelcoat, and does not flap in the wind at all.

If you have to tow long distances, then you might want to think about getting the boat setup with the snap cover.

Jason

Ed Obermeier
12-18-2005, 11:58 PM
You CAN tow with the cover on but do it only as a last resort (bad weather etc) to save trashing the interior, on long trips take the cover back off as soon as doable. The secret with straps is that they will rub spots on the gel coat ONLY if they touch the gel coat. When I have to put the cover on while towing I always use duct tape on the hull where the straps may touch (got this tip from an MC dealer...). Also twist the straps as suggested earlier and tie up the loose ends of the straps by tapeing the loose ends onto the straps with a little duct tape so there is no loose end flapping around. Where the straps are located near the hull I go a couple of rows wide on the tape and use two layers so no chance of rub through. The duct tape comes right off a well waxed hull and usually leaves no residue, if you get a little residue wax takes it right off. Any "towing" cover will rub the gel coat no matter how snug you get it. Less so with snap down covers, the tighter they fit the less chance of rubbing.

Sometimes to save the interior from getting trashed by rainy/snowy day "road funk" using the cover is the lesser of the two evils. Keep the straps from actually contacting the gel and you should be good to go. I've used this method since my 2000 Legacy was new and there are no strap rub marks anywhere.

A little tip for snap down covers. If you don't like the snaps in the gel coat (especially around the open bow) have a cover made that snaps down over the rub rail, with the snaps located on the underside of the rub rail. I had my open bow cover made that way. Admittedly it looks a little oddball at first, but I absolutely hate snaps in the gel, especialy right around the edge of the bow where you may rest your arms etc (looks like crap too IMO). A good cover shop can do it no problem.

IndyMatt
12-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Besides the snaps (yes I think it looks bad) it seams the snap on covers have a tendency to rip after a season or two of towing. As stated above reccomended for <60 mph; which in most in town applications is fine but the combination tight stretch and high speed tow will cause the material to break down. The duct tape is an interesting idea bud a tad Jeff Foxworthy (sorry Ed). I was just curious, someone mentioned using the coton jacketed rope in place of the nylon straps. Other family members have used this method for years without problems. The one thing done differently is that the cover is tied to itself (loop to loop on opposite side) this way the cover is tied snugly to the hull and the cords dont flap in the wind like when strapping to the trailer. One thing I can say about the snap on covers, they probably do a better job keeping the boat dry in a heavy rain. When my boat is in the water, the only way to secure the cover is with the draw string (strap) and the lift eye tie downs. I still get puddling on either side of the motor box towards the rear of the boat.

Ed Obermeier
12-19-2005, 11:21 PM
The duct tape works, I guarantee it. Yeah, it may be a little white trashy but since I generally go for function over looks it's not an issue to me. Haven't tried the cotton cord but I don't personally like the idea of anything at all against my hull and I know the duct tape works, so...

dndsam
12-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Ed,

You are on the money in regard to the straps. As posted earlier, you must tie up the loose ends to keep the straps from touching the gel coat. I usually tie them back into each other with multiple overhand knots to avoid contact with the gel coat. If the straps flap against the gel coat, you WILL dull the finish. Cotton cording is the best I have used, and do not need duct tape. The cotton cording is a softer material than the nylon strapping.

wakedude125
06-28-2006, 09:33 PM
We have towed our 06 sunsport 24 twice. The first time the rubbing marks from straps came off with a wet towel. The next week we took it on a roadtrip. When we got home we went out the next weekend and we took the cover off, the rubbing marks from the straps had gone through our supra decal and made black marks that could not be removed. All in all don't ever drive with cover unless you absolutly have to in rain or snow. We are going to buy another decal soon.

OUI
06-29-2006, 04:27 PM
I have a snap on bow and cockpit covers and they work great. 70+mph with no problems.

senna1
06-29-2006, 05:54 PM
I went with the fitted Rankin cover which is supposed to be towable without straps or snaps. It better be for the price!

IndyMatt
06-30-2006, 10:23 AM
Senna,
Be careful, the strapless covers are generally mouring covers for use when your boat is stationary... it may say towable but I think I would strap it down somehow... if only as a safety measure in case if flies off

flynbryn
07-10-2006, 02:57 PM
We always spilt tennis balls and wedge between the straps and the boat. Works great...

myturndad
07-10-2006, 03:15 PM
I brought this thread up so I need to give a update.

Over the 4th of July Holiday going to tablerock I really need to attempt to use the cover since we had so much stuff going on the trip.

I took someone's advice and went to Lowes and purchased some round pipe insulation. (1 inch I believe). Before I tightened the straps I put a piece on the round stuff around the strap just barley under the boat going up the strap to the buckle. Then I tightened the straps and taped the extra with black electrical tape to the insulation.

I stopped 3 times on the trip to check and not a single problem with any gel coat. It worked perfect.

db

lowdrag
07-11-2006, 01:38 AM
One more note. I quit towing my boat with the snap on cover as well unless I have to. My dealer informed me that it will void the cover warranty. Anyone else heard this?