PDA

View Full Version : Prop Selection

Dinoz
01-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Hey all,

Looking to buy a new prop, debating between a 3 blade or a 4 blade. I have an '89 Supra Comp with the 240 hp PCM. Would a 4 blade be a better choice with this motor? Or should I stay with the factory 3 blade?

Thanks for the help,

DZ

IndyMatt
01-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Ahhh.... the Age old question... Old faithful as it were.... Prop selection. The debate continues. With such a wide variety of possibilities... its always a good idea to use the factory setup as a rule of thumb. What do you want to improve on with a new prop?? Hole shot (acceleration) or top end?? How do you use your boat? Quick flat pulls for skiing or heavy slow (big wake) pulls for the wakeboard. Horse power and motor type are less important than gear reduction, transmission and acceptable RPM at WOT. I think the present day Imdmars still want 4800-5200RPM at WOT. If you under pitch you can increase the RPM to a harmful range. One very helpful resource is calling some of the prop manufacts and getting their advice. My favorite thing is to find a good marina in your area that will actually let you try a few props before selecting one. Of course, asking around during spring time... you might not find a lot of shops to be very receptive as they are swarmed with spring run ins. Good luck & for what its worth Correct Craft (Natique) still uses 3 blade props as OEM.

KenG
01-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Indy makes a good point; it depends on what you are looking for in performance. Testing different props is always the best way to go although easier said than done.

Quite sometime ago, I changed my Legacy from the original 3-blade OJ (13x13) to a 4-blade OJ (13x14). This change resulted in a slightly quicker hole shot along with a smoother feeling drive train with essentially the same WOT RPM (~4,800).

Dinoz
01-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I did end up buying an Acme 4 blade, 13 x 12.5. OEM on is 13 x 12 with the 3 blade. The boat is used for skiing 98% of the time, 2% putzing around the lake. Hole shot is always key for us, and I have been told that it should run smoother as well, less vibration. Unfortunately I now need to wait for the snow to clear up, 3 more months to go!!

Cheers,

DZ.