PDA

View Full Version : Propellers

IndyMatt
02-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Alright gearheads... and prop heads!! A general question, hopefully simplified about prop selection. As we all know, Factory direct drive spinners (2004) were a 4 blade NiBrAl 13x13x1LH. I have been looking around for a spare prop and came across a rather reasonable (dirt cheap) 3 blade 13x13x1LH. This would be a back-up to the OEM so I am not really looking for any gain in performance, just similar abilities if somthing should happen to my factory spinner. Anyone have any experience with this?? Any recommendations??

Ed Obermeier
02-07-2006, 05:56 PM
My 2000 Legacy came from the factory with a 3 blade 13x13 nibral. I did upgrade a year later to a 4 blade nibral, the 3 blade is now my backup (which fortunately I haven't needed...yet). I think you'd be fine with it, and if it's a good deal why not?

The 3 blade was fine but I like the 4 blade better, better hole shot and I think it improved the wake slightly.

DKJBama92Mariah
02-08-2006, 12:31 AM
I'm not sure where i read it, but i think the general rule for going from a 3 to a 4 blade is that you should drop an inch in either pitch or diameter. This prop would probably be a little too "short" for you, but would be fine as a backup. I would just avoif WOT runs on that prop just make sure you dont overrev. I just wish i could find a good deal on something close to mine to have as a backup. I always hate being without the boat for a week when the prop has to go to the shop (there are a lot of logs and trash on my lake). Mine is a 14x16 b/c my boat has the 1.23:1 tranny, and i havent seen one yet. I just keep my eyes peeled for a good deal. If anyone happens to run upon one, i'd appreciate a PM.

Cheers,
DKJ

IndyMatt
02-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the info guys... Bama when you say short do you think I shoud increase diameter, pitch or both? Like I said, Im just looking for a backup so if I do need to have some work done it doesnt take the boat out of commission. In regards to picking up props... look at ebay every once in a while.... there is not much there now but I just picked up a 14x18x1/18 Nibral (For dads Tige) for $47.55. Listed as used but no nicks or dings... looks new. Its an OJ Force 4 retail is $358.00 too good to pass up.

IndyMatt
02-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Ed,
Do you remember if there was a significant RPM/WOT when you upgraded?

02-08-2006, 05:36 PM
Bama,

Check out http://parts.listings.ebay.ca/Boats-Watercraft-Parts_Propellers_W0QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ17QQloglZ1QQsaca tZ26456QQsascsZ1QQsocmdZListingItemList

There is a company that has your new 14x16x 1 1/8 Prop. Not much of a bargain though... I think they are $249.95.

IndyMatt
02-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Bama,

Check out: http://parts.listings.ebay.ca/Boats-Watercraft-Parts_Propellers_W0QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ17QQloglZ1QQsaca tZ26456QQsascsZ1QQsocmdZListingItemList

Not sure what your shaft size is but there is a listing for a new 14x16x11/8 for 249.95. Not much of a bargain but better than the 350+ that most shops are selling them for.

Ed Obermeier
02-08-2006, 05:50 PM
No noticable difference in WOT RPM, and I don't think I lost much if any top end. I seldom have ever taken this boat WOT, no good reason to except to pull the very occasional barefooter. Not sure of the pitch on the 4 blade, I think it's a 14 but not positive. I got it from a buddy who was running it on a 99 Comp, he sold the boat and sold me his 4 blade (put his original 3 blade back on it to sell) so I knew it would be a match.

BW2-LTS
02-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Last year I tested props for my 04 LTS. Stock was a 13x13 SS 4 blade. I tested three
nibral 3 blade props, 13x12.5 -- 13x12 -- 13x11.5. The 13x12.5 had almost no difference in RPM or top end with a little slower hole shot (1/10th of a sec.) The props I tested were all O.J. CNC matched. If the prop you are thinking of buying is not CNC matched you will probably notice a little more vibration but the overall performance
will be real close.

IndyMatt
02-19-2006, 09:33 AM
Alright... Stupid question. Can anyone tell me, by looking at a prop, how to tell if its a LH or RH rotation? My assumption has always been that the broad side of the blade would be on the opposite side on one vs the other. I went to Skidim.com and the photos of the props are identical in regards to blade position. I purchased a 13x13LH from ebay but when I received it, stamped on the hub next to the dimensions is an arrow that suggests a right hand or clockwise rotation.

OUI
02-19-2006, 02:49 PM
If it's stamped 13x13LH then it's a left hander. If nothing else -- through it on the boat and see what direction you go when you put it in forward.

BW2-LTS
02-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Neither of my props have an arrow or LH - RH stamped. If you look at the prop from the front (side that is stamped) the leading edge of a LH will be set back further than the trailing edge. I am talking about one blade only. Look at the prop with one blade at the 6;00 position if the blade slopes right it is LH, if it slopes left it is a RH. Hope I did not cunfuse the !$#% out of you.

BW2-LTS
02-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Neither of my props have an arrow or LH - RH stamped. If you look at the prop from the front (side that is stamped) the leading edge of a LH will be set back further than the trailing edge. I am talking about one blade only. Look at the prop with one blade at the 6;00 position if the blade slopes right it is LH, if it slopes left it is a RH. Hope I did not cunfuse the !$#% out of you.

IndyMatt
02-20-2006, 10:05 AM
Well, Everything I know about props (thats not much) tells me that this is a left hand rotation. I wouldnt have even given it a second thought if it were not for that arrow stamped into the front (stern side) of the hub, suggesting a clockwise or RH rotation. I would just go compare it to the prop on the boat but its in storage!! So here is a picture for anyone who wants to respond and put me at ease over wether this is a right or left rotating prop.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/MTrownsell/3BladeProp.jpg

IndyMatt
02-20-2006, 10:14 AM
Here is the Hub... Im not sure if you will be able to read it or not;

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c312/MTrownsell/DSC01417.jpg

BW2-LTS
02-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Yes that looks like a LH. The arrow probably just points where the key goes. If you have any questions about the prop call Eric Johnson at Johnson Propellers (O.J. Props). I don't have their # handy but I would say it is on their website.

OUI
02-20-2006, 09:13 PM
It's a left hander. Think of the prop as an auger/drill. It digs it self into the water and pushes you forward.

IndyMatt
02-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Yeah... convential wisdom says left; I just cant figure out whats up with the arrow stamped into the hub??

1988comp
04-12-2006, 11:35 PM
4-blade props are gimmick, just more mass, heavier, and less performance.

If you disagree, you are an idiot.

I can prove it if you want.

IndyMatt
04-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Well, interesting... Ive never sought out a four blade prop... Two months ago we all shared in this discussion as I picked up a three blade NiBrAl spare very inexpensively, but I would be curious to hear your logic in why three blade props are better. Im sure there is some truth there, but maybe you can explain it so the idiots like me and... uhm oh yeah the engineers for every major ski boat in production (except correct craft) save all kinds of money by upgrading to the four blades. Hint... Make sure you look up displacement to cavitation ratios in hole shot, especially as hull weight increases; before you answear. By the way, you bought a boat that is made out of wood.

Brian Raymond
04-14-2006, 04:24 PM
OJ propellers phone # is 800.359.9730, or website; www.ojprops.com. Brian Raymond

DKJBama92Mariah
04-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by 1988comp
If you disagree, you are an idiot.

Feel better? Was that comment REALLY necessary?

DKJ

Dinoz
04-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Just shows us who the real idiot is.....