PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Supra Launch - Rear Storage Compartment

ziggi
10-03-2002, 05:12 PM
Has anyone run into any problems with keeping the Rear Storage Locker open on a Launch?

My boat is equipped with the shower option, which is mounted in the rear locker, but there is no way to keep the lid open. I used a vest to prop it open this weekend, but the is not going to be a long-term solution. I'm surprised that the lid is not controlled with gas charged shocks on either end. Seems like it would be an easy thing to do at the factory, but I certainly don't want to drill into my brand new boat!

Any suggestions?

FYI - I love this new boat, great to board out of!

ziggi
10-07-2002, 04:30 PM
Does anyone at Supra monitor this board? I was not expecting this much of a delay in response from a board hosted on Supra's site!

Thanks

:)

Jim Jackson
10-08-2002, 09:48 AM
The reason the rear storage locker does not have shocks was to allow it to open over 90 degrees so you can access it from inside the boat. Try opening it a few times and pushing it toward the cockpit of the boat. You may need to compress the foam slightly, and the lid should stay open. If the boat is heavily weighted toward the rear, the angle may not allow it to stay open.

ziggi
10-08-2002, 04:27 PM
I don't really see anyway to access this compartment from inside the boat. The lid would need to completely fold back 180 degrees for that. I will see if it gets better over time, but I don't think that will be an adaquate solution. It doesn't appear to me that the hinges will allow the lid to go back far enough to stay open without something supporting it.

dmgx
10-28-2002, 11:43 AM
The reason we don't have the shocks on the Launch is that the Trunk is molded into the boat, and it is very difficult to get to the back side in order to thru-bolt the shocks. Sorry for the delay. Jay Warren

05-01-2003, 09:29 PM
I would like to see the rear deck design change to be like that on the Moomba....cut in half, down the middle. That way, no matter which side of the boat you are on, you have access to the hatch. Simple idea, dont know why they haven't changed it by now. Couldn't cost more than the current design (and if it did, it couldn't be that much)!

09-28-2003, 12:39 AM
Where can you obtain charged shocks? I need a small one to hold open a hatch on the front of a sailboat. Thanks Hank

waterboy
10-11-2003, 02:52 AM
Ziggi,
I have a 2001 Outback with the a rear storage locker, not sure if it's similar to yours. I cut a short section of PVC with an angle on one end, and flat on the other to use as a prop rod. Glue a piece of foam rubber to the flat end so it doesn't scratch the lip of the compartment, and you're good to go! I keep mine in the locker, and use it when I'm changing out skis or letting the carpet back there dry out. What length you use and the angle needed to line up with the lid depends on how far you want it to stay open. I put a bolt on the underside of the lid, off to one side for the prop rod to hold on to....otherwise it will slip off. It needs to be on one side or the other for easy access. If you're gonna prop it up for any length of time to dry out or whatever, prop it up in the middle, with the lid fairly high up. This will help avoid any warpage.

Brian