PDA

View Full Version : Steering Cable Replacement for 91 Conbrio

Paul 22
11-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Every time I a call a dealer I get please take the cable out for a replacement size. Would anyone know the cable part number and the difficulty in the installation?

wotan2525
11-20-2012, 02:42 PM
The guys at skidim.com will know the length of the cable that you need. Just call or email them.

The difficulty of installation is medium. Disconnect both ends, Tape a string/rope to your old one... pull it out (hopefully leaving the string rope in it's place)... attach string/rope to new one and pull it back through. It never works QUITE that slick, but it's not a super difficult install.

Paul 22
11-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Thank you for the help, I will contact skidim.com....................

jasun
11-20-2012, 05:03 PM
on this topic, do you need a puller to get the steering wheel off? I tried to get mine off, but it looks like it is pressed onto the shaft....

wotan2525
11-21-2012, 11:29 AM
You probably need a puller. Both my local auto parts stores "rent" them for free w/ a deposit.

sybrmike
11-21-2012, 12:43 PM
A second for Skidim - they'll know. Check for clamps holding the cable against the inner stringer in the bilge before you start pulling. Also have a rag handy, the cable end will be covered with grease when pulled from the helm. Not a difficult task, but access to the tiller arm connection might be tight & can take a little trial & error to get the rudder aligned after the new cable is installed. Once the new cable is installed at the helm, rotate the wheel lock to lock to find the center, align the rudder straight, attach the aft end of the cable to the tiller arm, then tighten the clamp block.

Steering: Mine required a puller - with metric bolts for the hub (the only metric fasteners I found on my Salt?)

Paul 22
11-27-2012, 05:30 PM
You probably need a puller. Both my local auto parts stores "rent" them for free w/ a deposit.

Not sure on this unit why you would need to remove the wheel. It looks like you feed it in the side and lock the cable down with a nut.

wotan2525
11-27-2012, 06:57 PM
The kits come with an entire helm assembly which do require you to pull the steering wheel. As long as you are replacing the cable, you should go ahead and replace the helm as well.