11-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Need help all wood is rotten. Do I part it out or fix it. Has a 454 with 233hrs

TitanTn
11-26-2012, 09:17 PM
You have three options.

1. Pay someone to fix it
2. Fix it yourself
3. Sell it/Part it out

You're the only one who can make the decision ultimately. The work is not hard, but you need a space, time, and some money for materials. And if you pay someone to repair it, it'll be a chunk of change, but you'll have a boat that will last you forever at a fraction of the cost of a newer boat.

If neither of the first two options are to your liking, you can just sell it. If you'd like a Supra with non-wood stringers you'll need to look at something 1992 or newer, but again, your initial purchase cost goes up.

Many guys here have fixed it themselves. Some have paid to have it repaired. Do some searches on this forum. You'll find stories of both options. And for that matter, look in the classified section and you'll find some guys who have parted some out.

Personally, I hope it makes sense to rebuild it. I love seeing these old classics gain a new lease on life.

haugy
11-26-2012, 09:21 PM
I think you're screwed. I'll do you a favor and come pick it up for you.

Jetlink
11-26-2012, 09:27 PM
I think you're screwed. I'll do you a favor and come pick it up for you.I call dibs on the 454...thinking a comp with a 454 might suit me better...:D

TitanTn
11-26-2012, 09:59 PM
Wow. You guys are really helping the newbie!

Jetlink
11-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Wow. You guys are really helping the newbie!

Well, when the second post of the thread pretty much lays out all the conventional avenues available, what else is there to say? I'd personally love to rebuild it myself but I just don't have the space available to even restore my boat let alone another one. Where is this boat at anyways? Might be worth a call to Donny as like you said, it's a great boat for a fraction of the cost of new.

Jetlink
11-26-2012, 10:15 PM
I guess I could have just said, "Yeah, what Titan said!"

Here's the thread drift... Did sunsports have an option for a big block? Thought they were all small block ford power.

Akin
11-26-2012, 10:24 PM
you can come get if you will fix it and bring it back. I'm in Northeast Georgia

bens250ex
11-26-2012, 10:47 PM
just dont scrap it, if you want to sell then price it right for someone that is willing to rebuild it and more than likely someone will scoop it up

TitanTn
11-26-2012, 11:01 PM
I guess I could have just said, "Yeah, what Titan said!"

Here's the thread drift... Did sunsports have an option for a big block? Thought they were all small block ford power.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Maybe it's been "upgraded."

you can come get if you will fix it and bring it back. I'm in Northeast Georgia

You're not far from me, and certainly within striking distance of Donny Bennett's Boat Repair in Maryville, TN - recognized on this forum (and from many others) as the best boat works place around.

csuggs
11-27-2012, 09:20 AM
... Did sunsports have an option for a big block? Thought they were all small block ford power.

Yep - not too many around though.

Akin - If you want a classic direct drive boat for keeps, then fix it or have it fixed. If you do it right then you will end up with a boat that is better than it was when new, but with old-school design. In other words . . . you won't have the open cockpit of a v-drive or the convenience of ballast that is out of the way. If those things are important to you, then sell the boat and look for a v-drive that is in your price range. I did the former option and am pretty happy . . . . but the newer boats are nice too.

Akin
11-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Guys thanks for all your input. Still not sure what I'm gonna do about the boat. If someone is interested in the boat pm me. If I don't restore the sunsport would love for someone to.

suprasam
11-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Akin.....what part of N.GA are you in? I'm on the Cartersville side of Allatoona area. If you have any pictures of the boat post them and I might make an offer.....I would take parts, then sell the rest so just let me know. Thanks

Akin
11-27-2012, 01:16 PM
I live around Lake Hartwell. Here are a few pics

TitanTn
11-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Man, that boat looks perfect for a restoration project. Don't part it out!! (sorry Ben and Eric).

And being around Hartwell, Keowee, and Jocassee means that you really need a boat! My vote is to sell it to someone who wants to restore it, or restore it yourself.

ckracing
11-27-2012, 04:26 PM
If you opt to sell entire package - PM me.
Thanks!

Jetlink
11-27-2012, 04:31 PM
No hard feelings, if I had the time and resources I'd consider it as a good project. Otherwise I'd totally consider the power plant swap...

bens250ex
12-02-2012, 10:28 AM
pm me with a price you have in mind, im located in birmingham,al

haugy
12-03-2012, 10:21 AM
What kind of number are you wanting for it? That is a great color scheme for the old Sunsports. Not too flashy. I mean it could be gawdy and hideous, like orange and red or something........

Akin
12-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Called and talked to Donny to get a price to fix the stringers and floor. Looking at some shops closer to home, if Donny was a little closer it would be there tomorrow. I really don't know a price for the boat but will listen to all offers. Just PM and we can talk.

TitanTn
12-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Your travels may be a little further than mine but worth the trip for sure. I didn't hesitate.
Post some pics up and let's see this ride of yours.

Actually, according to Google Maps, he's only about 30 minutes further than your trip (approximate since I don't know the exact start location).

Akin
12-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Well I guess it started Monday. Any recommendations would be welcome. Got motor out ,cap off and 75 percent of the foam out.

Jetlink
12-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Not messing around are you?